Welcome To aBlackWeb

Murderous Pig found guilty of murder of Laquan McDonald..

Did not expect a guilty verdict.

When they started counting the aggravated assault charges one by one up to 16 hope that mf felt every bullet he let off right there

Pussy ass pigs been on suicide ice cream watch for the last 30 hours....

giphy.gif

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/anita-alvarez-says-van-dyke-verdict-just/

Anita Alvarez: Guilty verdict for Jason Van Dyke in killing of Laquan Mcdonald is "just."

Anita Alvarez says Van Dyke guilty verdict is ‘just’

One of the most chilling chapters in Chicago’s history — the killing of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald — began with three main characters.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Former Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy.

Former Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez.

After the verdict Friday convicting Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke of the second-degree murder of McDonald four years ago, McCarthy and Emanuel released typically antiseptic statements peppered with emotional words including very little of what actually went down.

But in an exclusive interview with Sneed, Alvarez stated:

“I am happy with the verdict. It’s a just verdict. It took a long time coming. We started this investigation a day after we got the video [dashcam footage of the shooting of McDonald], and we received the video two weeks after it happened.”

Alvarez not only defended the way she handled the case from the get-go — which was to bring the U.S. attorney’s office and the FBI into the probe — but was hurt by comments made by McDonald’s great-uncle, the Rev. Marvin Hunter, who once claimed the first order of business was to get rid of Alvarez because he felt she was hiding the tape.

“It’s the furthest thing from the truth,” said Alvarez.

“I never hid any tape. What I did was immediately enlist federal prosecutors in the FBI to investigate this case.”

One of Alvarez’s former top prosecutors told Sneed: “In the grand political playbook of Chicago cover-ups, you are not going to find a chapter that instructs the person who wants to do the cover-up to involve the feds.”

“If you are trying to cover something up in Chicago politics, you do not bring in the feds as your first step,” he added. “So the fact that there are people out there like the uncle who actually believes that is sad and frustrating, because nothing can be further from the truth.”

Alvarez also feels McCarthy did “everything he could to neutralize Van Dyke. He couldn’t fire him due to the union contract. I believe he did everything within his power to take him off the street. He did the maximum he could do.”

Does Alvarez regret not charging Van Dyke before she released the video?

“I don’t think I do. As a prosecutor you’re following the rules, right? You’re bound by the rules and one of the things these rules tell us is that we are not supposed to release evidence.

“So, I mean, I don’t think any prosecutor is quick to start releasing videos before an investigation is completed,” she said.

Sneed: Could you have acted sooner to charge Van Dyke?

Alvarez: “It was an active investigation and there was a lot being done, and I felt we were almost there. We took a lot of time to interview a lot of people, and I think it’s pretty clear that these cases are not easy cases to do, to try, and are not the easiest cases to charge. So this was a way to get the amount of time that was necessary to get everything in order.”

Sneed: So now that this happened, what do you think would be a fair amount of time for Van Dyke to serve in jail?

Alvarez: “I won’t even comment on that.”

Sneed: What about Rahm, though? He is an enigma to me in all of this. Do you know at what juncture he saw the tape?

Alvarez: “We don’t know. I didn’t talk to Rahm Emanuel about this investigation. I do not know when he saw it. These are questions I can’t answer. Before the case was even filed they voted for a settlement [for the McDonald family] at the City Council. They have the answers.”

D5715623-D9FB-42E9-A552-A6C9DD80F722.gif

Now we just have to see if he gets life in his sentencing.

Van Dyke ain't getting life. The absolute best folks could hope for is to have his 2nd degree murder sentence run consecutive with his assualt charge sentence. They more than likely going to run the 16 assault charges concurrently but they could still run the sentences for both charges consecutively.

Police union said don’t believe the video believe what we said. They pretty said that they shoot to kill because there is no law that says there is a limit on how many times the police can shoot someone so in their minds the 16 shots is irrelevant. And that is why Kaepernick kneels...

Police union said don’t believe the video believe what we said. They pretty said that they shoot to kill because there is no law that says there is a limit on how many times the police can shoot someone so in their minds the 16 shots is irrelevant. And that is why Kaepernick kneels...

Yeah he really showed his feelings on that video.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/09/us/laquan-mcdonald-chicago-police.html

An Officer Is Guilty of Murder. On Trial Next: A Police ‘Code of Silence’

CHICAGO — Somewhere in an Illinois jail, Jason Van Dyke, a white Chicago police officer, is waiting to learn how long he will spend in prison for killing Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. But even after the officer’s second-degree murder conviction last week, this city is still waiting for other verdicts.

Widespread outrage over Laquan’s death was never just about the 16 bullets Officer Van Dyke fired into him that night. The protests, political upheaval and promises of reform were also motivated by a yearlong effort to keep a video of the shooting out of public view and by what many people saw as a top-to-bottom cover-up.

Three other Chicago police officers — David March, Joseph Walsh and Thomas Gaffney — never fired a shot the night of Laquan’s death, but they stand charged with lying about the shooting and conspiring to keep Officer Van Dyke out of trouble. Their cases are seen as a rare and crucial test of a so-called code of silence that is often said to fester within police departments.

“This has been the routine of the Chicago Police Department,” said William Calloway, an activist who pressed for the release of the McDonald video in 2015 as city officials resisted. “We have to make an example of these officers.”

On Oct. 20, 2014, the night Laquan died, Officer Gaffney and several other officers had trailed the teenager for blocks. Those officers requested the help of a colleague with a Taser and followed Laquan from a distance, even as he popped the tire of a police cruiser with a three-inch pocketknife he was carrying and slashed at the vehicle’s windshield. Laquan was walking away from the officers when Officer Van Dyke arrived and started shooting. The gunshots continued as Laquan crumpled onto the ground.

Almost immediately after the gunfire stopped, prosecutors say, a cover-up began.

“As part of the conspiracy,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing unsealed last week, officers “failed to report or correct false information in official police reports” and “concealed the true facts of the events surrounding the killing of Laquan McDonald.”

At the scene, the officers failed to interview people who witnessed the shooting, the prosecutors said. Later that night, the officers huddled at the police station and then gave dubious accounts of the shooting that were nearly identical. A story emerged, contradicted by video, of Laquan trying to stab three officers and then trying to get up from the ground after being pummeled by bullets.

Days later, a sergeant assigned to the case sent an email defending Officer Van Dyke and criticizing those who questioned his actions. He said the “offender chose his fate” and that it was “possibly suicide by police.”

“Officer did exactly what he was trained to do,” the unnamed sergeant, who is not charged with a crime, wrote in an email released by prosecutors. “We should be applauding him, not second-guessing him.”

Nine other officers were at the scene when Officer Van Dyke shot Laquan, and police officials moved to fire seven officers who gave questionable accounts of the shooting. Grand jurors declined to indict other officers.

In 2014, Laquan’s death attracted little attention, even as police shootings in cities such as Ferguson, Mo., and Milwaukee led to large protests. In Chicago, Mayor Rahm Emanuel was elected to a second term and the City Council agreed to pay a $5 million settlement to Laquan’s family even before a lawsuit was filed. But as months passed, word spread of a damning dashboard camera video that was being withheld by city officials, who cited an ongoing criminal investigation for their secrecy.

Thirteen months after the shooting, a judge ordered that the video be made public, and hours before it was released in November 2015, Officer Van Dyke was charged with murder.

In the weeks that followed, protesters marched repeatedly through the city chanting “16 shots and a cover-up!” The police superintendent was fired. Rules for when officers can shoot were tightened. Mr. Emanuel, who resisted calls to quit but recently decided not to seek another term, acknowledged a “code of silence” among officers.

That phrase came up again when Patricia Brown Holmes, a special prosecutor, announced conspiracy, official misconduct and obstruction of justice charges last year against Officers Gaffney, March and Walsh. Mr. March, the detective who investigated the shooting, and Mr. Walsh, Officer Van Dyke’s partner that night, resigned from the Police Department while under investigation.

“These defendants lied about what occurred during a police-involved shooting in order to prevent independent criminal investigators from learning the truth,” Ms. Brown Holmes said at the time. “The indictment makes clear that it is unacceptable to obey an unofficial code of silence.”

Police union leaders have defended the three officers and suggested that their prosecution was politically motivated. The men have pleaded not guilty and will have their case decided by a judge, not a jury, in a trial scheduled to start Nov. 26. A court order prevents lawyers involved in the case from speaking publicly about the charges in detail.

“These charges are, in our minds, baseless. Our officers are being made the scapegoats,” said Kevin Graham, the police union president, after the charges were announced. “How the special prosecutor can construe a ‘code of silence’ theory defies belief.”

But to some who have protested Laquan’s death for years, the pending charges are seen as an indictment of the code of silence itself, an unwritten policy that they say has long undermined relations between police officers and Chicagoans.

“They are just as guilty as Jason Van Dyke, if not worse,” said the Rev. Ira Acree, a West Side minister and an outspoken critic of the Police Department. “Because they wanted to cover up a crime and they took an oath to protect and serve.”

Back