Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

I been noticing this with the espn shit but who gives a fuck if they married or engaged... smh

Really like this commentary crew of Bradley and Dre and who ever the other guy is

https://www.boxingscene.com/gervonta-davis-lomachenko-faced-smaller-guys-more--136012

Gervonta Davis: Lomachenko Faced Smaller Guys More Than Once
By Keith Idec

Gervonta Davis has heard and read a lot of criticism about boxing a featherweight since Hugo Ruiz replaced Abner Mares as his opponent last week.

Ruiz will move up four pounds, from 126 to 130, to challenge Davis for the unbeaten Baltimore southpaw’s WBA “super” world super featherweight title Saturday night in Carson, California. Mexico’s Ruiz fought at featherweight just 2½ weeks ago, but at 5-feet-9½, Ruiz stands four full inches taller than Davis, who would’ve owned a one-inch height edge against Mares.

Now that he’s suddenly facing a significant height disadvantage, the 24-year-old Davis can’t understand why he is being criticized for fighting someone coming up only slightly in weight.

Mares also would’ve moved up from 126 pounds to 130 to challenge Davis (20-0, 19 KOs). Ruiz (39-4, 33 KOs) is far less proven against top opposition than Mares (31-3-1, 15 KOs), but he has a much better knockout ratio than the three-division champion who withdrew from the fight due to a serious eye injury.

Regardless, Davis just hopes those criticizing him remember that when Vasiliy Lomachenko was a 130-pound champion the current WBA 135-pound title-holder’s most noteworthy win came against a 122-pounder, Guillermo Rigondeaux. Lomachenko stopped Rigondeaux following six one-sided rounds in December 2017 in The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

In his previous fight, Ukraine’s Lomachenko (12-1, 9 KOs) stopped another featherweight who had moved up, Miguel Marriaga, after the seventh round in August 2017.

“My mind was focused on Abner,” Davis said during a recent conference call. “Not to throw any other fighter under the bus, but Vasiliy Lomachenko, he fought someone that was two weight classes under him, and not only one time. He fought another person that was smaller than him, Rigondeaux and Miguel Marriaga.”

Davis realizes many boxing fans from Southern California were looking forward to him meeting Mares, a 2004 Mexican Olympian who’s popular in that region. Mares, 33, can’t face Davis because he sustained a career-threatening detached retina in his right eye in a sparring session late last month.

Ruiz is a lower-profile opponent than Mares, but he, too, is a native Mexican who resides in nearby Glendora, California.

“I just want to say I’m excited for February 9,” Davis said. “I’m looking forward to my new opponent. Sorry to the fans who purchased tickets thinking that I was fighting Abner. My main focus was fighting Abner.

“February 9, I’m just trying to give them an action-packed fight, no matter who I fight. I’ll put on a great performance for the fans so they can enjoy the fight and go home with something to talk about.”

Davis-Ruiz will headline a “Showtime Championship Boxing” tripleheader Saturday night from Dignity Health Sports Park, formerly known as StubHub Center.

In the opener of this three-bout broadcast (10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT), lightweights Sharif Bogere (32-1, 20 KOs) and Javier Fortuna (33-2-1, 23 KOs, 2 NC) will square off in a 10-rounder. The co-featured fight will match junior welterweight contender Mario Barrios (22-0, 14 KOs) against Richard Zamora (19-2, 12 KOs) in another 10-round bout.

https://www.boxingscene.com/james-degale-vs-chris-eubank-picked-up-by-showtime--136033

James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Has Been Picked Up By Showtime

SHOWTIME Sports will present the highly anticipated super middleweight matchup between fierce British rivals James DeGale and Chris Eubank Jr. Saturday, February 23 live on SHOWTIME from London’s The O2. In the co-featured bout, fast rising prospect Joe Joyce battles former world champion Bermane Stiverne in a 12-round heavyweight clash. The event will air live on air and via the networks’ streaming service at a start time to be announced.

The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® event is presented by Premier Boxing Champions on ITV in the U.K. and promoted by Poxon Sports. The co-feature bout is promoted in association with Ringstar Sports and Don King Productions.

DeGale (25-2-1, 15 KOs) and Eubank (27-2, 21 KOs) will finally settle their long-running score when the two outspoken rivals finally go toe-to-toe in front of the excitable hometown London crowd in the all-British affair for the vacant IBO world title.

The 33-year-old DeGale was the first British boxer to win a Gold Medal in the Olympics and a world championship as a professional. He won his world title with a unanimous decision over Andre Dirrell in 2015 and made two successful defenses before fighting to a draw against Badou Jack in 2017. DeGale avenged his December 2017 loss to Caleb Truax to reclaim his IBF Super Middleweight belt in April 2018 on SHOWTIME. After voluntarily vacating the belt, DeGale stopped veteran Fidel Munoz his last time out.

The 29-year-old Eubank Jr., the son of former two-division world champion Chris Eubank, is highly motivated to challenge for more world titles after he lost a unanimous decision to George Groves for the WBA Super Middleweight belt one year ago. The rivalry between DeGale and Eubank has been brewing for several years after a series of run-ins. The duo has sparred each other in the gym and have traded several verbal jabs on social media. Eubank, who has been training in Las Vegas at the Mayweather Boxing Club, has won nine out of his last ten fights and has registered knockouts in eight of those wins.

The 6-foot-6 Joyce, of London, England, has started his professional career with a 100 percent KO rate after turning professional in 2017 at the age of 32. An accomplished amateur, Joyce claimed the super heavyweight silver medal for Great Britain at the 2016 Olympic Games. Joyce, who trains in Big Bear, Calif. under renowned trainer Abel Sanchez, knocked out Joe Hanks at 2:25 of round one in his last fight on the Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury undercard.

Stiverne (25-3-1, 21 KOs), who was the first ever Haiti-born boxer to own a piece of the heavyweight crown, won the WBC title with a convincing sixth-round TKO over Chris Arreola in 2014. Stiverne then lost the belt in his next fight against Deontay Wilder, despite becoming the first fighter to take the current American champion the distance. The 40-year-old has not fought since his loss in the 2017 rematch against Wilder but is anxious to bounce back with a statement win over the highly regarded Joyce.

Max Kellerman's boxing show on ESPN2 debuts today at 5pm. I'll try to watch it.

Do yall think any PBC or DAZN fighters will be guests or interviewed on the show?

I think it would a bad move on PBC part to not allow their fighters to be guests on the show. Regardless of the boxing shows they have on FS1. Even on a competing channel its still a chance to get more people to know who the fighter is.

Back