Welcome To aBlackWeb

PlayStation Classic

Northside7

Sony announces PlayStation Classic mini console
ps-1024x650.png

The console that ignited the games industry will return this Christmas with 20 built-in games including Final Fantasy VII and Tekken 3

Sony is launching a miniaturised version of its original PlayStation console complete with 20 built-in games released during the dawn of the 3D graphics age.

PlayStation Classic will launch on 3 December, the same day the console first arrived in Japan back in 1994. It will be 45% smaller than the original machine, and comes with two smaller replicas of the pronged controllers and an HDMI cable to plug into modern television sets. You will, however, have to supply your own power adaptor.

A full games list has yet to be announced, but titles will include the classic role-playing adventure Final Fantasy VII, the fighting game Tekken 3, Namco’s seminal urban driving sim Ridge Racer Type 4 and the early 3D platformer, Jumping Flash. The console comes with a virtual memory card allowing players to save their progress without the use of the little grey memory gadgets that came with the old console.

1798-1.jpg

The announcement follows Nintendo’s huge success with its own retro console releases. The Mini NES model, which replicated the company’s formative 1983 machine, sold out almost instantly when it was launched in 2016 and was re-released early this year, outselling modern consoles such as the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. It was followed by the similarly successful Mini SNES last autumn. As with those machines, the PlayStation Classic will not be able to download further titles.

Despite huge advances in video-game technology, retro gaming continues to be popular with nostalgic fans who perhaps don’t have the time or energy to plough 100 hours into the latest blockbusting open-world adventure. Current leading consoles allow players to download classic games.

The PlayStation was a groundbreaking machine on its original launch. Featuring a 32bit processor and (at the time) powerful graphics hardware, the console ushered in the era of 3D polygonal visuals, leaving behind the 2D sprite-based graphics of the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive era. It sold more than 100m units worldwide, and was later released in a slim format.

PlayStation Classic is launching in Japan, the US and Europe, with a UK price of £90/$120.

I think there is another thread

I'll merge later but I'm cool on playing crash bandicoot and other polygon based games

I would rather play the SNES classic. Those games, graphically, still hold up

They'll do better putting these on the psn network and letting people buy from there. I really want to play ff7 again.

Wife Pre Ordered Mine With The Quiccness But The More I Read About It The Less I Like.....
Might Have To Cancel That Bish (The Console Not My Wife)

No dualshock so that limits the games. These prolly won't have the same nostalgia factor as the NES Classic just because the games aren't like pre-modern, they're more outdated.

C/S. Sony kind of dropped the ball with this.

The controllers should have dual shock. At least five of the games should be ones that were rare, hard to find or never released.

C/S. Sony kind of dropped the ball with this.

The controllers should have dual shock. At least five of the games should be ones that were rare, hard to find or never released.

The controllers are usb connected. I suppose that these are for the nostalgia factor & they figure that most PS users already have dual shocks with a USB cord. For those that don’t that’s more $ on controller sales.

Meh... I still have my PS2 and I use it to play my old PSX games.

For the games I don't have on CD anymore I have ePSXe and a grip of isos and play 'em on my PC.

Back