Welcome To aBlackWeb

NYU professor says fewer men in college will lead to 'mating crisis' with the US producing many 'lone and broke' men

I'm not sure I'd say most are getting useless degrees. One way to look at it is you get an opportunity, you pay to learn and then after 4 years you work and gradually pay off your debt. All the people I know and went to school with all found jobs.

I'm guessing they all probably majored in fields that made sense too.

Nothing along the lines of liberal arts or "women's studies."

Honorable mention to Akowisa..........or Akosiwa. (forget which one it is)

Also known as Lil Loca.

The bold isn't true at all. There's more to the world than those 4 areas. Hell half the reason we got so many dumbasses now is because people kept funneling into the same degrees and course work without ever considering anything else in life. It's why so many people drop out of law school and med school in their 1st year.
What are some other degrees that you'd consider good fields to pursue that aren't wastes of time? Whatever they are add them to the list. My point still remains.

Nah man it comes down to what turns you on. There are billionaires in every industry, field and subject and many more who are millionaires. I think the problem lies when people depend entirely on the degree and don't take into account the long-term of actually building a career and learning things like how to sell yourself, the mechanics of the business side of your field etc.

Too many people want to go to college graduate and then get 75k a year at entry level. You gotta make your bones. Again tho, it's an opportunity and depending on what field you're going into, it's more challenging without the degree to get you in the door. But there's always options on the contrary.
I understand where you're coming from. Makes sense

Education is just an opportunity, you do with it what you want. It's not a guarantee but if you live in North America and do everything you can you'll find a job.

If you're not going to go to college that's perfectly fine too but make sure you at least have a plan of how you plan to reach your goals. You cannot complain if you're not doing all you can to win.

I view it like this my relatives that went to schools not everybody was a stem major and everybody doing well. I think my uncle is an engineer but he was in military for a minute. Sister and brother in law both are in education and both taught. Other cousin merchant marine. I think college is to give you expertise or close to it and learning to be professional. Connections too. But like you said expecting 75k off jump ain’t always realistic.

Why would it lead to a mating crisis? Women can just date down.

hannibal-eating.gif

What are some other degrees that you'd consider good fields to pursue that aren't wastes of time? Whatever they are add them to the list. My point still remains.

It's not just about the degree because most degrees also have specific concentrations with them. That's why when people say shit like "don't go get a liberal arts degree" it's clear they don't know what they're talking about because that covers a bunch of different topics that may have nothing to do with each other.

What are these college institutions doing to increase Male enrollment?

Why would they do that? This is a societal problem, not an academic one. colleges and universities don't give a fuck if that tuition money is coming from a male or a female. Until it starts to affect THEIR bottom line, they really have no incentive to do anything about it. In fact, they prolly would prefer that 60% of their students be female.

I could be wrong. Maybe there actually is some incentive for the actual schools to try to attract more males. But I don't see it.

I believe college is overrated AF, people be going into debt to try to survive by trying to get a 6 figure job in markets that are over saturated with people taking the same major. Its never smart going into debt getting a degree if you can't get a job that pays you more than what you went to college for.....I know people with degrees making minimum wage and are deeply in debt from going to college.

I hate these high schools who give students a one way out about going college being some american dream.

High schools need to give students options in other career fields that don't require much debt or none at all that are high paying jobs.

Give these students more options to choose from besides college because college is not for everybody.

Last edited:
I understand why folks think college is a scam but I'll still impress upon younger black men that they'll be better starting off with a degree than without one at the end of the day. Like the professor stated, being young, broke, and lonely (which something like college can prevent through joining clubs/orgs, career development, and networking) is a recipe for disaster.

I know how hard it is to pay back student debt but there are some local and state schools who are giving out full rides with kids who have average grades in HS. Plus knowing our reality things like student debt may not even be a thing by the time they are their parents age in the future.

If you really don't want to commit to a 4 year school get an associates to test the waters or get a cert

I believe college is overrated AF, people be going into debt to try to survive by trying to get a 6 figure job in markets that are over saturated with people taking the same major. Its never smart going into debt getting a degree if you can't get a job that pays you more than what you went to college for.....I know people with degrees making minimum wage and are deeply in debt from going to college.

Based on what you're saying it's not college that's overrated it's people getting degrees in over saturated markets because they keep listening to "go get a STEM/law/business degree" and don't consider anything else. There's a reason with most schools you have to the end of your sophomore year to actually declare a major. Because what you go in thinking you might like may not really be for you.

But it also brings to mind that trades people and tech guys (especially developers) can make loads of money.

So maybe the issue the article brings up about women not willing to date men without college isn't so worrisome. If u got money what's a degree to a potential mate?

Then again I don't know the stats here. How many men are opting for good paying jobs with self training or apprenticeships and how many are just settling into shit? There gotta be more to the story than men settling for less right?

The solution?

working together with the right person.
I got to school then you.....build together.
Problem is, once some start seeing a few zero’s, that cold chicken is enough to break up a marriage and say fuck the plan cuz I’m good now.

Back