Welcome To aBlackWeb

NJPW/IMPACT/Indy Wrestling News/Events Thread

Jericho on AEW & Vince being scared.

Long read.

https://www.tvinsider.com/778328/ch...or-nothing-tnt/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“You’re hearing about prelim guys getting $400,000, $500,000 a year deals. Everyone deserves the money they make, but they never would have gotten that before and wouldn’t get it somewhere else. They can be ones who will never draw a dime. It doesn’t matter. Vince doesn’t want anyone coming to AEW. Doesn’t want there to be a mass exodus whether you are an opening match jobber or a main event Roman Reigns. He doesn’t want anybody to go.”

For Jericho, it is every bit a competition.

“This is a war,” he adds. “Even if you don’t want it to be, it just is. There hasn’t been any competition for WWE on a national basis for 20 years or more. I think this is something they didn’t really want, but it’s great for the fans and great for the guys. I think in the long run it’s going to make a difference because it gives people a choice. And it’s always good to have a choice.”

An important trait for any new company to have is standing out. Separating itself from what’s out there in the market. Jericho believes AEW’s television product will lean more into freer artistry from talent.

“I don’t think you are going to see an over-scripted type of show. We have no intention of being WWE lite,” he said. “WWE is the best in the world at what they do. We won’t be doing that. We have a different mindset. I think when you look at what goes on during a New Japan show. That might be what the in-ring product looks like when you think about the way it’s shot, and guys have a lot more input in what they’re doing from a creative standpoint and character standpoint.”

Jericho on AEW & Vince being scared.

Long read.

https://www.tvinsider.com/778328/ch...or-nothing-tnt/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“You’re hearing about prelim guys getting $400,000, $500,000 a year deals. Everyone deserves the money they make, but they never would have gotten that before and wouldn’t get it somewhere else. They can be ones who will never draw a dime. It doesn’t matter. Vince doesn’t want anyone coming to AEW. Doesn’t want there to be a mass exodus whether you are an opening match jobber or a main event Roman Reigns. He doesn’t want anybody to go.”

For Jericho, it is every bit a competition.

“This is a war,” he adds. “Even if you don’t want it to be, it just is. There hasn’t been any competition for WWE on a national basis for 20 years or more. I think this is something they didn’t really want, but it’s great for the fans and great for the guys. I think in the long run it’s going to make a difference because it gives people a choice. And it’s always good to have a choice.”

An important trait for any new company to have is standing out. Separating itself from what’s out there in the market. Jericho believes AEW’s television product will lean more into freer artistry from talent.

“I don’t think you are going to see an over-scripted type of show. We have no intention of being WWE lite,” he said. “WWE is the best in the world at what they do. We won’t be doing that. We have a different mindset. I think when you look at what goes on during a New Japan show. That might be what the in-ring product looks like when you think about the way it’s shot, and guys have a lot more input in what they’re doing from a creative standpoint and character standpoint.”
ALL IN

ORIGINAL: It was announced earlier today that All Elite Wrestling has agreed to a deal with WarnerMedia which will see AEW air on TNT this fall. TSN’s John McMullen has reported more details on the situation on Twitter, stating there are no rights fees and that since AEW is being treated as a sports property, there are production fees and a “great” advertising split. He added that this is huge for a company that is just starting out.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/more...oduction-how-ad-revenue-will-be-handled-more/

UPDATE: During today’s edition of Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez talked about the new broadcasting partnership with All Elite Wrestling and WarnerMedia that will see AEW have a show in primetime on TNT set to debut later this fall. Bryan Alvarez responded to the reports by John McMullen earlier that there were no rights fees on the All Elite Wrestling TV deal, and he said they were “incorrect.”

Alvarez and co-host Mike Sempervive said the following about the deal:

Sempervive : “The big negative about this deal, there are no TV rights fees, this is not a massive money deal per se.”
Alvarez: “Wait, wait, we don’t know any of that.”
Sempervive : “Well, well they did not announce that, you’re right. They seemingly reported though in some circles that this is not a rights deal.”
Alvarez: “Yeah, but that was incorrect.”
Sempervive : “So there is a rights deal?”
Alvarez: “Yes, they are making money off this television deal.”

UPDATE 2: In response to Bryan Alvarez’s claims on Wrestling Observer Live that AEW is receiving TV rights fees, John McMullen of TSN says that isn’t the case. Asked to comment on Alvarez’s claim that there are TV rights fees, McMullen told 411, “Yes, he’s incorrect.”

McMullen, who posted the initial details on the financial aspects of the deal as you can see earlier in this report, added, “Here’s the deal. People often spin these things how they want. For instance, fifty-two weeks of production at $500,000 is $26 million but that’s not rights fees. I’m coming from a sports background and things like production aren’t included. He may look at things differently.”

Straight washed

XQWrzx4.png

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/atsushi-aoki-has-passed-away

Atsushi Aoki Has Passed Away at 41-Years-Old

All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW) Junior Heavyweight Champion Atsushi Aoki has sadly passed away at 41-years-old.

Aoki was involved in a fatal motorcycle accident in Tokyo, Japan, where he hit a wall curving in a tunnel, per Chris Charlton:

He won the AJPW Junior Heavyweight Title two weeks ago. Aoki was scheduled to defend his title against Hikaru Sato on June 18. He was in the midst of his fourth reign as champion, the most in promotion history.

Back