Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Social Justice Thread: R.I.P. George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor & now Tyre Nichols

African American man dies after video shows Minneapolis police officer kneeling on neck

MINNEAPOLIS — An African American man has died in Minneapolis police custody after video shared online from a bystander showed an officer kneeling on his neck during his arrest as he pleaded that he couldn’t breathe.

His death, which occurred Monday night after a struggle with police officers, was under investigation Tuesday by the FBI and state agents.

Officers were called about 8 p.m. Monday to investigate a report of a forgery at a business, according to police spokesman John Elder. Police found the man, believed to be in his 40s, matching the suspect’s description in his car.

“He was ordered to step from his car. After he got out, he physically resisted officers,” Elder said in a statement. “Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress.”

The man, who was not identified, was taken by ambulance to Hennepin County Medical Center where he died a short time later, police said.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has joined the FBI in its investigation. All body camera footage has been turned over to the BCA, which investigates most police shootings and in-custody deaths. The officers involved have been put on paid administrative leave, per department protocol.

Nekima Levy-Armstrong, a prominent local activist, said watching the footage made her “sick to her stomach” and called the incident another example of police brutality toward African American men, the Star Tribune reported.

“Whatever the man may have done should not have ended in a death sentence,” she said. “What started as an alleged economic incident once again turned deadly for a black man.”

Levy-Armstrong said the incident reminded her of the Eric Garner case. He was an unarmed New York man who died in 2014 after he was placed in a chokehold by police and pleaded for his life saying he couldn’t breathe. A grand jury later decided against indicting the officers involved, sparking protests around the country.

Cue the firestorm:

"He shouldn't have broken the law"

"He was resisting"

"Blue Lives Matter"

Here we go.....

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
Since im free to say what i want here and not on twitter fuck him and his partner they deserve to die

police terror is hate crime.. it cant be classified as one but fundamentally it is..

i long for the day where one of these offenders gets blasted on video and the video captures the events showing it to be justified

You see that cowardly chink pig standing idly by. He would commit Seppuku before checking the white cop to prevent a murder. Now he's on leave too

Since im free to say what i want here and not on twitter fuck him and his partner they deserve to die

police terror is hate crime.. it cant be classified as one but fundamentally it is..

i long for the day where one of these offenders gets blasted on video and the video captures the events showing it to mbe justified
Exactly

I wanna see it, but I don't wanna see them hurt or killed in response....

Like get away with that shit, and be fully immune from any punishment

Back