Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Fury's New Trainer: A Knockout of Wilder is Part of Rematch Plan!

SugarHill Steward, the new head trainer of heavyweight Tyson Fury, is confident his man will overcome WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in their anticipated rematch on February 22.

The two boxers fought to a controversial twelve round split draw in December 2018.

BoxingScene.com reported earlier this week that Fury was parting ways with Ben Davison, who trained the Gypsy King for his last five fights.

Davison began training Fury when the boxer began his comeback, after more than a two-year layoff. He replaced Fury's uncle, Peter Fury.

It wasn't long before Fury announced that SugarHill Steward of the Kronk Gym was his new trainer. Steward is the nephew of the late Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward, who trained Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko during their prime runs.

Some believe Fury is making a big mistake by hiring a new head trainer with two months to go until the rematch.

But Steward is putting together a plan to take Wilder down.

"It's the Kronk style, so it's not hard to figure out. What did Emanuel like the most? If you know that answer, you know the plan Tyson spoke about. It's so simple, you could miss it," Steward told Sky Sports.

"Both guys are big punchers but Wilder is bigger, he is a beast of a puncher. But one punch changes a fight and this is why the heavyweights are the big daddies of them all. [A knockout] is always the plan. Why think anything less?

"He wanted a trainer who was technical. He wants to be very technical. We will work on his technique. These are the characteristics he was looking for when he called me, and I fit the description. It all happened so fast. Initially he spoke to me about coming into camp, then I heard Ben Davison is gone and I'm the head trainer."

Tyson Fury accepts Anthony Joshua's help ahead of Deontay Wilder rematch

Tyson Fury has accepted an offer to spar with Anthony Joshua in an effort to help Fury win his rematch with Deontay Wilder.

Joshua dominated Andy Ruiz Jr. in a rematch earlier this month to reclaim three heavyweight title belts and had offered to spar with Fury to help his British compatriot in his upcoming bout with Wilder, reasoning that he is the more likely of the two to accept a unification fight.

Lineal heavyweight champion Fury faces Wilder, who holds the WBC world heavyweight title, in a rematch on Feb. 22. Fury got up from a hard 12th-round knockdown to draw on points when the pair first fought in December 2018.

"I've just seen the video of Joshua saying he'd love to come and help me in camp and that I'd fight him quicker than Wilder, that's for sure," Fury said via an Instagram post Tuesday. "When I beat Wilder I will fight you A.J., no problem.

"I would love to have you in camp, really, really love to have in camp to work out for this fight and give Deontay Wilder a proper beating. I hope you mean it, because I'd love to have you in training camp with me."

Joshua (23-1, 21 KOs), 30, had offered his support to help fight Fury in his upcoming rematch earlier Tuesday, as well as predicting that Fury will become a world heavyweight champion for a second time.

"I think Tyson Fury would fight me quicker than Wilder would. If that's the case, I want Fury to win, because I just want to fight," Joshua told Sky Sports. "To have that fight here on British soil? Man, can you imagine that?

"Fury, if you need me for sparring, we're going to fight one day. I've sparred Tyson Fury when we were kids anyway. I would go out to America and spar Tyson Fury and get him ready for this Wilder fight.

"Honestly, I think [Fury] might beat Wilder next time they're out. That's just my opinion."

Joshua has previously said that he is ready to face Wilder in a unification fight but has been unable to agree terms to a bout.

Fury (29-0-1, 20 KOs), 31, split with his trainer, Ben Davison, on Sunday, with the British boxer later confirming that he would be trained instead by Javan "Sugar" Hill.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, Fury's co-promoter with Frank Warren, said last month that Fury's rematch with Wilder (42-0-1, 41 KOs), 34, will be a joint pay-per-view between ESPN, with whom Top Rank has an exclusive deal, and Fox, which has a deal with Premier Boxing Champions, where Wilder fights.

"Jermall must've been beatin yo ass since yall were little"

Tony be talkin that shit LOL. Charlo does seem more composed this time around though. I had Charlo winning the first fight, but it was close. Excited for the fight this weekend.

Tony Harrison is annoying af imo. I think he knows he is the inferior fighter so he has to do whatever he can to try n get in the Charlo bro's head.

Tony Harrison is annoying af imo. I think he knows he is the inferior fighter so he has to do whatever he can to try n get in the Charlo bro's head.

I disagree with the bold. IMO Harrison has the better technical boxing skills and ring IQ. Charlo is more athletic and stronger. Charlo just way too emotional and it shows in his fights.

I said a few pages back that I wouldn’t mind seeing Danny Garcia vs Bud Crawford..
Hopefully they can make it happen...

I got Crawford beating the dog shit out of Danny Garcia. Crawford is better than Danny Garcia at everything in the ring with a 5 1/2 in reach advantage. Danny Garcia might have more 1 shot power though.

Back