Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW NAS - Lost Tapes 2

Rate: Lost Tapes 2

• Total voters
This means absolutely nothing.

Furthermore every Illmatic single was a top 30 rap hit besides Lifes a Bitch.

Well aren't we being argumentative?

All I'm saying is that Illmatic got immediate critical acclaim, but didn't sell. It Was Written was the other way around. Most of the people I knew that had heard Illmatic first thought It Was Written was a let down.

It Was Written sold because it had radio friendly singles.

What part do you disagree with?

Well aren't we being argumentative?

All I'm saying is that Illmatic got immediate critical acclaim, but didn't sell. It Was Written was the other way around. Most of the people I knew that had heard Illmatic first thought It Was Written was a let down.

It Was Written sold because it had radio friendly singles.

What part do you disagree with?

1. the whole post was pointless

2. Illmatic didn't sell at first for whatever reason, but not having songs on the radio wasn't one em.

1. the whole post was pointless

2. Illmatic didn't sell at first for whatever reason, but not having songs on the radio wasn't one em.

I assure you that the reason Illmatic didn't go gold is because it didn't have any radio friendly singles, nor did it have any club bangers..

Furthermore, the label, Steve Stoute and everybody at Columbia made sure that It Was Written would be more "pop" so it would sell units.

Illmatic got 5 mics and won best lyricist at The Source Awards, so obviously he was talented. Rather than use the same producers, they got the Trackmasters to do the bulk of the production, which worked. It Was Written went double plat.

I assure you that the reason Illmatic didn't go gold is because it didn't have any radio friendly singles, nor did it have any club bangers..

Furthermore, the label, Steve Stoute and everybody at Columbia made sure that It Was Written would be more "pop" so it would sell units.

Illmatic got 5 mics and won best lyricist at The Source Awards, so obviously he was talented. Rather than use the same producers, they got the Trackmasters to do the bulk of the production, which worked. It Was Written went double plat.

Hip Hop is Dead went went plat w/ no club banger and it's 2 singles charting worse than the 4 from Illmatic.

You have 0 clue as to why Illmatic didn't sell.

Hip Hop is Dead went went plat w/ no club banger and it's 2 singles charting worse than the 4 from Illmatic.

You have 0 clue as to why Illmatic didn't sell.

Nas was already a superstar when Hip Hop is Dead dropped.

Try again.

Illmatic didn't sell because there was no song with a chick singing the hook.

Illmatic got 5 mics from The Source, but it didn't go gold.

It Was Written got 4 mics (I think) and went double plat.

Illmatic didn't really have any singles that radio stations could play.

It Was Written had If I Ruled The World & Street Dreams which are both radio friendly and sampled songs that people recognized.
you showin your age, we don't care about the Source round here.

Tracklist:

01 No Bad Energy [prod. Swizz Beatz]
02 Vernon Family [prod. Pharrell Williams]
03 Jarreau of Rap (Skatt Attack) [ft. Al Jarreau and Keyon Harrold, prod. Eddie Cole]
04 Lost Freestyle [prod. Statik Selektah]
05 Tanasia [prod. RZA]
06 Royalty [ft. RaVaughn, prod. Hit-Boy]
07 Who Are You [ft. David Ranier, prod. Eric Hudson]
08 Adult Film [ft. and prod. Swizz Beatz]
09 War Against Love [prod. DJ Dahi and DJ Khalil]
10 The Art of It [ft. J. Myers, prod. Pete Rock]
11 Highly Favored [prod. RZA]
12 Queens Woolf [prod. DJ Toomp]
13 It Never Ends [prod. The Alchemist]
14 You Mean the World to Me [prod. Kanye West]
15 Queens Bridge Politics [prod. Pete Rock]
16 Beautiful Life [ft. RaVaughn, prod. No I.D.]

The trailer features "Lost Freestyle" produced by Statik Selektah

The Lost Tapes 2 features unreleased tracks from the sessions for 2006’s Hip-Hop Is Dead, his 2008 untitled record, 2012’s Life Is Good, and last year’s NASIR.

Last edited:
Back