Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Wrestling News Thread

In an interview with SI.com, CM Punk explained why he's doing Starrcast III in Chicago:

“A highlight is easily anytime anyone has a story,” said Punk. “I do about one signing a year and the best part is always finding out how you’ve touched people’s lives in a meaningful way. A lot of it can be heavy; helped someone get clean, helped somehow with the loss of a loved one. I am always touched to know the private intimate stories people have.”

“Knowing the weekend will be attracting fans from all over the world for AEW, and since I normally only do one signing a year, it’s a great way to maybe meet people that normally I wouldn’t get the chance to otherwise,” said Punk. “Looking forward to meeting everyone there.”

Starrcast's Conrad Thompson also commented on CM Punkappearing at the event:

“We wanted to bring something unique and that hasn’t been done before at Starrcast,” said Thompson. “I’ve always wanted to have Punk at Starrcast but the timing was never right, and I’m really excited that the stars have aligned for this August.”

“Fans are going to get what they’ve wanted for a long time, and that is CM Punk with a live mic. It’s going to happen at Starrcast.”

Last edited:
I’d have demon Bálor win at summerslam and have Bray either beat him down or kid nap him in some fashion until Bálor returns and they can have the rematch at survivor series or something

Nah man

Bray cant come out the gate losing. if he does the momentum for this character dies right away & no one will buy into it being any different from his other one. Im honestly hoping he goes one of those Jay Lethal redemption runs. Where he has a list of people who have beaten him and goes down the list beating them all in reverse order.

I’d have demon Bálor win at summerslam and have Bray either beat him down or kid nap him in some fashion until Bálor returns and they can have the rematch at survivor series or something
All this buildup to have him come back and lose his 1st match??? Hell no

In advance of Vince McMahon and WWE management's investor conference call on Thursday, after WWE announces its second quarter numbers, Variety posted a stinging piece today on WWE's massive loss of audience over the second quarter of this year vs. the same period in 2018. They referenced the company's statement during the first quarter investor conference call where they blamed the ratings drop for the first three months of 2019 on “superstar absences" by noting that pretty much everyone who was missing then was back for quarter two, yet the audience still dropped.

They ponder how Vince will explain losing viewers this time and note that, "The company’s TV partners, NBCUniversal and Fox, are also reportedly getting anxious about the state of the WWE" given that they will pay a combined $470M a year for Raw and Smackdown starting in October. They noted what we have been saying here for a while now, that the Raw audience was down around 20 percent year to year, while Smackdown is off about 17%. They also noted, as we have, that WWE's biggest problem is in the creative. Hopefully a mainstream outlet like Variety can get through to Vince that the main problem with WWE right now comes from the guy he looks at in the mirror.

The WWE stock, which was trading near $100 before they announced the first quarter numbers and then dropped signficantly, is currently trading at $69.90 as I write this. It will be very interesting to see what happens when the company reports on Thursday. The stock run up was largely based off of the new TV deals so if WWE has a bad quarter, it's very possible that the stock will drop even lower. I fully expect them to announce on Thursday that they have brought Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff in to fix the problems. I hope that the callers that get through will really press Vince on whether he will give them a legitimate chance to do so or whether he will keep overseeing things.

Pwinsider

In advance of Vince McMahon and WWE management's investor conference call on Thursday, after WWE announces its second quarter numbers, Variety posted a stinging piece today on WWE's massive loss of audience over the second quarter of this year vs. the same period in 2018. They referenced the company's statement during the first quarter investor conference call where they blamed the ratings drop for the first three months of 2019 on “superstar absences" by noting that pretty much everyone who was missing then was back for quarter two, yet the audience still dropped.

They ponder how Vince will explain losing viewers this time and note that, "The company’s TV partners, NBCUniversal and Fox, are also reportedly getting anxious about the state of the WWE" given that they will pay a combined $470M a year for Raw and Smackdown starting in October. They noted what we have been saying here for a while now, that the Raw audience was down around 20 percent year to year, while Smackdown is off about 17%. They also noted, as we have, that WWE's biggest problem is in the creative. Hopefully a mainstream outlet like Variety can get through to Vince that the main problem with WWE right now comes from the guy he looks at in the mirror.

The WWE stock, which was trading near $100 before they announced the first quarter numbers and then dropped signficantly, is currently trading at $69.90 as I write this. It will be very interesting to see what happens when the company reports on Thursday. The stock run up was largely based off of the new TV deals so if WWE has a bad quarter, it's very possible that the stock will drop even lower. I fully expect them to announce on Thursday that they have brought Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff in to fix the problems. I hope that the callers that get through will really press Vince on whether he will give them a legitimate chance to do so or whether he will keep overseeing things.

Pwinsider

The bottom line of it all is this I don't expect serious change to happen until Vince steps down or fall back from head of creative. I can see Bischoff/Heyman being executive heads of SD/RAW they come up with some good ideas and Vince still flipping around their ideas.

After reading the article, we definitely know WWE is in serious panic mode now that FOX/USA execs are questioning all that money they put on the table.

-ProWrestlingSheet.com is reporting that SmackDown co-lead writer Steve Guerreri and in-office lead writer for RAW Steve Oppenheim were released from WWE last week.

Oppenheim had reportedly been with WWE since 2011 and Guerreri began working with WWE in 2012. It’s believed that neither Paul Heyman or Eric Bischoff had a role in the writers being let go.

-ProWrestlingSheet.com is reporting that SmackDown co-lead writer Steve Guerreri and in-office lead writer for RAW Steve Oppenheim were released from WWE last week.

Oppenheim had reportedly been with WWE since 2011 and Guerreri began working with WWE in 2012. It’s believed that neither Paul Heyman or Eric Bischoff had a role in the writers being let go.

In another change, the company has assigned Producers to either the Raw or Smackdown brands. Previously, Producers would shift back and forth between the brands. We are told that one of the reasons this has been done is that there were instances where Producers would be on the road for live events, be sent home because they weren't needed and then return for a TV taping at the end of the loop. Now, they will work one specific loop and be permanent to their assigned brand.

Eric Bischoff will be at tomorrow's Smackdown taping in Miami. We are told he is going to be slowly worked into the process so he can familarize himself with the WWE system.

In another change, the company has assigned Producers to either the Raw or Smackdown brands. Previously, Producers would shift back and forth between the brands. We are told that one of the reasons this has been done is that there were instances where Producers would be on the road for live events, be sent home because they weren't needed and then return for a TV taping at the end of the loop. Now, they will work one specific loop and be permanent to their assigned brand.

Eric Bischoff will be at tomorrow's Smackdown taping in Miami. We are told he is going to be slowly worked into the process so he can familarize himself with the WWE system.

It's sad that declining ratings, attendance, & AEW is forcing Vince to get "his house" in order.

WWE issued SEC filings noting that several WWE Executives sold WWE stock on 7/22.

Vince McMahon sold 12627 shares for $70.23.

George Barrios sold 139175 shares for between $69.46 to $70.62.

Kevin Dunn sold 68628 shares for $70.23.

Mark Kowal sold 3845 shares for $70.23.

Paul Levesque sold 17563 shares for $70.23.

Stephanie McMahon sold 17681 shares for $70.23.

Michelle Wilson sold 65318 shares for $70.23.

WWE reports its second quarter numbers tomorrow.

ProWrestlingSheet.com is reporting that Trish Stratus is in talks with WWE for a match at Summerslam in her hometown of Toronto and that it's "likely" to happen.

As seen on this week's Smackdown Live, Charotte Flair demanded a match for Summerslam and the speculationis that Stratus would be the opponent for Charlotte. Charlotte is now referring to herself as the "Queen of all Eras" on social media.

Back