Welcome To aBlackWeb

Ny Times to do a ‘1619 project’ on the history of slavery & conservative Whitey is upset. Update: ABC will be airing 2 episodes of 1619Project doc

I always found it ironic that the political party that takes such pride that they so-called "freed the Slaves" and it was the "Democrats who started the KKK"" etc.etc.
So why is it always these very conservative Republicans who will side AGAINST and oppose African-Americans whenever we speak out against racism,discrimination,injustice,and inequality and the horrific racial history of this country???

This is the one difference between what Germany did after WW2 and the US. Germany accepted the fact that they fucked up for their actions during ww2 generally and what they did to Jews specifically and have been paying for it and activelu apologizing for it since. Germany also talks against all types of racism and right wing nationalism. There are still racists in Germany but the govt will come out and say we fucked up bad during ww2 and nobody should repeat our mistakes in a heart beat.

The US though? They just cant come to terms with their racism and past mistakes.

Slavery and institutionalized racism against African Ameticans is by far the biggest example but the US has a racist history against fucking everyone. The US hasnt accepted or apologized to what they did to the Natives, the Asians, the Irish, the Italians, the hispanics, and the list goes on.

The least racist country in the world is the biggest lie.

They're off by over a century. Slavery in the Americas began in 1493, when Columbus shipped Natives off to Europe as slaves and continued to use us as slaves until 1619, when the first ship carrying Africans arrived.

They didn't say that's when slavery began. They said that's when the first slaves from Africa arrived.

Honestly, I think comments like this one in response to the first article are the worst:

The problem with sowing division along racial lines, as this article seeks, is that it succeeds. The narrative that hard work did not achieve success is true for many people, of all colours and nationalities! It is not the reserve of black people. I'm sorry to say this but if people just moved on with their lives instead of constantly using their race as some kind of badge for the downtrodden then we would all be better off. Life is tough, as it was for most of our forefathers. The world does not owe you anything. Make the best of it.

The people in the tweets above sound stupid, and a lot of people would write them off as such. This person attempts to sound reasonable, but the things said are here are more troublesome. First, he pulls the same tried and true tactic of equating the simple acknowledgement of the history of racism in the U.S. with causing division among races. Then the person implies that the possibility that nonblacks can work hard and not prosper is the same as blacks being intentionally denied prosperity for centuries. Then he pulls racist white people's favorite line of "it's time to move on." Like, first, ya'll haven't moved on because, as some of those articles point out, you're still doing different forms of the same shit you did in the past. More importantly, he fails to recognize that it's not easy to move on from something that has been with a people for this long. How does a black baby just move on from being born into a wealth gap that was placed on it before it was even born? Then he finishes with a dismissive sentiment about the world being tough and black people not being owed anything for being victims of that toughness. What if a black person broke into his house and robbed him at gunpoint? Would he just accept that life is tough and keep it moving? Or would he use the N word about a dozen times and then demand that someone redress the wrong done to him. We all know the answer to that.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the articles, and I know they are charting things from the landing of the first slaves, but I actually think it's important to have some discussion of what was going on in America beforehand. I haven't read all the articles, so one might have done it, but I know the first article makes the point that a lot of people, including Lincoln, blamed black people or at least the presence of black people in the U.S. for racism. There are many problems with that belief, but the biggest is probably that black people didn't just arrive in the U.S. in 1619. They were already here working as indentured servants before then. They lived and worked besides white people with no real issues. Race didn't become a problem until the people in power at the time intentionally made it a problem to protect their own interests. So whites weren't just the perpetrators of American racism, they were also the inventors of it.

This is from one of the NYT's tweets:

"American slavery began 400 years ago this month. "

They're not acknowledging the enslavement of Natives at all.

It's true they weren't as clear as they could have or should have been, but the intro to the project as a whole makes it clear that the 1619 start point is associated with the arrival of African slaves and the chattel system that resulted. You're right that Natives were enslaved in the Americas before that, however, the purpsoe of the project is to discuss the role that American slavery has played in nation's development. The enslavement of the Natives was relatively important to early colonization of the Americas, but it didn't really affect the growth or molding of the 13 colonies or the nation that came from them.

It's true they weren't as clear as they could have or should have been, but the intro to the project as a whole makes it clear that the 1619 start point is associated with the arrival of African slaves and the chattel system that resulted. You're right that Natives were enslaved in the Americas before that, however, the purpsoe of the project is to discuss the role that American slavery has played in nation's development. The enslavement of the Natives was relatively important to early colonization of the Americas, but it didn't really affect the growth or molding of the 13 colonies or the nation that came from them.

The enslavement of Natives is the foundation upon which everything else was built.

What’s a native

pp,550x550.u1.jpg

It's the other side of my equation.

Back