Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test

Team Pacquiao Baffled on Why Khan Claimed a Deal Was Done

As BoxingScene.com previously reported, eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao has not signed a contract to take on Amir Khan in Saudi Arabia later this year despite claims that a deal has been agreed for the bout.

Khan, who beat Australia’s Billy Dib in Jeddah on July 13 to win the WBC international welterweight title, said on Tuesday that he had agreed a deal to fight Pacquiao in Riyadh on Nov. 8.

But it didn't take long before Khan's claim was denied by Pacquiao's publicist, Fred Sternburg, and also by Sean Gibbons, who is the President of Pacquiao's promotional company, MP Promotions.

The Briton told British media the clash with Pacquiao would happen even if the 40-year-old were to lose to WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman - as the two are scheduled to collide at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday.

“Manny has not signed any contract. As far as I know it has not even been discussed,” Sternberg told the BBC.

“He has been in training camp for the past eight weeks, four in the Philippines and four in the United States, and he hasn’t met with Amir Khan during that time.”

Sternberg said he did not know what prompted Khan to make the claims.

“That’s a question you need to ask Amir Khan,” he said.

Khan had been slated to fight eight-division world champion Pacquiao two years ago in the United Arab Emirates but no agreement could be reached.

Khan is so desperate right now for relevancy

Roach: Pacquiao Will KO Thurman and Then Call Out Mayweather
By Miguel Rivera

Hall of Famer trainer Freddie Roach believes that Manny Pacquiao's experience will be the main difference this Saturday, when he faces undefeated WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman.

Roach also believes that the power, aggressiveness and speed of the Filipino will allow him to finish the battle by knockout in nine rounds, and then he intends to ask Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement to give him the rematch.

"Manny Pacquiao is going to win by knockout in nine rounds and then he's going to ask Mayweather for a rematch," Roach said in an interview with ESPN Deportes. "With a healthy Manny Pacquiao, no injuries, the story will be different, so let's see if Floyd decides to come back when he sees Manny."

Leonard Ellerbe, president of Mayweather Promotions, assured that the eccentric and for now retired boxer will be in ringside for the contest between Pacquiao and Thurman, which creates speculation that things can happen for "Pacman", who was received on Tuesday by about 400 fans in the MGM lobby.

The fight between the Filipino and the US will be distributed in the United States by FOX PPV and in Latin America, with the exception of Mexico.

After the arrival of "Pacman" to his fifteenth bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Roach stressed that he had not seen Pacquiao with the type of fire that he trained with - which Roach believes is due to Thurman provoking the boxer with so many threats during the promotion of the contest.

"Boxing, sparring, speed, everything went very well. It's been a while since I've seen Manny so motivated. That was caused by Keith Thurman and we will have to thank him, because the instinct returned," said Roach.

Roach said that although Thurman is a quality fighter, he does not believe that he has the quality or experience to compete at the highest level, something that Pacquiao has done for more than 20 years as a professional fighter.

"The experience will be key. Manny has been here before and controls his emotions, but Thurman is new, maybe he's going to be sorry, "Roach said.

Khan is so desperate right now for relevancy

Haha I think Khan ruined his shot at Mayweather for announcing a deal was done...

Khan's fight in Saudi at the weekend was a joke, prolly the worst card I have ever watched but Khan got paid nearly £10mil for fighting Billy Dib (who is 3 weight divisions lower) lmao and we know Pacquaio is all about chasing money fights now, so if the Saudi government offered him and Khan crazy money for a fight I suspect it will happen...

If Pacquiao buck up he is out in 4 regardless what happens this fight niggas will stop hate on Thurman because he plays the piccolo and drives a prius

I hope Thurman shows me something, lets his hands go and ko's manny.

Doubt it tho. Thurman prolly, once he knows he has the decision in the bag, will play it safe and get on his bike. He will do jus enuff to win a get the SD

Back