Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

BRUISED

.............But not broken

PRAISE : Halle Berry not only makes some impressive displays here and there in her feature film directorial debut but i was very impressed by her physical changes and the rigorous workout routines in the film and off screen. The story : Jackie Justice, a disgraced MMA fighter who has failed at the one thing she's ever been good at - fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons.
Also quite impressive are Danny Boyd Jr Jackie's 6-year-old son, Manny.The 6 year old is laser focused and then some,so young and so unflinching i was amazed.
Sheila Atim, who plays Jackie's trainer, Buddhakan turns in a tough as nails but soft around the edges performance.Adriane Lenox as Angel McQueen Jackie's mom also impressive she definitely gave me flash backs of women i knew from the neighborhood.
Always great to see the talents of Stephen McKinley Henderson,and Shamier Anderson.
The story definitely hits the right emotional chords at times .It's gritty and edgy as we go from underground fights to the more glitzier but still brutal MMA fighting rings.The fight sequences are intense and rousing and if DC comics is looking to cast Giganta one day look no further than Amanda Nunes !!

PROBLEMS : One thread in the story is ultra predictable 30 minutes into the film. Some of the fight sequences could have been a bit tighter because i could actually see some of the pulled punches. Definitely some cliched turns in the story.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

King Richard

Kingly performance ! !

PRAISE: Will Smith gives a wonderful and strong performance as Richard Williams a father determined to write his two daughters, Venus and Serena, into history.
I'm so glad that this is a warts and all biopic.
Richard wasn't a saint but he is a loving and nurturing father. He wanted more for his children and nothing was going to get in his way. Not gangs,working long nights,racism or butting heads with various tennis coaches and I thought the film brought out the aforementioned beautifully. The supporting cast including :
Aunjanue Ellis, Jon Bernthal, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton, Tony Goldwyn, Mikayla Lashae Bartholomew, Daniele Lawson, and Layla Crawford
are all top notch. I was very moved by some stand out scenes. Some are humorous some are heavily dramatic but the fact is the film actually made me feel something. I love when performances leap off the screen. There were some things I had forgotten and never knew about the game of tennis and thankfully the film gave nice lessons and helped me to recall.
Sure Richard's ego got in the way sometimes and it got to him the way he may be looked at by the public and the media but in the end it all came from wanting more and love and the two are not bad things at all.

PROBLEMS: NONE

Scale of 1 to 10 a 10+

BRUISED

.............But not broken

PRAISE : Halle Berry not only makes some impressive displays here and there in her feature film directorial debut but i was very impressed by her physical changes and the rigorous workout routines in the film and off screen. The story : Jackie Justice, a disgraced MMA fighter who has failed at the one thing she's ever been good at - fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons.
Also quite impressive are Danny Boyd Jr Jackie's 6-year-old son, Manny.The 6 year old is laser focused and then some,so young and so unflinching i was amazed.
Sheila Atim, who plays Jackie's trainer, Buddhakan turns in a tough as nails but soft around the edges performance.Adriane Lenox as Angel McQueen Jackie's mom also impressive she definitely gave me flash backs of women i knew from the neighborhood.
Always great to see the talents of Stephen McKinley Henderson,and Shamier Anderson.
The story definitely hits the right emotional chords at times .It's gritty and edgy as we go from underground fights to the more glitzier but still brutal MMA fighting rings.The fight sequences are intense and rousing and if DC comics is looking to cast Giganta one day look no further than Amanda Nunes !!

PROBLEMS : One thread in the story is ultra predictable 30 minutes into the film. Some of the fight sequences could have been a bit tighter because i could actually see some of the pulled punches. Definitely some cliched turns in the story.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½
I surprisingly liked this movie. I would give it a 7. It did move me and my favorite part is when he spoke! The film put Halle in a whole new acting light for me. While she has played a role fighting...this seemed less "feminine" and way more gritty for her.

Venom : Let there be Carnage

I admit i did laugh a few times and i thought the CGI was pretty good but i was shocked to see so much stalled acting from Tom Hardy · Woody Harrelson · Michelle Williams and Naomie Harris.I like seeing Williams in comedic roles at times but i know she likely was forced to come back because of her contract with SONY. By the time the movie was in the middle of it's last act i was longing for it to be over.Im glad i watched this at home i will never see another Venom film in the theater.I see these movies as modern day Jekyl & Hyde comedies.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 2½

The Last Duel

Always 2 sides to a story....sometimes 3

PRAISE: Based on the true story of France's last trial by combat in the Middle Ages,this story about Jean de Carrouges is a respected knight known for his bravery and skill on the battlefield. Jacques Le Gris is a squire whose intelligence and eloquence makes him one of the most admired nobles in court. Gris is soon accused of raping Carrouges wife Marguerite
This story written by Nicole Holofcener, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon
was very involving.The actors really give there all Damon is great as Carrouges .Adam Driver as Gris can likely do period pieces like this in his sleep by now.
I loved Comer in Killing Eve but I felt like this was her best role to date.
Ben Affleck provides some humorous moments as the hedonistic Count Pierre d'Alençon.
I enjoyed how the triangle of the 3 main characters reminded me of King Arthur ,Queen Guinevere and Sir Lancelot.
I liked how this film made me question every characters move and motivation.
Did all of what occurred come from disgrace,humiliation, loss of position and honor? Or was it truly for the sexual assault of a married woman?
There's definitely a strong Me Too thread in this film as the actions,thoughts and thinking of Marguerite are questioned and it's a scary fact that some people still have the same dismissive thinking about rape some of the characters in this film have. While I enjoyed the intensity of the action sequences some are definitely not for the faint of heart.

PROBLEMS: The film definitely stalls at times. Some scenes are a bit drawn out and repetitive

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

The Real Charlie Chaplin

Core of Chaplin

Praise : One of the things I love about documentaries like this is actually hearing the voice and feelings of the person it's about.
But it's also great to hear from people that actually knew the person.
The documentary covers Chaplins humble beginnings and rise to fame.
Why his films appealed to the masses and how he drew people in.
No punches are pulled as his doubts, dark side and dark times in his life are explored.
There are great reenactments of portions of his life.
How his strong,passionate and heartfelt political views and hopes for the world lead to being persecuted by the FBI and the press.
I really enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes views of his creations, and the home movies of his family life.

Problems: None

Scale of 1 to 10 a 10+

PASSING

Not simply Black & White

PRAISE : Im a fan of both of the lead actresses Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga in this film about
1920s New York City, and a black woman finds her world up-ended when her life becomes intertwined with a former childhood friend who's passing as white.
The film has it's moments that sting with the casual outright racism of the era and i thought everyone did well in their roles including André Holland, Bill Camp, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Antoinette Crowe-Legacy, and Alexander Skarsgård. I was stunned by Clare Kendry character wanting to bury who she was even at the cost of losing all self respect,and at the same time longing to be a part of the African American community.
The film is beautifully shot and first time director Rebecca Hall captures the atmosphere of the time.

PROBLEMS : Far to dwelling. I would have preffered a character expressing their feelings and what was actually disturbing them ,instead of them gazing and looking off into space.
I felt the film didnt go as deep as it could have gone and started thinking a documentary would have been far better about the subject matter.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

SWAN SONG

Me but not ME

PRAISE : Mahershala Ali is outstanding as Cameron in this ULTRA involving film about a loving husband and father who is diagnosed with a terminal illness, he's presented with a controversial alternative solution to shield his family from his loss - replace himself with a carbon copy clone.
Ali deserves an Oscar for taking on this duel role and bringing a believable,heart wrenching and intense performance to the table. He is surrounded by a great supporting cast including :
Naomie Harris as Poppy, Awkwafina as Kate and Glenn Close as Dr. Jo Scott.
The core story is riveting and heartfelt as you not only see a person dealing with their own mortality,but seeing why he has a tough decision to make as the people in his life express their own feelings about loss ,life and depression. The other great things about this film is how wonderfully creative and inventive it is and the cinemaphotography is off the charts stunning. I really have to go to British Columbia one day !!
There was a path this film could have taken and it slightly steps on to that path but im so glad they didnt.There's also some dark humor around the edges that i liked.
Some parts of the film i found to be extremely emotionally triggering.

PROBLEMS: NONE

Scale of 1 to 10 a 10+

One of the best movies of the year.

SPIDER-MAN : No Way Home

SPIDER-MAN's Endgame !!!!

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

PRAISE: Even with all of the spoilers and rumors that have been floating around for months SMNWH still managed to AMAZE me.
I've got to give up to the cast including: Tom Holland · Zendaya · Benedict Cumberbatch · Jacob Batalon · Jon Favreau · Jamie Foxx · Willem Dafoe · Alfred Molina. Marisa Tomei , Thomas Haden Church , & J.K Simmons

Tom Holland has truly made the role of SPIDER-MAN and Peter Parker his own.
He gives an emotional, intense and heartfelt performance.
The interactions between the characters is absolutely terrific. Great nods to the multiverse of old and what's to come.
Part of what I said about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse can be said about this movie If you were a huge fan of the previous SPIDER-MAN films ...even a minor fan this is a must see. Sure there's a lot of fan service but what director Jon Watts and writers Erik Sommers, & Chris McKenna put up on the big screen is so thrilling I didn't mind it at all.
The film hit my emotional chords several times. The action sequences are sharp and thrilling.
The parallels of the multiverse and destiny and how things in the multiverse MUST play out was wonderfully stated in some great character moments. Even some emotional redemption was tied in.
In the films last 30 minutes it felt like I was getting closure to certain things.
It's just so well done and the film didn't even feel like 2 hours and 28 minutes because I would say for 90 percent of the movie it made the best of its run time.
This was like one of the best comic books that i ever had the pleasure of reading come to life !!
In fact I felt like Oliver Twist saying please can I have a little more....pretty please?
I can't wait to see what they come up with for the next one.

PROBLEMS: Some minor, obnoxious and lame moments that I could have done without.There is some short changing and odd U turning of characters that felt off

Scale of 1 to 10 a 9

Don't look Up

Extinction Level Event Imminent......WHO CARES !!

PRAISE : DLU is part satire,part spoof of movies like Armageddon and Deep Impact, and holds up a mirror to politics in America over the past few years.
The cast is mainly great. Leonardo Dicaprio and Jennifer Lawrence portray 2 astronomers trying to warn the world of impending doom from a comet.
It was fun to see actors who mainly take on dramatic roles like Meryl Streep and Dicaprio take on something more humorous. They get great support from: Scott Mescudi, Ariana Grande, Ron Perlman, Timothee Chalamet, Tyler Perry, Jonah Hill, Rob Morgan, Cate Blanchett, and Melanie Lynskey
Perry and Blanchett(almost unrecognizable)were very funny together
Lawrence easily slips into her role with all of her signature attitude. Dicaprio stands out as a guy who has sudden fame that leads to misteps and frustrations that completely boil over.
There's some stinging political humor,and the film also points out how people are easily distracted by the latest celebrity or political scandal so much so things of vital importance are forgotten.
I was kind of shocked most of this movie worked for me and how many laughs I got out of it.

PROBLEMS : There were a couple of characters that were supposed to be funny because of their quirks but everytime they appeared on screen I found them to be annoying.
I definitely started to feel the films length around the almost 2 hour mark and it could have been trimmed a bit .

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

The Matrix Ressurections

Deja Vu All Over Again

PRAISE : It was fun to be immersed in the world of the Matrix Again. This time the story revolves around Mr. Anderson, aka Neo, will have to choose to follow the white rabbit once more. If he's learned anything, it's that choice, while an illusion, is still the only way out of -- or into -- the Matrix.
It was also fun to see "some" of the old cast again including Keanu Reeves as Neo and Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity.
I was also impressed with Jada Pinkett Smith's altered role as Nobe
The new cast members Jessica Henwick as Bugs,Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Morpheus,Priyanka Chopra Jonas as the grown-up version of Sati,and Erendira Ibarra as Lexy
thankfully attack their roles with great enthusiasm.
I was glad that most of the questions I had were answered and fortunately the questions by certain characters were answered too.I also got a couple of things I would have liked to have seen in The Matrix Revolutions.
The great question of free will runs through out the film.I appreciated the new things they tried and some of the changes in the Matrix world.
The SFX and cinematography are nearly flawless and it was especially great when watching it in HDR.

PROBLEMS: There is a lack of originality in the script. Even a laziness in the writing when I felt like I was watching a refresher course of the first 3 Matrix films.They hold off on the convlusion until almost the end and when they got into it i kept putting my head down
wishing it would end.So funny how one character who started off cool became obnoxious at the end .
If they make another Matrix film I have a bad feeling that it may be lost in the land of repetitiveness. There was an added SFX in some of the fight scenes that was annoying.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Just finished watching Another Round on Hulu. It won Best International Feature Film at the Oscar's this past year I believe. It's about a group of teachers who conduct an experiment where they teach under the influence of alcohol and they actually improve in being able to get through to the kids. Just a group of dudes going through their midlife crises. It stars Mads Mikkelsen. Pretty good film

Oh yea, it's a Danish film so you have to follow the film with subtitles

Last edited:
This fucking movie here...

hereditary_ver2_xlg.jpg

9.5/10
Yeah that shit was crazy!! My daughter still brings this movie up any time we’re talking about best scary movies.

Back