Welcome To aBlackWeb

Racists are in their feelings over Kap’s new Nike ad

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...logize-leaving-colin-kaepernick-photo-gallery

49ers apologize for leaving Colin Kaepernick out of photo gallery

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers have apologized for initially leaving Colin Kaepernick out of a photo gallery celebrating the team's history against the Green Bay Packers.

The 49ers posted dozens of photos on their website of past games against the Packers before the teams meet again Monday night, but at first did not include any of Kaepernick.

The team later added photos of Kaepernick. This is the first photo gallery the 49ers have run this year; pictures of Kaepernick were included in all seven galleries posted on the team's website last year.

"Unfortunately there were a handful of obvious misses in this gallery posted by our website team and we appreciate them being brought to our attention," the 49ers said in a statement. "The 49ers organization has tremendous respect and gratitude for the contributions Colin made to our team over the years."

Kaepernick set an NFL record for quarterbacks by rushing for 181 yards in a playoff win over Green Bay on Jan. 12, 2013; threw for 413 yards in a season-opening win against the Packers in 2013; and led a winning drive in a playoff game in Green Bay on Jan. 5, 2014.

"We have fond memories of those games and that should have been displayed on our website," the team said. "This oversight does not properly reflect the appreciation our ownership and this team have for Colin."

The 49ers supported Kaepernick in 2016 when he decided to kneel during the national anthem to protest social and racial injustice and matched his $1 million contribution toward programs for social equality.

Kaepernick opted out of his contract the next offseason when the 49ers told him they planned to cut him. Kaepernick has been unable to find another team to play for the past two seasons.

Coach Kyle Shanahan was asked about bringing Kaepernick back after starting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo went down with a season-ending knee injury but said Kaepernick still didn't fit the team's offense.

"I made that decision just with the style of offense that we wanted to go with," Shanahan said Sept. 24. "That's kind of what I said last year, and it's kind of the same situation now. If you're thinking of if there'd be a different discussion now, I always look into what style of offense I want to do, what style of offense we've been doing for the last two years."

http://www.espn.com/olympics/gymnas...zes-usa-gymnastics-choice-ceo-anti-nike-tweet

Simone Biles criticizes USA Gymnastics' choice after CEO's anti-Nike tweet

Olympic Gold medalist Simone Biles on Saturday criticized USA Gymnastics' appointment of Mary Bono as interim president and chief executive officer.

Biles, USA Gymnastics' biggest star, quote-tweeted Bono's post from last month that was critical of Nike in the wake of the apparel company's advertising campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick.

Bono, who was appointed to her new roles on Friday, posted a photo of herself blacking out a Nike logo on a golf shoe. In response, Biles tweeted: "*mouth drop* ... don't worry, it's not like we needed a smarter usa gymnastics president or any sponsors or anything."

Bono, a former Republican congresswoman, last month also retweeted a response to her tweet that said "#BoycottNike."

USA Gymnastics has been without an apparel sponsor since Under Armour ended its deal with the organization in late 2017. Biles is personally sponsored by Nike.

The discord is just the latest in a string of public dilemmas for USA Gymnastics, which is still struggling to emerge from the fallout of the sexual abuse scandal surrounding former team doctor Larry Nassar. More than 200 women, including Biles, have come forward over the past two years saying they were sexually abused by Nassar under the guise of treatment, including current and former members of the organization's elite program.

Bono will hold her roles while USA Gymnastics searches for a permanent successor to Kerry Perry, who resigned under pressure from the United States Olympic Committee in September after spending nine months on the job.

Nike's Kaepernick campaign has been met with some product boycotts by those who disagree with the former San Francisco 49ers' quarterback's activism and decision to kneel during the national anthem before NFL games.

Biles, who won four gold medals in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, was named to the 2018 world championship team on Friday, shortly before Bono's hiring was announced.

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/all-black-dc-area-football-team-takes-a-knee-as-a-team-each-week

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...g-knee-one-all-black-high-school-team-n919116

All-black DC-area football team takes a knee as a team each week

Since Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the national anthem in 2016, the ripple effect of his action has trickled to all levels of football.

One football team at a school in suburban Washington, D.C., is taking its own stand by taking a knee together.

As NBC News reports, players at Capital Christian Academy (Lanham, Md.) approached their coach in late August about protesting before games this year. Coach Cornell Wade pulled up a chair from behind the teacher’s desk in a classroom at the all-black school.

Per NBC News, this was the coach’s response:

“I hope you all know why,” Wade told his players. He wasn’t opposed, but he asked them to think hard: Are you doing this because you idolize the pro football players on TV? Or because the message behind the protest actually means something to you?

The boys were quiet. Then, one of the seniors spoke up.

“We’re taking a knee because of inequality as a whole,” said Josiah Gill, 17. “We’re aware of what’s going on in this country as young black males.”

“A lot of people love football,” Gill added. “You have them coming from places to see you do something, and why not take a knee, why not do this to show we see what’s going on in the world?”

Kaepernick’s protest brought added attention to racial injustice and police brutality and bias, and is still a hot-button issue within the NFL.

At the high school level, it is a different conversation that does not have to do with billionaire owners or a franchise’s bottom line. It is about kids in a community confronting the country’s issues in their own way.

Football players at the school, which opened in 2013, decided to stage their protests, kneeling as one entire group before each game. And their coach has supported it fully.

“If you’re going to be with the fight,” Wade told NBC News, “be with the fight.”

https://patch.com/alabama/birmingham-al/alabama-store-owner-wont-sell-pepsi-products-nfl-logo

Alabama Store Owner Won't Sell Pepsi Products With NFL Logo

Protesting the NFL's kneeling athletes, an Athens store owner refuses to sell any Pepsi products that don the NFL logo.

ATHENS, AL - Protests work two ways. And one Alabama store owner has decided to protest a protest by refusing to sell Pepsi products in his Athens, Alabama, store because the bottles don the National Football League Logo. Phillip Stewart, the owner of S&Z Grocery and gas station, is protesting NFL players kneeling during the "Star Spangled Banner" in protest of police brutality toward African Americans.

Stewart made his stance public via Facebook last week, saying, "This may cause me to lose some business, but here goes. S&Z supermarket currently will not be selling 20 ounce Pepsi or Diet Pepsi. These two items are currently produced with the NFL logo on them. I refuse to sell the product until the logo is removed. I will not bow down in order to the make a dollar as long as the athletes are allowed to bow down and disrespect the flag and country that I love."

Stewart's announcement was met with both support from Facebook users who commented that they back his stance against the NFL and its players, and criticism over Stewart not understanding the reason the players are kneeling in protest. (For more updates on this story and free news alerts for your neighborhood, sign up for your local Patch morning newsletter.)

One Facebook user responded, "I'm sorry but you don't even understand the reason they knelt. It had Nothing to do with disrespect of the flag or America. It makes me angry that so many people have chosen to pretend they are being upstanding over something they don't have a grasp on. You do what you want with your store sir. Pepsi will still be here when you don't sell it because of a logo. Hope you don't sell beer or anything else with the logo. What a shame this has been blown so out of proportion."

Another user responded by saying, "Thank-you for standing for America! I commend you for patriotism and willingness to place your values and ethics above business. Remain strong against the sham of "kneeling". These despicable players are nothing more than political activists and community disorganzers. They are aligned with Saul Alinsky and his radical agenda. God bless you!"

One user reminded Stewart that PepsiCo also owns Fritos, Doritos, Cheetos, Tostitos, Lays, Ruffles, Rold Gold, Sun Chips, Cracker Jack, Tropicana, Gatorade, Quaker Foods, Quaker Oaks, Naked Juice, Aquafina, Aunt Jemima, Lipton, Brisk, Rockstar and Ocean Spray Products. among others, so if the store is still selling those products, his protest is not really affecting Pepsi as a corporation.

how bout $25

CG4egHUWcAEZTuB.png

Back