Welcome To aBlackWeb

Pa. Kids-for-Cash Judges Ordered to Pay More Than $200M

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
What to Know
  • Two former Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks have been ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people they victimized in one of the worst judicial scandals in U.S. history.
  • A federal judge awarded $106 million in compensatory damages and $100 million in punitive damages to plaintiffs in a long-running civil suit against the judges.
  • In what came to be known as the kids-for-cash scandal, Mark Ciavarella and another judge, Michael Conahan, shut down a county-run juvenile detention center and accepted $2.8 million in illegal payments from the builder and co-owner of two for-profit lockups.
Two former Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people they victimized in one of the worst judicial scandals in U.S. history.

U.S. District Judge Christopher Conner awarded $106 million in compensatory damages and $100 million in punitive damages to nearly 300 people in a long-running civil suit against the judges, writing the plaintiffs are “the tragic human casualties of a scandal of epic proportions.”

In what came to be known as the kids-for-cash scandal, Mark Ciavarella and another judge, Michael Conahan, shut down a county-run juvenile detention center and accepted $2.8 million in illegal payments from the builder and co-owner of two for-profit lockups. Ciavarella, who presided over juvenile court, pushed a zero-tolerance policy that guaranteed large numbers of kids would be sent to PA Child Care and its sister facility, Western PA Child Care.

Stay informed about local news, politics and weather. Get the NBC10 Philadelphia app for iOS or Android and pick your alerts.
Ciavarella ordered children as young as 8 to detention, many of them first-time offenders deemed delinquent for petty theft, jaywalking, truancy, smoking on school grounds and other minor infractions. The judge often ordered youths he had found delinquent to be immediately shackled, handcuffed and taken away without giving them a chance to put up a defense or even say goodbye to their families.

“Ciavarella and Conahan abandoned their oath and breached the public trust,” Conner wrote Tuesday in his explanation of the judgment. “Their cruel and despicable actions victimized a vulnerable population of young people, many of whom were suffering from emotional issues and mental health concerns.”

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court threw out some 4,000 juvenile convictions involving more than 2,300 kids after the scheme was uncovered.

I like how they put the damages on the men and not the system. Those men can’t pay out 200 million so those families get no compensation for the damages done to the lives of those children. Those damages should be applied to the people that built and owned the for profit prison.

Last edited:
I remember this story. Wild as hell how after all this time it's still being played out. Glad folks didn't just let that shit slide by. Those judges should've had to gone to prison as well.

@DOS_patos were the corps that owned the prisons sued separately?

Justice taking its sweet ass time aint it?!?

gotdamn how they just now hitting his pockets?

that mother fucker caused a kid to kill himself over his bullshit sentences.

yea it's the same judge I read about

part of me is relieved it's not a new case, but I'm not naive enough to think these are the only 2 in this country

It's our whole system. It's part of the corporate structure of private prisons to do whatever they can to make sure people continue to get locked up. They literally pay millions of dollars in donations to candidates lobbying against fair sentencing and decriminilization. One of the good things Obama did was getting rid of federally supported paid prisons, but Trump brought them back.

I remember this story. Wild as hell how after all this time it's still being played out. Glad folks didn't just let that shit slide by. Those judges should've had to gone to prison as well.

@DOS_patos were the corps that owned the prisons sued separately?
I’m going to find it out. I’m still looking into the triller shit before I comment.

Sue the fucking prisons that benefitted off of this. Sue the entire Pennsylvania Dept of Corrections (hell, they should get Cosby to join in on that lawsuit) Use whatever settlement money they get from the judges to fund the legal fees.

Shut all those fuckin prisons down in the interim that took those youths.

Back