Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test
In my opinion Charlo got robbed the first fight in this next fight he gotta get in the ring and box, fuck going for the ko unless the opportunity presents itself..

Kenny To Join Lewis, Goossen For FOX's Wilder-Ortiz Show

FOX Sports’ team of announcers will be slightly different for the network’s Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz pay-per-view show Saturday night.

BoxingScene.com has learned that Brian Kenny will work as FOX’s blow-by-blow announcer, alongside analysts Lennox Lewis and Joe Goossen, when those heavyweights square off again for Wilder’s WBC title at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Kenny Albert usually fills the blow-by-blow role for FOX, though Kenny worked several boxing broadcasts for FOX from 2015-18.

Kenny, a fixture for MLB Network and former ESPN host, also works for DAZN as a blow-by-blow man. Lewis, a former heavyweight champion, and Goossen, a veteran trainer, have regularly worked FOX’s telecasts since the network’s new deal with Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions launched last December 22 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Kenny, Lewis and Goossen will call four fights as part of FOX Sports’ pay-per-view event Saturday night. The pay-per-view portion of the Wilder-Ortiz undercard is set to start at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

The action is scheduled to begin with a 12-rounder between Brandon Figueroa (20-0, 15 KOs), of Weslaco, Texas, and Mexico’s Julio Ceja (32-4, 28 KOs). They’ll fight for Figueroa’s WBA super bantamweight title.

In another 12-rounder on pay-per-view, Mexico’s Luis Nery (30-0, 24 KOs) will oppose Puerto Rico’s Emmanuel Rodriguez (19-1, 12 KOs). Rodriguez will try to bounce back from a second-round knockout defeat to IBF/WBA bantamweight champ Naoya Inoue (19-0, 16 KOs) in his last fight, May 19 in Glasgow, Scotland.

In the bout before Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs) and Ortiz (31-1, 26 KOs, 2 NC) fight again, three-division champion Leo Santa Cruz will make his debut in the 130-pound division. Santa Cruz (36-1-1, 19 KOs), of Rosemead, California, is set to face Houston’s Miguel Flores (24-2, 12 KOs) in a 12-rounder for the WBA’s “super” 130-pound crown.

The suggested retail price to watch Wilder-Ortiz in HD is $74.95.

Pacquiao Weighs Options For Springtime Ring Return

The most lucrative option of boxing’s richest division is ready to return to the ring.

Eight-division and reigning welterweight titlist Manny Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39KOs) is making plans for his first fight of 2020, which—as BoxingScene.com previously reported on Nov. 16—is being optimistically targeted for the first quarter of the new year.

Pacquiao is among several welterweights among the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) awaiting marching orders for their first assignment of 2020, given previous announced plans which remain in flux.

Unbeaten and unified titlist Errol Spence Jr. (26-0, 21KOs) was due to collide with former two-division titlist Danny Garcia (35-2, 21KOs) in a bout slated for the first quarter of 2020, as previously teased immediately following Spence’s title-unifying win over Shawn Porter in a leading contender for 2019 Fight of the Year this past September atop a Fox Sports Pay-Per-View event. Had the bout gone through as planned, it would have paved the way for other welterweight fights to fall into place.

Those plans placed were placed on hold, however, when Desoto, Texas’ Spence was hospitalized following a horrific but non-life threatening car crash this past October in downtown Dallas. Spence continues to recover physically and emotionally in the aftermath, with hopes of also returning in the 1st quarter of 2020.

Whether it will still come against Philadelphia’s Garcia remains to be seen—and could also determine whether Pacquiao lands a fight with the former two-division champ instead or faces former four-division titlist Mikey Garcia (39-1, 30KOs).

“Garcia or Garcia will be in the corner most likely,” Gibbons joked, offering each as nothing more than options. “Nothing definite.”

Pacquiao hasn’t fought since a 12-round win over previously unbeaten Keith Thurman (29-1, 22KOs) in their title consolidation clash this past July. The win kicked off Pacquiao’s fourth tour as a welterweight titlist, having also claimed titles and lineal championships at 112, 122, 126, 130, 135, 140 and 154 pounds over the course of his incredible career, which is coming up on its 24th anniversary since his Jan. 1995 pro debut and still going strong heading into his 41st birthday in December.

The legendary future Hall of Fame boxer is also a full-time senator in his native Philippines, having won a seat in the 2016 general election after having previously served two terms as a congressman. His role as a senator makes it a bit more problematic to schedule fights at his leisure, with his aforementioned win over Thurman having to take place when it did due to his need to tend to his political obligations shortly thereafter.

As for his first opponent of 2020, the waiting game continues.

Philadelphia’s Garcia has never stopped training, whether for Spence or against another top-shelf welterweight such as Pacquiao. Early rumors had a Spence-Danny Garcia bout taking place Jan. 25, a date that currently lacks an announced main event or platform but which has been set aside for a super middleweight clash between unbeaten titlist David Benavidez and mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim.

California’s Garcia has been deliberately cryptic with his own future plans, whether continuing with PBC or signing with over-the-top media service DAZN. Even the weight at which his next fight will take place has been a moving target. Garcia hasn’t fought since a lopsided 12-round loss to Spence in March, and has since discussed the possibility of either staying at 147 pounds or dropping back down to 140 pounds where his brief run included a 12-round win over previously unbeaten Sergey Lipinets last March to claim a fourth divisional title.

A showdown with Pacquiao—to which the Filipino southpaw is receptive according to his handlers (though whom also state every top welterweight is always an option)—would be an enticing enough attraction for most welterweights, although it very much remains to be seen whom will land the lucrative assignment.

8th rd TKO Wilder. Hes not going to Stiverene Ortiz. Stiverene just fucking stood there waiting to get KOd. Ortiz will gas in the 6th

I want and think Wilder will win.

I don't know if he will win but I want Tony Harrison to beat Charlo again. That Charlo win is such a fucking clown. I agree with Harrison dude seems so fake and he trying so hard to seem like a tough guy.

Haymon, Spence and PBC was tripping if they was going to put Spence vs Danny Garcia on ppv. I'm a big fan of Spence but no way in the world was I going to pay for that fight. Garcia has done absolutely nothing to warrant that fight and for it to be on ppv. People really be fucking up their own money. Spence ppv numbers would've taken a huge dip in numbers if that Garcia fight would've been on ppv.

Santa Cruz: Put Pressure On Loma, He Don't Know What To Do

LAS VEGAS – Gary Russell Jr. and Gervonta Davis are the two potential opponents Leo Santa Cruz mentions most.

Though the long-discussed Russell fight still hasn’t happened, Santa Cruz considers those matches makeable because all three boxers work with advisor Al Haymon. There’s another high-profile fight Santa Cruz would welcome, even though it’d require Haymon to work with an adversary, Hall-of-Fame promoter Bob Arum.

“When Lomachenko was at 126, 130, I said hopefully one day I could fight him,” Santa Cruz told BoxingScene.com before a press conference Wednesday at MGM Grand. “Because he’s a great fighter and I would like to get in the ring with him.”

Ukraine’s Lomachenko has fought at 135 pounds for the past 18 months, but Santa Cruz still wants to test himself against the highly skilled southpaw, preferably at 130 pounds.

“Lomachenko’s a great fighter,” Santa Cruz said. “But I also see flaws in him. When he faces fighters who put pressure on him, he don’t know what to do. He don’t like it.”

The 31-year-old Santa Cruz is focused for now on meeting Miguel Flores in Santa Cruz’s 130-pound debut Saturday night at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Santa Cruz (36-1-1, 19 KOs), of Rosemead, California, and Houston’s Flores (24-2, 12 KOs) will fight for the WBA “super” 130-pound championship Davis vacated to move up to the lightweight limit of 135.

FOX Sports will air Santa Cruz-Flores as part of its pay-per-view undercard before Deontay Wilder defends his WBC heavyweight title versus Luis Ortiz in a 12-round rematch (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT; $74.95 in HD).

Lomachenko, meanwhile, could face the winner of the Richard Commey-Teofimo Lopez fight next. Ghana’s Commey (29-2, 26 KOs) will defend his IBF lightweight title when he opposes Lopez (14-0, 11 KOs) on December 14 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Fighting the Commey-Lopez winner would afford Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs) a chance to add the only recognized lightweight title he hasn’t owned to his resume. Arum also has mentioned the possibility of the two-time Olympic gold medalist returning to the 130-pound division, something Santa Cruz considers a smart move for the former WBO junior lightweight champion.

“With the bigger guys, he’s moving up too much in weight,” Santa Cruz said. “I think 130 is the best weight class for him, because those other guys are gonna be too big.”

Back