Welcome To aBlackWeb

Racists are in their feelings over Kap’s new Nike ad

Raheem Sterling features in Nike advert after inspiring debate on racism following alleged abuse

Sterling turned the spotlight on the media's coverage of young black players following alleged racial abuse at Stamford Bridge

Nike have released an advert featuring Raheem Sterling which is similar to their famous campaign with NFL player Colin Kaepernick.

Sterling, who is sponsored by the American sports company, has been praised for drawing attention to the coverage of black footballers following alleged racist abuse aimed at him during Manchester City’s match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Sterling scored in Manchester City's 3-1 win against Everton following a week where he has inspired a national debate about racism in football.

Following the alleged abuse, Sterling took to Instagram to highlight the difference in the media portrayal between black and white young footballers, citing an example from MailOnline. “I am not normally the person to talk a lot but when I think I need my point to heard I will speak up,” he said.

“Regarding what was said at the Chelsea game as you can see by my reaction I just had to laugh because I don’t expect no better. For example you have two young players starting out there careers both play for the same team, both have done the right thing. Which is buy a new house for there mothers who have put in a lot of time and love into helping them get where they are, but look how the news papers get there message across for the young black player and then for the young white payer.

“I think this in unacceptable both innocent have not done a thing wrong but just by the way it has been worded. This young black kid is looked at in a bad light. Which helps fuel racism an aggressive behaviour, so for all the news papers that don’t understand why people are racist in this day and age all i have to say is have a second thought about fair publicity an give all players an equal chance.”

Chelsea and the Metropolitan Police are investigating the allegations of racial abuse and the club has temporarily banned four supporters until the result of the outcome is announced.

Several footballers have expressed their support for Sterling and shared their own experiences of racism, while the Premier League issued a statement urging fans to cut out ‘unacceptable’ behaviour.

“As we head into the festive season, with matches coming thick and fast, we ask all supporters to get behind their teams in passionate, positive and respectful ways. Support for a club should never include excessive aggression or discrimination towards the opposition,” read the league's statement.

“If anyone at a Premier League match witnesses unacceptable behaviour please report it to a steward, or submit details on the Kick It Out reporting app or website via this link: Kick It Out reporting form.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...acism-abuse-chelsea-news-latest-a8685111.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...sk-duty-over-instagram-post-defending-n945236

N.C. state trooper on desk duty over Instagram post defending police brutality

The account appeared to be taken down mid-morning on Friday.

A longtime North Carolina state trooper is on administrative duty over an Instagram post he allegedly wrote in which his message to victims of police brutality was that police "gave you what you deserved."

Sgt. Jonathan K. Whitley is being investigated by highway patrol after an opinionated and offensive post appeared on the Instagram account jkwhitley2608, State Highway Patrol Sgt. Michael Baker said.

The author of the post included “just a few random thoughts” about the media, the president and the NFL, among other topics. The account appeared to be taken down mid-morning on Friday.

"If you act like a fool toward police and you tote a beat down, don’t get on TV in hopes of getting your check. The police already gave you what you deserved," the post said regarding police brutality, reported The News & Observer.

The poster also said he didn't own a slave and "I owe you nothing. Including your HUD housing and EBT card," referring to Housing and Urban Development's affordable housing options and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program allowances provided to low-income families.

The poster said he highly respects the American flag and the military but feels “the exact opposite for the NFL.”

He also expressed contempt for "weak leaders," the public education system, "whiners," Democrats and the media, who he said are mostly "anti-American liberal supporting communist, and I can’t stand them.”

As for President Donald Trump, the poster seemed to have an affinity.

"President Trump will not be impeached, much less removed from office,” the post said. “I can’t wait to vote for him again.”

Whitley has worked for the highway patrol for 23 years, Baker said.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/12/15/no-one-wants-to-play-with-maroon-5-at-the-super-bowl/

No One Wants to Play With Maroon 5 At the Super Bowl

Maroon 5 will play during halftime of Super Bowl LIII. And that’s fine. They have some pretty good jams. The dirty little secret about the gig is that you can’t please everyone, so the NFL tries to please a majority of people. That’s how you get relatively uninspired choices like Coldplay, who was also fine.

One would think that playing on one of the world’s biggest stages would be intensely appealing, but that’s not the case this year. Apparently Maroon 5 is having trouble lining up guests to jam with them, per a US Weekly report. But it’s not really because of anything Adam Levine-related.

“No one wants to associate themselves with the NFL” in light of its response to Colin Kaepernick’s protest against police brutality,” a source told the magazine.

Maroon 5 reportedly tried to get Cardi B to guest, but failed. Whichever artist or group ends up accepting will now be scrutinized because the Kaepernick issue has been introduced. It will be interesting to see which act, if any, wants to take that on.

Meanwhile, poor Maroon 5 has to keep reminding itself not to take it personally.

Im with david banner on this.
Tine stamped

Most people knew that Nike is just riding this guy’s wave. But he is getting paid from Nike and using his funds and hopefully some of their funds to help with his projects.

But most of the people I know understood what it was with Nike. Shit, most of the owners in the NFL don’t really give a shit about patriotism. They just don’t want to fuck up their bottom line. They are about their money 1st and foremost like David said in the interview.

Great drop though

https://www.newsweek.com/rush-limba...-trump-jared-kushner-criminal-justice-1267110

Rush Limbaugh: Colin Kaepernick, Black NFL Players Don't Need to Kneel After Trump Criminal Justice Reform Bill

Longtime right-wing radio commentator and provocateur Rush Limbaugh said black NFL players including Colin Kaepernick don't "need to kneel anymore" thanks to the successful Senate passage of a criminal justice reform bill backed by President Donald Trump and Jared Kushner.

The Rush Limbaugh Show host complained Democrats "are getting all the credit for having compassion and concern for the nation's minorities," despite his claim former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton "did not even lift a finger" on behalf of prison reform. Limbaugh applauded White House Senior Adviser and Trump son-in-law Kushner as well as his wife and fellow adviser Ivanka for spearheading the "First Step Act" legislation. The bill passed a final Senate vote Tuesday 87-12 and Limbaugh lauded the success in a piece entitled, "Trump Delivered What Colin Kaepernick Kneeled For."

The bill only affects federal prisoners, which make up about 10 percent of the country's overall prison population, and focuses on the reduction of mandatory sentences for non-violent drug offenses. Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan joined its bipartisan supporters in the Senate, tweet Tuesday the bill is "about giving more Americans a chance at redemption."

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick started the anti-police brutality kneeling protests during the playing of the National Anthem during 2016 season games. Limbaugh claimed "left-wing radical protesters" have only protested and Democrats have only talked about criminal justice reform -- but "Trump did it!"

"This, by the way, is one of the things that Colin Kaepernick was taking a knee for during the national anthem when he was on the San Francisco 49ers," Limbaugh said Wednesday. "This is one of the things he was protesting. So now nobody needs to kneel anymore. There don’t need to be any protests because we’ve got prison reform. Trump to the rescue. Trump did it! And these people all protesting Trump, they’re all thinking Trump is the bad guy here, and Trump is the president where this finally happens!"

Limbaugh heckled Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for failing to change sentencing guidelines that treated offenses involving crack and powder cocaine equally. "They have been on this crusade for, I don't know how long!"

The conservative commentator ridiculed news reports that blamed "evil white people" and "hardline conservatives" including Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton for trying to stop the bipartisan bill's Senate passage.

"The Democrats have done nothing on this but talk about it," Limbaugh complained. "They’ve done nothing but demand it. Left-wing radical protesters have done nothing but protest over it. Nobody’s ever done anything about it until Trump came along. I think the Democrats secretly are not all that in favor of this."

"Yet it's the Trump administration where something happens. Evil white people! Donald Trump and Jared and Ivanka," Limbaugh continued.

"There isn’t one politician in this country on the federal level who tried to do anything but stroke their chins about this over the years! Even The One, Barack Hussein O. He didn’t even try to do anything about it seriously. He did not even lift a finger. Hillary Clinton never mentioned it," Limbaugh added.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/p...-kneeling-national-anthem/stories/20181227166

Southview cheerleader kneels during national anthem before games

When Nia Snelling arrives at the Southview High School gymnasium before another boys basketball game, the senior is just another cheerleader.

Like her teammates, she’s smiled and laughed before Thursday’s holiday tournament game against Maumee Valley Country Day.

As pregame warmups came to an end, the announcer made his typical statements, and the stands filled with fans. There wasn’t any indication Miss Snelling is any different from a typical 17-year-old with the same effervescent smile, same uniform, same excitement.

But as the first chords of the national anthem began to ring out over the gym’s P.A. system, Miss Snelling dropped to one knee, and it became apparent she’s anything but a typical teenager.

“The National Anthem states, ‘Land of the free,’ yet minorities often times have to fear for their lives and still face blatant injustice,” Miss Snelling said. “I just feel like, why should I stand for an anthem, one, written by a slave owner, and two, that promises something that isn’t being used in America.

“It’s not like I’m ungrateful towards America or this is a statement against the flag or [military] troops. I’m extremely grateful for the experiences and opportunities America has given me. I just think it’s time to assess the discrimination in society.”

Miss Snelling plans to kneel at all the games this season and will engage in more social activism. She is taking a cue from former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who took a knee during the anthem in 2016 to protest police brutality and racial injustice in the country. Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers at the end of that season and hasn’t appeared on a NFL roster since, leading many to wonder if his inability to receive a job from NFL teams is related to the public backlash over his protest.

His protest has sparked similar actions from other NFL players, including Terrell Suggs and Mike Evans, while at different times members of the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, and Cleveland Browns have followed suit.

After Miss Snelling spoke with her father, Che Snelling, about the NFL protests, she decided to make a similar statement. Mr. Snelling said he made sure, “this wasn’t something she was doing because it was trendy or something that was popular.”

“If you want to do this, it has to be in your heart and you have to be willing to receive some backlash,” he said. “I also made sure she that she understood this is not a debate; we’re not here to change people’s minds. We’re here to open up dialogue to get people to share their own particular truths of how they feel.”

During the anthem before Thursday’s game as Miss Snelling again took a knee, her parents and a handful of others remained seated in the stands, showing their support. As word of her protest spread on Facebook recently, people have committed to attending future games and staying seated as well.

Miss Snelling has received support from her parents, teammates, and the school. And even the opinion of her fellow students seems to be swaying. Last year, she said the opinions seemed to be split between positive and negative. This year, her classmates all appear to support her.

Amy Addington, communications coordinator for Sylvania Schools, said: “The district doesn’t have a policy against kneeling during the anthem as long as it is not done in a disruptive manner. It is her First Amendment right.” When approached for comment, coaches and administration at Southview High School were under orders to give none.

After kneeling before a Dec. 18 game at Wauseon, the social media response to Miss Snelling’s protest was loud. While she’s received a response from social media before, the overwhelming attention from that game was something different.

Various posts on Facebook expressed contempt and displeasure with her actions, including a photo of her kneeling while her teammates stood. Some commenters claimed she was doing it for attention or used expletives to describe her. Other posts expressed their disapproval based upon their perception of Miss Snelling disrespecting the American flag and military personnel who have and are fighting to defend her freedoms.

After receiving the negative comments, Miss Snelling admitted she was scared for the safety of her teammates, who might be unwitting participants if someone tried to physically interrupt her. But after a conversation with the administration at Southview High School, she felt better about her safety and that of those around her.

“I feel more protected,” she said. “I didn’t find any of [the commenters] threatening. It just seemed like they’re hiding behind a computer screen, like they’re big bullies.”

When she comes down to it, though, Miss Snelling understands this is her personal decision, and the reactions are something she will have to deal with.

“I really didn’t care about what anyone else had to say because I know my own personal truth,” she said. “I know the reasoning behind what I’m doing. [The social media responses are] tools to put me down or instill fear in me, but it’s just really not working. I’m going to continue to do what I’m doing.”

NSL-kneel-1.jpg

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/...iative-part-social-change-partnership-players

NFL launches Inspire Change initiative as part of social change partnership with players

As part of its partnership with players on social justice issues, the NFL on Friday kicked off its Inspire Change initiative, highlighting the league's wide-ranging efforts to effect positive change in underprivileged communities.

A new television spot, which showcases owners and players collaborating in the first season of their seven-year, multimillion-dollar deal, will air this weekend during the divisional playoffs and continue through the Super Bowl. Within the new initiative, the league will promote its work in education and economic development, community and police relations, and criminal justice reform.

The league and the Players Coalition, the main group that negotiated with owners on behalf of players who protested during the national anthem the past three seasons to bring attention to racial injustice, will also participate in several events related to social justice during Super Bowl week in Atlanta. Founded by Philadelphia Eagles defensive back Malcolm Jenkins and former NFL wide receiver Anquan Boldin, the coalition, with the NFL's help, has been a leader among activist groups in championing criminal justice reform.

The coalition and the NFL have come a long way together, said Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations. He played a key role in brokering the agreement, which as recently as last season seemed highly unlikely to be completed.

"Now, with a season behind us, look at where we are going into 2019," Vincent said via telephone. "I'm talking about a true partnership. I'm talking about policy change. I'm talking about using the platform for the greater good. So that part is not only refreshing, it's like, 'Look at what we can do when we actually work together.'"

Likewise, Anna Isaacson, the NFL's senior vice president of social responsibility, is pleased with the direction of things. However, she acknowledged that the NFL must continue to play the long game to truly make a difference.

"We've come a long way, but we have room to keep growing. That's an important piece for us to constantly look at," Isaacson said via telephone. "We have been in this for the last couple of years. We've done the listening. We've met with dozens of organizations. We've heard from people. We've heard from our players.

"And now we're in a place where we can put a stake in the ground and actually make an impact. But we [the NFL and players] have a lot of work to do, and there's a lot of work to do in our communities. This is a long-term commitment."

In 2018, the NFL committed $8.5 million to the social justice partnership, a league spokesperson wrote in an email. Additionally, the NFL Foundation provided $2 million in grants for clubs, retired players and active players. The total commitment in 2019 is expected to reach $12 million.

However, the figures don't include money raised by clubs and players as part of the social justice matching funds that each club has established. Over the length of the league's deal with players, the total commitment could exceed $89 million, the spokesperson wrote.

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick had a major role in starting the process. By first sitting and then kneeling during the national anthem more than two years ago to shine a light on police brutality and systemic oppression, Kaepernick ignited a movement and thrust the NFL into a nationwide debate about the meaning of equality. Friday's launch of the initiative traces back to Kaepernick's initial decision to protest during the anthem.

The league's detractors argue that, considering its vast financial resources, commissioner Roger Goodell and owners haven't committed enough money in an attempt to improve society as a whole.

The NFL is doing what it can, Vincent said. And most important, he added, it's doing what it should.

"We're not a social justice group, and we will never be that," Vincent said. "We're just playing a part in the general conversation. Are we doing our part? We've made progress. But we're not there yet."

5E3BF32E-ACF2-4E13-8FC8-C489EBB3D08D.gif

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...kaepernick-deserves-nfl-spot-poll/2536958002/

Colin Kaepernick deserves NFL roster spot, according to 95 percent of players in recent poll

In a poll conducted by The Athletic over the past six weeks, 95 percent of defensive players interviewed said they believe Colin Kaepernick should be on an NFL roster.

Kaepernick, who was the first player to kneel during the national anthem as a means of protesting police brutality and racial inequality, last played in the NFL during the 2016 season. He filed a collusion grievance against NFL owners in Oct. 2017.

Eighty-five defensive players anonymously participated in The Athletic's survey, according to the web site, of which 81 said Kaepernick deserves a roster spot. Two players voted "no" to that question, and two more declined to comment, according to The Athletic.

In response to another question about which active quarterback Kaepernick deserves to replace, several players indicated that the former San Francisco 49er is worthy of a backup job, and three said specifically that he would be a backup if signed.

The Athletic said players from 25 different teams participated in its poll but did not specify which teams were not represented, nor how the participants were selected.

Despite his choice to largely eschew interview requests over the past year, Kaepernick's absence from the NFL has remained in the public eye, buoyed by active players like Carolina Panthers safety Eric Reid, who has openly campaigned for Kaepernick to return to the league. Nike also featured Kaepernick in an advertising campaign in September with the slogan "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything."

Gladys Knight says she not only disagrees with Colin Kaepernick using the national anthem as a protest, but she also says she's been in the game a lot longer than him when it comes to the fight for social justice.

Gladys doubled down on her decision to sing the anthem at the upcoming Super Bowl, saying, "I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country's Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII."

She goes on ... "It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone."

That said, Gladys does not doubt Colin's intentions ... "I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice," the 74-year-old legend said in a statement.

Of course, Knight is referencing Colin's decision to take a knee during the 'Star-Spangled Banner' during NFL games. Kap had said the demonstration is intended to put a spotlight on police violence against minorities.

Knight might agree with his message but clearly disagrees with his methods.

"I am here today and on Sunday, Feb. 3 to give the Anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life."

"No matter who chooses to deflect with this narrative and continue to mix these two in the same message, it is not so and cannot be made so by anyone speaking it. I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us."

Kaepernick -- along with his girlfriend, close friends and celebrities -- have been critical of musicians who have agreed to perform at the Super Bowl. Rap star Commonhas even called for Travis Scott to pull out of the halftime show.

As for Colin's thoughts on Gladys -- so far, he has not issued a comment.

Smh. In all due respect...I disagree wit her.

Let's be real...the NFL offered her a check she couldn't refuse. And I'm sure she wasn't the 1st...2nd...3rd choice.

She can say she wants to give the anthem its voice back all she wants, but she know this was about the money.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...-two-fatal-police-shootings-black-men-n964116

Social justice and the Super Bowl: Two fatal police shootings of black men in Atlanta raise questions

America's most-watched sporting event should put a larger spotlight on recent police shootings in the host city, one attorney said.

As two families in Atlanta mourn the deaths of their sons — young black men believed to be unarmed when they were killed in separate police shootings this month — tens of thousands of football fans are converging on the city for festivities ahead of the Super Bowl.

The jarring juxtaposition isn't lost on the loved ones of Jimmy Atchison, an aspiring musician who will be laid to rest Thursday and whose death last week has stirred questions over the use of lethal force.

A week before Atchison was killed, 18-year-old D'ettrick Griffin died in another officer-involved shooting.

Tammie Featherstone, Atchison's aunt, said the police had put the case "on the back burner because of the Super Bowl" — which a spokesman for the department disputed, saying the shooting was still being investigated.

The family's attorney, Tanya Miller, said the backdrop of the nation's most-watched sporting event should magnify rather than distract from Atchison's killing and the need for a larger dialogue about community policing.

"It shouldn't be forgotten that the shooting happened just before the Super Bowl, at a time when people have been seeing football as a symbol of protest in light of Colin Kaepernick bringing attention to police brutality and injustice," Miller said.

The city of Atlanta is in an especially precarious position, activists say, given its history as the cradle of the civil rights movement in America and for decades lauded as the "Black Mecca of the South."

While the city has hosted the Super Bowl twice before, most recently in 2000, this latest championship comes at a fraught time for the league: The NFL, team owners and the players' union are at odds over how to deal with protesting players, particularly after President Donald Trump last year blasted the movement spawned by Kaepernick, a former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who began kneeling during the national anthem to highlight racial inequality and oppression.

In the months leading up to the Super Bowl, some black artists and musicians — including ones who would normally be a sure bet to headline the game's highly anticipated halftime show — refused any potential offers to perform.

Rapper and Atlanta native T.I. said on BET last summer that there remains a "violation of constitutional rights being implemented to minority players who choose to have a peaceful, silent protest."

The halftime entertainment for Sunday's game will be led by Maroon 5, and joined by Atlanta-based rapper Big Boi and Houston rapper Travis Scott, both of whom are black.

The show itself remains under wraps, although Super Bowl performances in the past have been politically charged, with Beyoncé in 2016 singing and dancing as a nod to the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Black Panthers and a call to action for black women and activists.

Scott's involvement this year has come under heavy criticism from the Rev. Al Sharpton and others, but the rapper said he would only perform if the NFL agreed to help donate $500,000 to a criminal justice reform group headed by activist Van Jones.

Another black Atlanta-based rapper and producer, Jermaine Dupri, who is hosting a five-night concert before the Super Bowl, told The Associated Presshe wants people affected by police-involved deaths to be heard.

"I met with the families and parents who have been killed and murdered by police officers here," Dupri said. "I plan on having them come to my Super Bowl Live event and speak to the crowd, and tell their story about police brutality in the city and let people understand that I'm supporting them as much as possible."

On the day before the game, a coalition of civil rights groups also plans to rally a few miles to the north of Mercedes-Benz Stadium, where the game will be played, to highlight how the state of Georgia is still struggling with issues beyond policing that stem from the Jim Crow era and the legacy of slavery.

"The entirety of the system does not bend toward justice for all," said Richard Rose, the president of the Atlanta branch of the NAACP.

The branch has called for a meeting with the city and police department over Atchison's shooting.

Local police and federal agents were serving a warrant on Atchison, 21, for armed robbery, tracking him to an apartment complex on the morning of Jan. 22, reported NBC affiliate WXIA.

He led police on a chase through the building, an FBI spokesman said, and jumped out of a window and down a couple of floors before going into another apartment building "where the suspect was shot."

Miller said the family is awaiting an autopsy report, but they believe he may have been shot once in the face.

They also contend he was first hiding in a closet unarmed, and was not confrontational when he ran away.

A spokesman for the Atlanta Police Department, Carlos Campos, said in an email that the officer involved in the shooting was acting as part of a federal task force, and referred questions about whether Atchison was armed to the FBI. An agency spokesman declined to comment, citing the open investigation.

Campos said the officer involved has been relieved of his duty, "and will no longer be working in his role as a police officer at least until the results of the investigation are known." The officer has not been identified.

Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields also spoke with the local NAACP about her commitment to transparency as the FBI and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation continue their review, Campos said.

"During their conversation, Chief Shields expressed her sympathies to the Atchison family for their profound loss," Campos said.

Miller, however, said the circumstances surrounding the initial warrant remain murky, and the family has yet to get a complete picture of why a task force was needed to serve him and why an officer ultimately pulled the trigger.

"We want to know why he died and what happened," Featherstone said. "We would like to know why he was shot if he was unarmed. We just want justice."

The death of Atchison, a father of two young children, follows the fatal shooting in southwest Atlanta of Griffin, who authorities say was trying to steal a car at a gas station that actually belonged to an off-duty officer.

The officer opened fire multiple times as Griffin drove away, state police said. The case was turned over to the Fulton County Sheriff's Office, although state police said there was no evidence that Griffin was armed, reported The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Rose, of the Atlanta branch of the NAACP, said the latest shootings shouldn't be overshadowed by the Super Bowl. While he wants no part of the game because of the way black players have been treated, the event does lend itself for people to protest and to being seen, he added — particularly for those players and musical artists who will have the eyes of the nation on them.

"This is an opportunity to speak out against injustice," Rose said.

Erik Ortiz is an NBC News staff writer focusing on racial injustice and social inequality.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...-owners-were-kowtowing-trump-kneeling-n965246

Kaepernick's lawyer on Goodell backlash after press conference

Colin Kaepernick's lawyer slammed NFL team owners on Thursday for blackballing the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, accusing them of colluding to keep Kaepernick out of the league in response to President Donald Trump's attacks on players who protest during the national anthem.

"The collusion actually was the NFL kowtowing to the president — I think it's clear," high-profile attorney Mark Geragos said Thursday in an exclusive interview on NBC's "Today."

He added that the owners of the league's 32 teams may not admit to conspiring to keep Kaepernick from playing in the NFL again, but it's apparent they're freezing him out when he remains in "spectacular shape" and none of the teams have given him a chance to prove his skills.

"There isn't anyone who has a couple of neurons firing that wouldn't say this isn't collusive activity," Geragos said.

Kaepernick, 31, first kneeled in 2016 during a preseason game to protest racial injustice and police brutality in the United States. The decision inspired players from other teams to do the same, but it also angered some fans and Trump, who considered players' kneeling during the anthem as a sign of disrespect toward U.S. service members.

Kaepernick became a free agent after the 2016 season. He has accused the league of colluding to keep him from playing, and last summer an arbitrator appointed by the league and the players' union decided the complaint holds enough merit that his case can proceed to a full hearing.

Among the evidence for collusive activity, Geragos said, is that former 49ers safety Eric Reid, who had joined Kaepernick in his protests, was signed by the Carolina Panthers in September after he filed his own grievance against the NFL.

"Eric Reid went under oath and actually testified that he would consider alternatives to kneeling," Geragos said. "Within three days, 72 hours, he had three different teams that were vying for him and to sign him. You tell me how is it that when he testified under oath, and it's supposedly a private proceeding, three teams knew enough to reach out to his agent what he had said under oath that he would consider alternatives."

On Wednesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell attempted to sidestep questions about Kaepernick during a news conference before the Super Bowl on Sunday, saying that "if a team decides that Colin Kaepernick, or any other player, can help their team win, that's what they'll do."

His comments didn't sit well with fans and former football players.

Geragos said that Kaepernick still wants to play in the NFL, and while the kneeling controversy died down this season and a decision has yet to be madewith how to deal with players who protest, he believes that "history is going to look kindly" on Kaepernick.

Protests by players aren't expected to overshadow this year's Super Bowl in Atlanta, although there was contention leading up to the game after some black artists refused offers to be part of the halftime show as sign of support for Kaepernick.

The halftime entertainment for Sunday's game will be led by Maroon 5, and joined by Atlanta-based rapper Big Boi and Houston rapper Travis Scott, both of whom are black.

Scott's involvement has come under heavy criticism from the Rev. Al Sharpton and others, but the rapper said he would perform only if the NFL agreed to help donate $500,000 to a criminal justice reform group headed by activist Van Jones.

Although previous reports said Kaepernick had given Scott his blessing to perform, Geragos denied that was the case Thursday.

"To cross the intellectual and ideological picket line, I think there's something wrong with that," he said.

Back