Welcome To aBlackWeb

Name Some Songs That You Vividly Remember Hearing For The First Time

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
  • Request Line By Rockmaster Scott & The Dynamic Three
  • Do The Right Thing By Lovebug Starski

Summer of 1984 I grew up in Massachusetts but my father's family is from New Jersey. Once or twice a year we'd drive down there to visit (usually for the 4th of July or Thanksgiving). I remember the New York radio stations were like 6 months ahead of the Boston radio stations. Anyway, I can remember Request Line and Do The Right Thing getting heavy rotation along with The Fat Boys and Whodini which I had already heard.

• Roxanne Roxanne - UTFO
We came down for Thanksgiving and chilled with the family. On Sunday we drove back up to Massachusetts and got the news that my Great Grandmother had died. So we drove back to New Jersey the following weekend and all my cousins were singing Roxanne Roxanne. And when it finally came on the radio everybody stopped what they were doing and bugged out. I was about 10 but my older cousins from New Jersey were teenagers (13-18).

• Eric B is President - Eric B & Rakim
  • Girls AIn't Nothin But Trouble - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

Summer of 1986. Same deal, we drove down to New Jersey for the 4th of July and Red Alert, Chuck Chillout and Mr Magic were playing Eric B is President and Girls Ain't Nothin But Trouble. Me and my brother had never heard either song before.

• Cause I Got It Like That - The Jungle Brothers
  • You Gots To Chill - EPMD

I was a freshen and I was hangin out with some upperclassmen who had driver's licenses. We were driving around listening to the college radio stations and they played Cause I Got It Like That and You Gots To Chill . And I recognized the samples from both songs.

Last one

• Beast From the East - Lost Boys feat Redman and Canibus
I was listening to the college radio station one day and Beast from the East came on. At the time me and my boys used to get together and freestyle. I thought I was pretty good. When Canibus's verse came on I remember staring at the radio. His verse was extra long and every punchline was like a dagger to my heart. I stopped rapping after that.

When I was in the 8th grade, 50 Cent was starting to blow up. His hype was incredible. At the time I was 13 and thought 50 cent was the best rapper ever. I remember telling my friends like wow he can rhyme anything.

At the time, I never really researched hip hop and even though all I heard was hip hop, I never really LISTENED to hip hop.

With that said, right around that time, my older brother started chilling with this older dude who smoked mad weed. He was a hip hop head though. When I told him 50 was the best, he put on Talib Kweli's song The Rush.

Now most will say the Rush isnt even Talibs best song, and yea thats right, its not. But put yourself in the mind state of a 13 year old who was so excited about what he was hearing from 50 and never really heard any real lyricism. And then I heard Talib for the first time.

"They come to me for the lyrical, spiritual, raw shit I spit at you
Original, and I see collective, not individual
Visual, on the mic I'm un-fuck-wit-able
Invincible, official nigga who they come to
For the hardcore, art of war, rhymes that I got in store"

Mind was blown. That was my real introduction to Hip Hop. After that I got online and did my research, went back and started listening to old school and underground hip hop.

Last edited:
"HUSTLER, BALLER, GANGSTA, CAP PEELER, WHO I BE, YA NEIGHBORHOOD DRUG DEALER"

I'll never forget the first time i heard "break em off something" by Master P feat UGK

I had no idea what a UGK was, but man, that beat, the lyrics...i became a no limit stan after that

Most of my early hiphop knowledge came from my Unc @703lexus . I remember hearing "life's a bitch" for the first time when i was around 9 or so. Damn near every classic album pre 98 i heard from him when i was kid.

Duckworth...by Kendrick Lamar....was on a date listening to it after the date....had to pull the whip over when the beat flipped

I remember hearing Canibus- 2nd Round k.o, me and my little brother was riding to this lake resort with a friend of my mom's. I was about 11 or 12 I guess, and I had never heard spitting like that before.

We wasn't really into music, parents would try to keep us from it or whatever. So it wasn't until years later as a fan of hiphop that I found out about the beef with LL

It seems funny now, but I think that's the first very vivid memory of me being amazed hearing a song for the first time.

Divine sounds - what people do for money.

I was 6 yrs old in 1984. My older brother played this non stop.

Coolio- fantastic voyage..

.i was visiting my cousin in NYC and it came on the Music Box (or whatever that channel was that played videos all day in the 90's) while we were chilling in the living room. Everyone kinda kept conversating like shit was normal. While i was starin at the TV as if i just discovered a chest full of gold. After that I was obsessed w rap music and yes coolio became my favorite rapper. Till this day I have never loved a rap song, or song in general as much as I loved "Gangsta's Paradise" that was the first song that I remembered every word to. I wrote that shit down and started rehearsing it. Before I knew it I started putting my own words in there n started writing my own shit. Hip hop can go through all the phases it can go thru. I will always love hip hop bc of these type of memories. Great thread idea

Back in 8th grade

Went to my homies crib to shoot hoops

We go in for a water break, MTV jams was on

then I seen this video

got hooked immediately, had to get moms to help me buy the album (since I was underage)

Til this day, the only time I've heard a song 1 time (for the 1st time) & had to buy it

In sping of ‘99 I was 12 years old & just then starting to get into real hardcore hip-hop. Hate Me Now was my introduction to Nas. The video to me was crazy as a 12 year old. Especially Nas with the cross. Luckily for me my big cousin was a huge Nas fan & was living with us. He copped I Am & I must of listened to that CD a million times that summer. After that I gradually got into Jay, Mobb Deep, Wu.. and the rest was history.

Heard this in the late eighties riding in my pop's backseat, probably 4 at the time, the hook and just listening to the music… man

This song here, was a little older and hadn't seen my pops in a while, he took me and my brother for ride and had this playing, whole album is flames but this song is the one that I got introduced to them

Make em say ugh. Master P and No limit

When I first hear I seen the video. I was staying in the 7th ward. I was super amped shit was so tight to me.

We on Fire. Hot Boys
I was living in the 9th ward and cash money epic run was crazy and the whole city was playing this song.

All Falls Down. K. West

I just thought this dude makes music that should be made. I was High school and played this song on every basketball tourney we had.

changes - tupac

me and my mom were sitting in the living room when it came on .

'Boom Shake the Room'... I was 6 or 7 and my brother was playing it in his room, it was the first hip hop song that I remember hearing, I walked in his room whilst he was playing it and was like...

tenor.gif

'Gangstas Paradise'.... When I was about 8 or 9, my friends Dad was playing it in his car on the way back from basketball practice, I was glued to it so I got my ma dukes to buy me the CD single after and I still have it to this day!!! haha

'Changes'... I was around 11 or 12 I guess, and my friends, mothers boyfriend was a DJ at the time so he used to give us tapes and CDs from time to time, anyways he gave my friend Pac's 'Changes' and we near enough played it none stop, we learned all the lyrics and rapped to it all night... We had it on repeat from early evening, to the night and fell asleep and it was still playing in the morning... Pac was the GOAT to me ever since, and I went out and bought it on CD with my pocket money the next weekend...

3 big moments in my hip hop digging timeline that I still remember clearly...

Last edited:
Most of my early hiphop knowledge came from my Unc @703lexus . I remember hearing "life's a bitch" for the first time when i was around 9 or so. Damn near every classic album pre 98 i heard from him when i was kid.
Hey gotta start out fam with the classics, same as I got. I got a healthy dose of LL, Too Short, Geto Boys and NWA @ the same that age.

Coolio- fantastic voyage..

.i was visiting my cousin in NYC and it came on the Music Box (or whatever that channel was that played videos all day in the 90's) while we were chilling in the living room. Everyone kinda kept conversating like shit was normal. While i was starin at the TV as if i just discovered a chest full of gold. After that I was obsessed w rap music and yes coolio became my favorite rapper. Till this day I have never loved a rap song, or song in general as much as I loved "Gangsta's Paradise" that was the first song that I remembered every word to. I wrote that shit down and started rehearsing it. Before I knew it I started putting my own words in there n started writing my own shit. Hip hop can go through all the phases it can go thru. I will always love hip hop bc of these type of memories. Great thread idea

Daum that story is mad similar to mine... I used to read all the lyrics and booklets to CDs like they were holy text haha

On the CD single of 'Gangstas Paradise' there was 'Fantastic Voyage' and 'Mamma Im in Love With a Gangsta' on there too, I was obssesed with the CD and used to play them all back to back...

Random thought, do people, especially kids still sit at their sound systems now and literally give their full attention to a song???

I guess kids dont really have sound systems in their rooms now do they??? As they listen to music on their devices or whatever and have their music just 'on' in the background...

I remember, no mobile phone, no proper internet just sitting at my bedside table staring at my CD/tape player playing music, recording it etc... I just dont think that really happen anymore as theres too much 'going on' for kids just to focus on one thing...

Last edited:
For me there are a whole lot. I was a lil kid in the 80s and spent some time overseas during that time so my music taste became pretty eclectic. Here are a few highlights, there are a whole lot more new wave i dont think most think people would be interested in.

- Top Billin - Audio Two
- Boyz in the Hood - Eazy E
- Shout - Tears for Fear
- one and one - 2 live crew
- Darlin Nikki - Prince
- Revolution - Dennis Brown
- Kanday - LL Cool j

Random thought, do people, especially kids still sit at their sound systems now and literally give their full attention to a song???

I guess kids dont really have sound systems in their rooms now do they??? As they listen to music on their devices or whatever and have their music just 'on' in the background...

I remember, no mobile phone, no proper internet just sitting at my bedside table staring at my CD/tape player playing music, recording it etc... I just dont think that really happen anymore as theres too music 'going on' for kids just to focus on one thing...

Unfortunately those days are gone. Now everyone's complete discographies are 2 clicks away, you can tweet them in 3 clicks, or their inner circle in 3 to 5. In fact all these youngins could probably research their favorite rappers whole life in 30 minutes or less (elementary myspace, middle school facebook, instagram high school and after). That would include most important life events and pics of every ex that may be mentioned in any line of their raps, no more mystery.

On a side note there isnt a real need for them to go over the liner notes like the 80s-00s. Most popular music now is just hooks and freestyle verses. there isnt a whole lot to figure out and decipher like when it was all about lyricism

Back