Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

These 2 samurai movies were pretty good on Netflix

Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning
View attachment 604462
Love story with a ton of violence

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final
View attachment 604463
Was an ok sequel. It was more sappy than the first one though
You have the order wrong. There were 3 movies before those two. "The final" is the forth installment. "The beginning" is the last installment but really a prequel since it talks about his early life. The anime is good as well.

You have the order wrong. There were 3 movies before those two. "The final" is the forth installment. "The beginning" is the last installment but really a prequel since it talks about his early life. The anime is good as well.
Those 2 were the only ones I saw on Netflix. Guess I'll have to google the others and the anime

Retro Review

Sling Blade

What a great immersive and dedicated performance from Billy Bob Thornton as the mentally disabled Karl Childers.
Having spent most of his life in a mental hospital after murdering his mother and her lover. He soon forms a bond with Frank (Lucas Black), a boy whose father committed suicide. When Frank's mother, Linda (Natalie Canerday)
Aside from the aforementioned great supporting cast additional greatness comes from Dwight Yoakam (as the ultimate asshole,
J. T. Walsh,John Ritter ann an unbilled Robert Duvall.
So much of this film reminded me of my time in the south from the laid back personalities and long winding country roads.
One of the best films of 1996.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 10+
One of my most favorite movies!

"I like dem french fried pataters mmmhmm"

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Another marvelous Marvel Movie

Years ago I found some Master of Kung Fu comics and I thought Shang Chi was a pretty cool character as he took on Doctor Doom and an assortment of other sinister Marvel characters.
Now he gets the big screen treatment in this story about Shang-Chi confronting the past he thought he left behind when he's drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
I thought the entire cast including : Simu Liu ,Awkwafina,Meng'er Zhang,Fala Chen, Florian Munteanu
Benedict Wong,Michelle Yeoh,Ben Kingsley and Tony Leung did a great job.
Shang and Xu Wenwu have the most estranged father and son relationship since Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. This gives the film some great dramatic weight.
One scene with Awkwafina was supposed to be suspenseful but I actually found it funny because of the sounds and visuals attached to it,which wasn't a minus but a plus for me.
I was much more receptive of an MCU created character I found extremely lame before.
I actually thought The Abomination looked more like Ch'od from the Star Jammers.

I loved what the film had to say about loss and how it can alter multiple destinies.How obsession can lead to one's downfall and You don't have to run away from who you are, and just because you embrace it that doesn't mean people can guilt or manipulate you into doing something wrong.
There are some terrific action sequences that even when they are not laced with a ton of SFX are thrilling.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is as much a celebration of Asian culture as Black Panther was of Black culture.

PROBLEMS: The film stalls a bit once it reaches it's last 40 minutes.Some story threads were a bit clichéd. Some of the SFX was a bit choppy at times.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Guess I'll finally say this

If a movie/show has a dedicated thread, post your reviews in that thread. The movie/TV threads are for more obscure shows/movies that don't have their own threads. A few people are posting specific threads reviews in these threads spoiling things for people who haven't seen those shows/movies because they are avoiding those threads until they can see the movie/show.

After this post, your posts will be deleted as a 1st warning, you will be banned for a day from this forum as a 2nd warning, and if you still feeling bold, the locks will be changed on the door if you do it a 3rd time

Guess I'll finally say this

If a movie/show has a dedicated thread, post your reviews in that thread. The movie/TV threads are for more obscure shows/movies that don't have their own threads. A few people are posting specific threads reviews in these threads spoiling things for people who haven't seen those shows/movies because they are avoiding those threads until they can see the movie/show.

After this post, your posts will be deleted as a 1st warning, you will be banned for a day from this forum as a 2nd warning, and if you still feeling bold, the locks will be changed on the door if you do it a 3rd time
I've been copying them to their original thread (including yours about Unhinged lol). Neo does a good job of doing it here and the thread of the particular film

I've been copying them to their original thread (including yours about Unhinged lol). Neo does a good job of doing it here and the thread of the particular film
oh shit...my fault...i swear i didnt see a tread on unhinged but at the same time, the movie was so shitty, i didnt think it deserved a thread of its own LMAO

we might need to come up with something to curb this. Not every single show/movie needs a thread but at the same time, it feels like this is just starting to be a thing where it looks like we have threads for every single thing either out or coming out

oh shit...my fault...i swear i didnt see a tread on unhinged but at the same time, the movie was so shitty, i didnt think it deserved a thread of its own LMAO

we might need to come up with something to curb this. Not every single show/movie needs a thread but at the same time, it feels like this is just starting to be a thing where it looks like we have threads for every single thing either out or coming out
I agree. We have film or show threads where even the threadstarter doesn't give a shit about the show and its somewhere on the 95th page lol

I just seen a movie no country for old men. It was rly good. Its part 2 ?

\ any movie simliiar to this?

Last edited:
Old - 4/5

Dare I say this shit was good? I thought the ending was good and was waiting for it to end like most of his movies on some dumb shit.

I might watch this again frfr.

FREE GUY

FREE FALLING ASLEEP

PRAISE: This story about a non-player character in an open-world video game at times offered a nice mix of multiple stories I've watched over the years about part digital, part real world fantasies and adventures. The always game Ryan Reynolds is on point with his usual flair playing characters like this. There's some cool SFX and if you know something about video games and played them over the years like myself you can definitely relate to what happens in this movie.Some of the jokes worked for me.

PROBLEMS: I got bored about 45 minutes in.Once I figured out the big mystery of the film I found myself being distracted because none of the story threads pulled me in completely. Far to many obnoxious characters and whenever these characters spoke my ears literally began to hurt. Some movies are just not for me. This movie is for people that are into gaming 8 to 24 hours a day,and teenagers. The way things were summed up were clichéd and predictable.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4½

The Many Saints of Newark

Sopranos Lite

PRAISE : After watching 6 seasons of the great The Sopranos series on HBO this epilogue to the series has its moments.
It was great to watch some of the situations that were merely mentioned in the series play out in this film.
The cast including: Alessandro Nivola, Leslie Odom Jr., Jon Bernthal, Corey Stoll, Ray Liotta do a good job for the most part. The standouts are Ray Liotta and Vera Farmiga
Michael Gandolfini son of the late great James Gandolfini does pretty well he actually made me feel sympathy for the young Tony Soprano in his portrayal. You have this kid who really has no one to turn to for guidance except for one person that reaches out but is also involved in sinister things but because he's the person in your corner you still look up to him. I thought this played out well in the film.Some nice nods to the series.

PROBLEMS:One story thread was so forced I kept saying is this going somewhere? I laughed at the "bonus" part of it and said so what? There's a hollow feel to some of the film.Some character portrayals felt like odd impersonations of actors from the series.
At times certain scenes felt like extended flashbacks never hitting the right notes the writers and Director were hoping to hit.
I have to agree with others that have said this may have worked better as a 4 to 6 part series.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Back