Welcome To aBlackWeb

Phonte Says He Created "Rap Singing", Not Drake

The main influence? "riight" There's a video with Drake telling Joe Budden he's one of his biggest influences lmaooo But yall got it.

"With me and Tay, I kinda dropped the ball on a feature he needed me to do, just being 100% honest. I really wanted to do a record with him, and we actually did do a record for my album, and then something happened with the producer and the beat, and it started getting funny so I had to scrap the record. And then he was like, “Well, can you do this feature for me,” and at the time I was trying to find my sound and trying to figure out what this album was going to be about, and I kind of let it slip through the cracks. That was my fault, and I do apologize to Phonte for that. But I still want to make it happen; I talked to 9th Wonder about trying to make it happen, we’ll get it eventually. He knows he’s one of the biggest influences on my career."

Drake interview with The Village Voice, November 9, 2011

I saw that to say Drake has named a ton of niggas as his influence. Instead of trying to live of w.e influence Phonte feels he has on Drake's career, he needs to apologize to 9th and revive his career.

Well that there would be a different discussion entirely. From the outside looking in, just viewing the way Phonte has discussed Little Brother issues over the years, he seems a little funny style at times to me. But at this point even Pooh is acknowledging that 9th is the problem in that dynamic. Personally I think it's a little of both because his passive-aggressive history with Drake is a mirror of his dealings with 9th and I don't believe in lightning striking twice in the same spot by sheer coincidence.

But the entire premise of this thread is off base to begin with because I don't think Phonte was insinuating that he birthed rap singing. I think he was just passive aggressively saying that he helped birth Drake's style--so how could Drake be an originator when he's just another cog in the long legacy of rap singers.

Just a few months ago he did this:

And there's many more like it that you can find from previous years. So like I said this is definitely a Drake thing and not a "I'm the first" thing.

There's about 50 mfs drake has said something similar about lol yall got it tho

I heard mothafuckas sayin' they made Hov
Made Hov say, "Okay, so make another Hov"

I have yet to hear one song that sounds like Drake from Phonte lol That shit 5th posted sounds NOTHING like Drake.

Sonically, Drake is no longer in that pocket. But the singing and subject matter/vulnerability can all be directly linked to Phonte still.

Influence wise, this all goes back to Room for Improvement through Take Care era Drake. ESPECIALLY Room for Improvement, Comeback Season & So Far Gone where he was not only sounding exactly like 'Te, featuring 'Te and working on future collabs with 'Te but he was also freestyling over his music and shouting him out constantly in lyrics.

When you peel back the layers of Drake's early music it was too often you'd turn and be like, "oh look Phonte/Little Brother," for you to deny the influence. In the history of Drake's music as a whole the only person that you could draw an equal amount of parallels to was Lil Wayne. And that's ONLY because Wayne and Baby had Drake featured on damn near everything during the YMCMB era.

The tempo is sped up on YouTube to avoid copyrights but listen to how mans started the song out lol

And I don't even understand people being up in arms about the comparison because when Kanye rants about his influence on Drake no one bats an eyelash--when in reality there's a whole lot more Phonte in Drake's DNA than there has ever been Kanye.

And I don't even understand people being up in arms about the comparison because when Kanye rants about his influence on Drake no one bats an eyelash--when in reality there's a whole lot more Phonte in Drake's DNA than there has ever been Kanye.

Kanye ain't even influence Kanye.

Yall were right, I apologize. Drake owes everything he has to Phonte. Not wayne, kanye, etc the tree begins and ends with Phonte.

Back