Welcome To aBlackWeb

Quincy Jones Isn't Even A Top 10 Producer

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
I fell victim to hearing Jones being put on a pedestal in my childhood and growing up I always viewed Jones as The Goat..... until I started thinking for myself and researched his catalog and started comparing it to his peers and noticed he really hasn't made any classics records outside of his work with MJ.

And then to add to it, he didn't write shit on MJ's albums. Compared to niggas like Babyface, JD, JJTL, etc who both create the music and write the lyrics.

Then to add to that, MJ was also co producer AND the writer on alot of that shit.

Then after you put it into context that QJ never had any classic albums and only a couple songs worth mentioning outside of his work with MJ, he's no where near as dope as alot of his peers.

Prove me wrong. Drop these classic non MJ albums that QJ made. Post the classic QJ songs. I'm talkin about classics, that are up there with Fire & Desire, Outstanding, etc not some b-side shit.

Tevin Campbell was founded by Q

Tomorrow was big when it came out, classic some may say

Tamia - Put a move on my heart

Co producer can be a strange role. I'm not sure how much Mike was involved but if someone who knows more can fill me in, please do

Tomorrow wasn't a hit and not produced by Quincy before Babyface he got his hands on Tevin?

I'm saying Tevin's most known songs were written and created by Babyface. But I'll give you that.

The fact that Tomorrow and a Tamia song is the best shit you came with for why QJ is the Goat proves my point lol

Both of these albums are classics

giphy.gif

Quincy Jones started out as a trumpet player, particularly a jazz trumpeter. He's definitely overrated as a traditional producer, but his smooth transition from jazz to pop can't be looked past. He brought a wide spectrum of sounds to contemporary Black music. Those MJ albums took so many risks, but everything landed in exact formation to the point where we take the changes it made in hindsight for granted. He defined the sound and direction of pop music so subtly that we didn't even realize he did it. He fused rock, disco, new wave, house, and many more genres to whatever he was working on... even innovating changes to those genres. MJ might be his only meal ticket as far as artists go, but QJ was ahead and beyond his time. He could've made Thriller with Billy Ocean and it would've hit the same way. Every instrumental choice counts in production, and Q was on point at all times when it came to that. To put it in perspective, peep MJ's Don't Stop Til You Get Enough home demo, then listen to the final version and peep the changes he made to it.

Them strings bruh...

Quincy Jones started out as a trumpet player, particularly a jazz trumpeter. He's definitely overrated as a traditional producer, but his smooth transition from jazz to pop can't be looked past. He brought a wide spectrum of sounds to contemporary Black music. Those MJ albums took so many risks, but everything landed in exact formation to the point where we take the changes it made in hindsight for granted. He defined the sound and direction of pop music so subtly that we didn't even realize he did it. He fused rock, disco, new wave, house, and many more genres to whatever he was working on... even innovating changes to those genres. MJ might be his only meal ticket as far as artists go, but QJ was ahead and beyond his time. He could've made Thriller with Billy Ocean and it would've hit the same way. Every instrumental choice counts in production, and Q was on point at all times when it came to that. To put it in perspective, peep MJ's Don't Stop Til You Get Enough home demo, then listen to the final version and peep the changes he made to it.

Them strings bruh...

I'm definitely not saying QJ isnt a legend, he's just extremely overrated.

Even in the songs you posted, the foundation to Dont Stop was already laid by MJ. Alot of the creation of those songs were from MJ, from the beat to the lyrics. I can't give Quincy full credit for that, especially when he was only able to cook up whit at that level with mike.

Shit MJs beatbox was better than alot of these niggas beats

I'm not about to spam this thread bruh... even his Wikipedia page is there for his discography

He produced Mike's albums when he was middle aged... before that he was known as a composer producing film scores, including Oz which featured Mike as an actor and that was where the partnership started

My favourite jazz musician is George Benson... this is a Q cut

Like I said dude produces for other music producers

Back