Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

https://www.boxingscene.com/fury-i-came-espn-make-wilder-rematch-big-possible--139206

Fury: I Came To ESPN To Make Wilder Rematch As Big As Possible
By Jake Donovan

Tyson Fury has never been one to mince his words. On Monday, he let his clothes do the talking before he even had a chance to open his mouth.

The unbeaten British heavyweight made the rounds on various ESPN platforms, strutting his stuff in a custom-made suit bearing the images of all of the lineal heavyweight champions throughout boxing history.

“I don’t see Deontay Wilder on here,” Fury pointed out to the panel during his segment on ESPN’s First Take. “If he ever wants to be on this thing, he’s got to beat me.”

Fury (27-0-1, 19KOs) earned the lineal championship with a stunningly lopsided 12-round win over long-reigning king Wladimir Klitschko in Nov. 2015. The feat ended Klitschko’s lineal reign after more than six years, also putting to a close his second tour with at least one major title around his waist which extended back to April 2006.

Whether he still holds ties to that championship depends on whom you ask. Most historians consider his having severed all ties with the sport in 2016—following battles with drug, alcohol and mental health—rendering the crown vacant. Others—particularly those with a vested interest in his career—still claim him as the reigning World heavyweight champ.

Regardless, Fury proved he still belongs among today’s heavyweight elite following an impressive showing versus Wilder last December. The two fought to a disputed draw, with Fury winning the majority of the rounds but also suffering a pair of late knockdowns to muddy the waters in the end.

The late thrills in their Showtime Pay-Per-View headliner—coupled with the inconclusive ending—served as proper motivation to run it back, with the two sides seemingly close to a deal earlier this year. Fury and his team—promoter Frank Warren and managerial outfit MTK Global—threw everyone for a loop, however, in bailing on the proposed offer and instead signing a multi-fight deal with Top Rank and ESPN.

Wilder (41-0-1, 40KOs)—who moved forward with a mandatory title defense versus Dominic Breazeale, whom he annihilated in one round this past Saturday—has long served as a centerpiece of Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) conglomerate. As Haymon and Top Rank founder and CEO Bob Arum rarely do business together, Fury’s political alignment figured to kill any such hope for a rematch.

The 30-year old heavyweight doesn’t see it that way, explaining his true intention for joining the ESPN family.

“On Showtime, it wasn’t viewed by that many people. I think it was only 325,000 (PPV buys),” Fury pointed out, although the figures don’t accurately portray just how many fans actually saw the fight. “A world heavyweight title fight with two of the most colorful, charismatic champions in the past 50 years… it needs to be built bigger.

“I believe this platform on ESPN will give me that option to make it a massive global fight, not only 300,000 (-plus) in the United States. I think another 450,000 viewed it in the United Kingdom. We need to make it bigger.”

His debut on the platform comes June 15 versus Germany’s Tom Schwarz. The fight will stream live on ESPN+, which isn’t quite the same as airing a fight on ESPN’s linear platform which boasts nearly 30 times the viewing audience.

Still, the Disney-owned company is going all in for the show, already promoting the event as witnessed by Fury making the company rounds on Monday. Additionally, the ESPN+ card will be preceded by a live telecast on ESPN2.

Once he takes care of business in June, Fury—with ESPN backing—is prepared to return to reopening conversation that would give his old friend a chance to have his picture added to that fancy lineal championship suit.

“If (Wilder) wants a rematch, I’m sure we’re gonna get it on,” Fury believes. “I didn’t come here and sign a deal with ESPN so I can fight bums.

“I came here to make the fight as big as possible.”

Are you serious??? You know there is video footage right??? lol Tyson got up, wobbled Wilder AFTER and finished the round stronger...

Stop this nonsense.
The ref had him shake off the dizziness and pain by walking up and down and shit... TWICE!

During the 9th round, Fury got up at the 9th count but was able to buy some time due to the wack ass ref.
During the 12th round, Fury got up exactly at the 10th count and the ref bought him some more time.

If we are being honest, the ref should have waved his hand and call off the fight in favour of Deontay. You do not get up exactly at the tenth count, it has to be before.

Here's proof if you want it: https://ringside24.com/en/video/2515/

Last edited:
Stop this nonsense.
The ref had him shake off the dizziness and pain by walking up and down and shit... TWICE!

During the 9th round, Fury got up at the 9th count but was able to buy some time due to the wack ass ref.
During the 10th round, Fury got up exactly at the 10th count and the ref bought him some more time.

If we are being honest, the ref should have waved his hand and call off the fight in favour of Deontay. You do not get up exactly at the tenth count, it has to be before.

Here's proof if you want it: https://ringside24.com/en/video/2515/

Bro you are seriously delusional have you taken one of Wilder's right hands??? First off after 2 or 3 seconds in the 9th round KD he was looking clearly at the ref on one knee waiting for him to get to 8... In the 10th round, go actually watch the YouTube videos of the people PROPERLY timing the KD not only did he beat the count, he could have gotten longer as Wilder didnt go to the neutral corner, its all besides the point anyway because at the end of the day Tyson should have got decision and proved at ELITE level Wilder cant hang and rely on power with fighters with proper fundamentals...

Reiss was clearly right not to call it off too because Fury got up, traded shots and out fought Wilder for the rest of the round...

Last edited:
Foh. He schooled Wilder the whole fight aside from that shot

I am not disputing that... and I agree.
Had Deontay not knock Fury down the second time then I would have agreed that Fury got robbed because he definitely out fought Deontay the whole time.

But facts are facts no matter how you look at it:
  • the second knockdown
  • not fully standing up by the 10th count
  • getting extra time to recover by walking up and down
I've never seen a fighter get so much help from a ref to recover like that ever.

Last edited:
Lol.. I don’t know anybody that’s checking for that Joshua fight.. The fight may do numbers on the strength Joshua got his whole country behind him, but I don’t think this is the fight that will gain the mainstream American audience..

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-wilder-msg-he-want-joshua--139408

Hearn: Wilder Won't Be at MSG Because He Doesn't Want Joshua

Eddie Hearn, promoter for WBO, IBF, IBO, WBA heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, says he is not surprised that WBC champion Deontay Wilder will not be ringside this coming Saturday night.

Last week, Wilder's co-manager, Shelly Finkel, said his boxer will not be ringside for Joshua's fight with Andy Ruiz on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

A week back, Wilder crushed mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale with a first round knockout at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Hearn believes Wilder is going to face Luis Ortiz in a rematch in the coming months, and being ringside for Joshua would create a lot of pressure on Wilder to face the British star next.

If Wilder is not available, there is no word on what Hearn will do as a Plan B for his fighter, since Oleksandr Usyk is recovering from an injury and will not be interested in facing Joshua in his first bout at heavyweight.

"I think because Deontay knows he’s not going to fight Joshua, or he doesn’t want to fight Joshua, there’s going to be a lot of pressure on him,’ Hearn told IFL TV.

"If he’s there, we’re going to put it on him, the media are going to put it on him and the fans are going to put it on him. And if he knows he’s fighting Ortiz, there probably isn’t a huge amount of point in him going to be honest. But I hope he goes.

"What can we do? We want the undisputed fight, we can’t make it any clearer. I don’t care about Deontay Wilder, we’ve got to care about Andy Ruiz. Next week, Britain takes over Madison Square Garden and America get to see Anthony Joshua live and up close. All I care about is Joshua-Ruiz. Once that’s dealt with, and touch wood AJ gets the win, we’ll move on and push as hard as we can for that fight [against Wilder]."

giphy.gif

https://www.boxingscene.com/thurman-i-want-spence-late-2020-he-needs-get-more-popular--139412

Thurman: I Want Spence Late 2020, He Needs To Get More Popular
By Gilbert Manzano

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.— Keith Thurman doesn’t believe Manny Pacquiao belongs in the conversation for best welterweight, but the former unified champion didn’t accept the bout with Pacquiao to prove he’s the best in the division.

Thurman did it to gain stature. A win against one of the most recognized boxers of the past decade could put Thurman in position for bigger paydays and give him A-side status in future bouts against other top welterweights.

“I do not believe that (Pacquiao) belongs at the top of 147 today,” Thurman told reporters after a news conference to promote his July 20 fight against Pacquiao. “Not against me. Not against Errol Spence. Not against (Terence) Crawford. Not against Shawn (Porter). Not against Danny Garcia.”

Many fight fans are clamoring for a megabout between Spence and Crawford, but Thurman doesn’t believe that fight would decide the true king of the 147-pound decision.

The real fight, according to Thurman, is him against Spence. He said that matchup would be as big as Floyd Mayweather fighting Pacquiao in 2015 or Oscar De La Hoya against Felix “Tito” Trinidad in 1999. Both of those memorable fights featured the best welterweights of their era and generated plenty of money.

Thurman has already tested himself against top welterweights. He owns signature wins against Porter and Garcia, but neither of those fights gave him eye-popping paychecks.

Thurman wants to marinate the bout with Spence, and said late 2020 would be an ideal time to serve it to the boxing public.

“Everybody wants to rush things,” Thurman said. “I still think there’s just a little bit more time, even at the later leg of 2020. That’s not too soon. That’s not too late. It’s a great time.

“Keith Thurman versus Errol Spence is the next Floyd-Pacquiao. It’s the next Oscar-Tito Trinidad, and we need to make sure that the world knows. Once I handle this (against Pacquiao), and I elevate myself and (Spence) elevates himself, then we fight on another elevated platform. We could have fought two years ago for what; $1.6 million, $1.8 million? What does that do? And what does that do for the winner?”

Thurman said Spence needs more time to gain popularity, and credited Mikey Garcia for the success of Spence’s first pay-per-view event when he defeated Garcia in March. Garcia, who has a big Latino following, and Spence, the IBF champion, generated more than 350,000 PPV buys and had an announced attendance of 47,000 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“I also believe that Errol Spence has a little more popularity to grow in the sport of boxing,” Thurman said. “Let’s make sure (Thurman-Spence) is bigger (than Spence-Garcia), and he’s going to elevate himself if he unifies the title that I unified if he gets the WBC.”

There are reports that Spence is headed for a late summer unification bout with Porter, who owns the WBC belt that Thurman vacated because of injury. Thurman will defend his WBA belt against Pacquiao, who holds the WBA secondary title.

Thurman said he doesn’t understand the backlash he has received for wanting to wait to make the Spence fight. He said he’s not ducking Spence because he hasn’t been presented a contract to fight him.

“People talk about ducking this, ducking that,” Thurman said. “To duck it, you gotta be presented with something and then decline it. That’s an official this guy is not trying to fight that guy. So that’s never happened to me in my career. I accept all the challengers, especially if it’s a great challenge.”

2C029AE1-BC29-4744-A497-1A4070B5FECC.gif

Back