Welcome To aBlackWeb

Phuck it, let's do it: Kareem vs. Mike - ABW version

@Peace_79

You make it seem like its so easy to stop Kareem. If it was that easy he wouldn't be the all time leading scorer.

Also, if Kareem is so easy to stop, why did they outlaw dunking in the NCAA when he was playing?

Lastly, his height and the fact that he played Center is irrelevant. The fact remains that he scored more points and has a better field goal percentage than MJ.

If you're going to discredit Kareem because he was taller than anybody else on the court, then we might as well ad Spud Webb to the conversation. If Spud Webb was a foot taller he'd be the Goat.

My point is there's no what ifs or yeah but.... The fact remains Kareem holds the scoring title and has a higher field goal percentage. If theres 5 seconds I'm passing to the guy with the most points and the highest field goal percentage.

Lol.

Where did I discredit his height?

That’s clearly an advantage.

Just like the athleticism, quickness, ball-handling, range-shooting ability, and flexibility on the offensive end are advantages for MJ.

You just pissed because I used your absurd straw man’s argument against you.

Btw, the ONLY situation with 5 seconds left in which KAJ is superior to MJ is when he’s in the post ...

And I LOVE my chances with MJ in the post against another 2 Gaurd. So he doesn’t even win that by much

Compare that to how poorly Kareem would perform throwing him the rock at the top of the key and asking him to get you a bucket.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to pass to the guy with a 49.7 field goal percentage when there's another guy you could pass to with a better percentage. In fact, MJ's FG% is under 500 and Kareem is above 500. So mathematically, MJ will probably miss and Kareem will probably score.

Why would Kareem ever be at the top of the key?

1 , 5 Pick and Roll
Elbow DHO set

Any number of sequences...

The biggest flaw in yor argument is that you tout career FG% as a literal probability’s y of KAJ scoring in your situation.

But that wasn’t his shooting percentage with 5 seconds left in the game ... it was a percentage throughout his career skewed by wide open layups, dunks, fast breaks, bad teams, mismatches, etc.

The last 5 seconds of a game raise two points that you aren’t considering
- Teams take away your best option
- The unexpected often occurs

Versatility and a varied skill set are more valued than a few percentage points

1 , 5 Pick and Roll
Elbow DHO set

Any number of sequences...

The biggest flaw in yor argument is that you tout career FG% as a literal probability’s y of KAJ scoring in your situation.

But that wasn’t his shooting percentage with 5 seconds left in the game ... it was a percentage throughout his career skewed by wide open layups, dunks, fast breaks, bad teams, mismatches, etc.

The last 5 seconds of a game raise two points that you aren’t considering
- Teams take away your best option
- The unexpected often occurs

Versatility and a varied skill set are more valued than a few percentage points

Kareem's field goal percentage is skewed by the exact same factors as MJ. You can't look at the statistics and say, "but those Kareem statistics are skewed so MJ is better" MJ's stats are equally skewed and Kareem has a higher field goal percentage.

If Kareem have 6 rings then why do he only have 2 final MVPs while 1 of them was on the tail end of his career

If you look at just a snapshot of MJ's career that shit is amazing

3x NBA Champion
3x FMVP
3x MVP
7x scoring champ
9x All Star
1x DPOY
Etc

And that's only in his first 9 years. Pre retirement MJ is shitting on niggas whole careers.

Kareem is an all-time great, but let's be real, some of his accolades (i.e. most points in career) come more from longevity than greatness. Had MJ not retired those first two years and stayed in the game up until he retired from Washington rather than retiring and coming back to the game rusty, he'd probably have some untouchable numbers.

Kareem is an all-time great, but let's be real, some of his accolades (i.e. most points in career) come more from longevity than greatness. Had MJ not retired those first two years and stayed in the game up until he retired from Washington rather than retiring and coming back to the game rusty, he'd probably have some untouchable numbers.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Shaq is the most dominant center of the modern era (say, post 2000) Shaq played 19 seasons and Kareem played 20 seasons. But Kareem outscored Shaq by 10,000 points; 38,000 - 28,000.

Its more than longevity.

I'm interested to see if Lebron can break Kareem's record. But even if he does, he came out of high school while Kareem did 4 years of college so that gives Lebron a 4 year advantage. And on a side note, MJ dropped out of college after his 3rd year so that gives him an extra year in comparison to Kareem who went to college for 4 years.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Shaq is the most dominant center of the modern era (say, post 2000) Shaq played 19 seasons and Kareem played 20 seasons. But Kareem outscored Shaq by 10,000 points; 38,000 - 28,000.

Its more than longevity.

I'm interested to see if Lebron can break Kareem's record. But even if he does, he came out of high school while Kareem did 4 years of college so that gives Lebron a 4 year advantage. And on a side note, MJ dropped out of college after his 3rd year so that gives him an extra year in comparison to Kareem who went to college for 4 years.

lol What? You just said Kareem played 20 seasons. MJ only played 15. How do you calculate Mike having an extra year? On top of that, MJ basically traded two and a half prime years for about as many well below prime years.

Anyway, I'm not really knocking Kareem. I said he's an all-time great, but some metrics are better than others when it comes to greatness. For example, averages per game should hold more weight than gross numbers because they tell more about a player's productivity in the games and can't be inflated by simply playing more games. It's the same deal with Lebron. He's getting so much credit for moving up the ranks of raw numbers in the playoffs. The problem is that during his time in the NBA, they effectively lengthened the playoffs and win or lose, he's consistently taken more games to finish championship runs. So when you compare him to someone like Kobe, his playoff numbers are higher for many stats, but he's also played more playoff games.

Nothing to explain. I already stated in this thread that I use to think KAJ was the goat, but i changed my mind.. You trying to get some ethers or somethin? Wasn't your thread about Why wasn't Kareem mentioned as the goat? I stated that him being aloof and Muslim played apart and that he had a great career. But as I will keep asking, How can Kareem be the best player ever if he isn't even the best Laker ever? While teammates Magic had a bigger impact than KAJ for the Lakers.

MJ the best basketball player that ever lived. I'm biased as fuck though. I saw MJ growing up and followed those mid 90s bulls squad religiously. Also, you can't really compare a 7 foot center, who is close to the basket all game to a guard. Kareem, was under the rim and scored mad points off put backs. Far as the rest of them stays. Jordan took time off during his prime to play baseball. Dude was gone for almost 3 seasons.

MJ the best basketball player that ever lived. I'm biased as fuck though. I saw MJ growing up and followed those mid 90s bulls squad religiously. Also, you can't really compare a 7 foot center, who is close to the basket all game to a guard. Kareem, was under the rim and scored mad points off put backs. Far as the rest of them stays. Jordan took time off during his prime to play baseball. Dude was gone for almost 3 seasons.

MJ was must see tv in the 90s. On holidays, niggas at family gatherings used to crowd around the TV to catch Michael Jordan play.

Back