Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Orphan First Kill

Mini Murderer

PRAISE: 2009's Orphan was middle of the Summer fun it wasn't great but it had its moments.
13 years later a sequel....uhmm I mean prequel about Esther traveling to America by impersonating the missing daughter of a wealthy family. Yet, an unexpected twist arises that pits her against a mother who will protect her family at any cost
Oh what a TWIST it was an it did make me give this film an extra point because it was fun and added to the campiness that the film indulges in. Isabelle Fuhrman is still fun to watch as little Esther causing mayhem, being manic committing murder and dressing like Nellie from Little House on the Prarie. Julia Stiles was pretty good to,taking what's given to her and doing it all with a straight face. I got a lot of laughs out of this. The movie even pokes fun at itself winking at the camera and saying did you see and catch that?

PROBLEMS: So many....to many times this film says please abandon all logic and reason while watching this. Parts of this film is just a silly mess that makes no sense with ultra convenient moments for slip ups coupled with far to many clueless situations and characters.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Samaritan

Semi Super Stallone

PRAISE: This story about Thirteen-year-old Sam Cleary suspecting that his mysterious and reclusive neighbor, Mr. Smith, is actually a legend hiding in plain sight takes bits and pieces from other superhero films like The Dark Knight Rises and Steel. The best parts of the film are the bonding moments between Sylvester Stallone as Joe Smith and Javon "Wanna" Walton as Sam Cleary. The movie opens nicely though giving a nice foundation summary to work with. There are some good one liners and action sequences and I did enjoy the twist in the movie.

PROBLEMS: This movie was filled with generic,cookie cutter villains and bullies.The writers paint themselves into corners several times with how characters don't question things until after the fact. I couldn't fully get on board with what the villains goal was even though a weapon he used looked cool but uhmmm aren't things bleak enough for you to accomplish your goal without doing as much as you did? But I guess his villain superfan mindset overwhelmed his logic and reason.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5½

Me Time

Not a terrible time

PRAISE: I laughed and was entertained far more than I expected to watching this movie about a stay-at-home dad enjoying his first me-time in years by reconnecting with an old friend for a wild weekend that may upend his life.
Kevin Hart as Sonny Fisher and Mark Wahlberg as Huck Dembo have great chemistry as each play off each other's strengths in scenes that are absolutely hilarious blending sight gags and toilet humor. The film is a blend of Hall Pass and Mr. Mom and even manages to fit in some life lessons about only hearing yourself and not making assumptions about people. The supporting cast was very good including: Regina Hall · Tahj Mowry. Kabir · Jimmy O. Yang · Carlo Rota. Alberto . Andrew Santino .Luis Gerardo Méndez,Anna Maria Horsford and John Amos. The film has the vibe of one of Adam Sandlers better comedies.

PROBLEMS: There is a been there done that feel to some of the movie. Some of the story threads were very predictable and there were moments that I have seen in over a dozen buddy comedies I've watched over the years. Every gag doesn't work as well as the writers thought they would.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

sometimes these extended versions of movies are not worth it Watching those cut scenes from Spider Man: No Way Home glad i wasnt duped into going to the theatre even if it was 3 bucks on Saturday

End of the Road

ROAD TO RAGE

PRAISE : Ok the cast is fully on board for this dramedy(?) about A recently widowed Brenda, driving her family cross-country to start a new life. In the New Mexico desert they run into all types of trouble.
As unbelievable as it was it was fun watching Queen Latifah take on a bunch of bad guys by herself. It's so crazy how she decided to become an action star so late in her career.
I was amused by all of the cliched racists, gang members,thieves and villains scattered about in the movie.
I did laugh at some of the one liners .The gore in the film caught me off guard but it was a nice touch.

PROBLEMS: This flick is ultra and I mean ULTRA predictable. Filled with incompetent characters that make bad choices. The villains need a couple of lessons from No Country for Old Men's crazy villain Anton Chigurh. The main problem in this flick could have been resolved at the 38 minute mark but like I said incompetence !!
Good grief this movies cheesy moments were as bad as the green screen effects.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Saw this last week. It was a pretty good flick IMO
i-came-by-netflix-review.jpg

Barbarian

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

Airbnb's are not for me !!

PRAISE: My biggest problem with staying at Airbnbs is the fact that I don't know who else aside from the owner has access to the Home/APT. Now in this horror film the renters have a whole other problem in this story about various characters renting a place that definitely has something sinister about it.
One of the things that made me enjoy this movie is where the characters find themselves and their sixth sense is telling them not to do certain things but worry, anger, and need come in to play and overpowers all logic and reason.
There are some creepy moments and jump scares .
Director Zach Creggers previous work as a TV actor shines through and is fleshed out in the character Justin Long portrays(really believable in this role) Bill Skarsgard and Georgina Campbell do a great job in their roles also.
Creggers did a great job of putting me in the shoes of the characters especially in a standout scene in the second act of the movie. I liked how the film slowly but surely revealed why the film has its title.

PROBLEMS: There's some basicness to some of the plot and it's definitely repetitive at times. Some steps made by the characters are questionable. There are a couple of plot holes. Some scenes felt like they were borrowed from horror films that were released earlier this year.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

The Woman King

Winning Women

PRAISE: I wasn't going to see this film for multiple reasons, especially after listening to a couple of podcasts and doing my own research and thinking that the facts about the Agojie and Dahomey were completely removed from the film. Well that thinking was partially wrong and I'm glad I went to see the film for myself. The facts are not merely touched on but mentioned often plus I'm glad the film displays that most likely not all fell in line with the actions and thinking of the majority when it came to trading captives from rival tribes to slave traders.

As for the movie itself it's pretty good. The story ofViola Davis as a general who trains the next generation of warriors to fight their enemies is a strong one. It's mainly the performances that give it a very strong foundation. Davis and the rest of the cast including: ; Thuso Mbedu ,Lashana Lynch ,Sheila Atim,John Boyega,and Jayme Lawson turn in strong and believable performances. The action sequences are thrilling and intense,even the training sequences were great. The film does offer some celebrations of African culture which I loved.There is a twist in the film that shouldn't work but it worked for me.

PROBLEMS: The film definitely backs away from some facts and turns some around I'm guessing to make it more palatable for some.This is Hollywood and they have likely done this a million times by now.
I didn't completely get on board with parts of the subplot.The story goes down a couple of predictable paths.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

I encourage all to do their own research about what happened between the Dahomey and the Kingdom of Oyo

PEARL

SEXY PSYCHO

This movie is a great character study and Mia Goth takes the ball and runs with it. It's a crazy combination of
The Wizard of Oz and if Dorothy and Olive Oyl were completely insane. Oh and that annoying loud mouth Red
Riding Hood chic from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.
The horror is funny and disturbing at the same time. There is some dryness that is present around the edges of this prequel to X

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

A Jazzman's Blues

Semi Soulful Symphony

PRAISE: Director and writer Tyler Perry
returns to Netflix with a story about forbidden love and family drama unravels 40 years of secrets and lies in the deep south.
Perry is able to capture a lot of the rhythm and climate of the deep south of the late 1940's with not only the music, racism, but also the downward paths some musicians took during that time.
There are several strong performances from the cast that includes : Joshua Boone as Bayou · Amirah Vann as Hattie Mae · Solea Pfeiffer as Leanne · Austin Scott as Willie Earl and Ryan Eggold as Ira. The star crossed lovers theme worked for the most part. Really great choreography from Debbie Allen is prominently featured in the film.Be warned there is language and visuals that can be very triggering for some.

PROBLEMS:Perry frustratingly avoids where he could have made this film more effective. The film is very predictable. I figured out the twist 45 minutes in. There are also a couple of plot holes and even with the films 2 hour and 8 minute run time the climax of the film felt rushed and abrupt.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

Blonde

Marilyn's Misery

Praise : The legendary actress Marilyn Monroes life plays out in sometimes stunning and beautiful scenes in the movie Blonde. Based on a book with the same title which is mainly fiction the film gets some things right. Ana De Armas performance is very good. She completely immerses herself in the role and gets Marilyn's mannerisms down to a capital T. I think Director Andrew Dominik captures what traumatized and troubled Monroe during her life. How she tried to escape it and it's done in stunning ways with creative visuals and he puts sharp aspect ratio to good use. I think he captured her almost quiet time in her life in her marriage to Arthur Miller perfectly. Praise to Adrien Brody for his portrayal of Miller.

PROBLEMS: I think the film stretches things to make the film difficult to watch ,exploit Monroe further, and to say at almost every turn in life she was used,objectified and forced to do things.
Almost completely forgotten or purposely ignored is Marilyn's determination to be taken more seriously and the steps she took to do so.Some scenes are laughable. Some are just degrading and hard to watch. This film is supposed to be about the "meaning" of Marilyn Monroe but this definitely doesn't do her justice and I didn't see the meaning they claim to have captured There have been TV movies made about her that did a far better job.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5½

Last Seen Alive

Now that's devotion

PRAISE : This quick action romp about a guy's estranged wife who goes missing after stopping at a gas station borrows a tiny bit from the movies The Vanishing and Breakdown
Gerard Butler and Jaimie Alexander are definitely the reasons i gave this flick a chance and the action and what Butler goes through kept me entertained. Even when the film meanders a biti wanted to see what came next and what exactly happened to the wife. A host of bad guys keep popping up and it was great to watch Butler take them on.

PROBLEMS : The attempt to throw the viewer off at the beginning of the film was kind of weak. Some portions of the film were kind of repetitive.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Don't Worry Darling

WORRY !!

PRAISE : Carey Van Dyke; Shane Van Dyke and Katie Silbermans story about a couple named Alice and Jack living a seemingly perfect life in a place called Victory but something sinister may lie beneath it all actually works at its start. I enjoy watching films and TV shows about cults and brainwashing so that part of the film appealed to me.Familiar themes are used but Director Olivia Wilde and the aforementioned writers put a different spin on them that actually lead to a few ominous and suspenseful moments. I always enjoy watching Florence Pugh on the big and small screen. Chris Pine does well as the "Ring Leader" of Victory.

PROBLEMS: The first scenes and 7 minutes of the film start to put predictable nails in the film. The movie mainly felt like the writers took ideas from a few older movies and tried to hide it with WEAK visuals and entrancing the audience with a vibe that never really works because I still felt like well I've been there and done that. Even if they had changed some visuals this would have worked better and I'm shocked No one working on this movie didnt see any of this?!?
If the film had more detail and not jumped right into plot holes more of this film could have worked. So I mainly sat there watching something extremely meandering and repetitive just to see where they made changes to old stories. The Writers decided to take the lazy route.This is the ultimate YOU fill in the blanks movie

Scale of 1 to 10 a 3

EMILY THE CRIMINAL

This movie about Emily (Aubrey Plaza) who is saddled with student debt and locked out of the job market due to a minor criminal record. Desperate for income, she takes a shady gig was highly entertaining. It actually reminded me of my late teens when job searching lead me to small office rooms in which people tried to convince me to sell vacuum cleaners. I love Plaza and she does a great job here. There's some predictable moments and i did have to suspend disbelief a couple of times but the suspenseful moments worked for me and it was an enjoyable watch.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

FALL

What this movie lacks in SFX and green screen work is made up for with harrowing and suspenseful moments that are done to a finely tuned up T. The movie is about Becky (Grace Caroline Currey) and Hunter (Virginia Gardner) rock climbers who take on climbing a remote, abandoned radio tower. The ladies are cute and the action is involving and dizzying. This film is definitely not for those who have a phobia of heights. There was a predictable turn but definitely a turn i didnt see coming. A fun romp !!

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

EMILY THE CRIMINAL

This movie about Emily (Aubrey Plaza) who is saddled with student debt and locked out of the job market due to a minor criminal record. Desperate for income, she takes a shady gig was highly entertaining. It actually reminded me of my late teens when job searching lead me to small office rooms in which people tried to convince me to sell vacuum cleaners. I love Plaza and she does a great job here. There's some predictable moments and i did have to suspend disbelief a couple of times but the suspenseful moments worked for me and it was an enjoyable watch.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

FALL

What this movie lacks in SFX and green screen work is made up for with harrowing and suspenseful moments that are done to a finely tuned up T. The movie is about Becky (Grace Caroline Currey) and Hunter (Virginia Gardner) rock climbers who take on climbing a remote, abandoned radio tower. The ladies are cute and the action is involving and dizzying. This film is definitely not for those who have a phobia of heights. There was a predictable turn but definitely a turn i didnt see coming. A fun romp !!

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½
Aubrey Plaza is having a moment…..

Halloween Ends

Please let it End

PRAISE: Four years after her last encounter with masked killer Michael Myers, Laurie Strode is living with her granddaughter and trying to finish her memoir. But of course the nightmare of her life begins again
The story opens pretty well and I got a few laughs and a surprise out of it. Jamie Curtis does a good job and is always capable and then some in these flicks . There are a couple of good payoffs and kills.One really stood out and it was the most dwelling one in the movie with the exception of the last 15 minutes which were pretty good.

PROBLEMS: With an R rating this really felt watered down and I'm not just talking about the kills but with the Michael Myers character too.
Kills happen offscreen and the aftermath was shown. I felt cheated because there were moments I was looking forward to but they were all summed up in about 2 minutes. I didn't feel the connections between a few characters and felt one was made to try to have some filler turmoil. Just forced moments that lead nowhere. All of this build up of Myers over the years and they tacked on something so odd that was so unintentionally funny and a major head scratcher.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Black Adam

Man in Black

PRAISE: The popular character created in 1945 is finally on the big screen portrayed by Dwayne The Rock Johnson. This was super hyped up at DC Fandome and I definitely bought into the hype. Johnson does a great job as BA. He definitely has the presence and charisma to pull it off. His co stars Pierce Brosnan as Dr.Fate and Aldis Hodge as Hawkman are given the most to do aside from Sarah Shahi and the kid who portrays her son Bodhi Sabongui.
The writers did their homework on the character and I appreciate that.
Most of the blends of violence and humor worked for me. There's a Terminator 2 Judgment Day vibe to some of the movie which I didn't mind.
Most of the SFX and action sequences are pretty good. The whole anti hero thing was played up well.
The ending of the movie opens up a lot of opportunities for future DC films.

PROBLEMS: Some setups in the story were questionable. I felt a couple of characters were added just to try to connect the other DC films from the past few years. The villain was lackluster with predictable turns around his edges.
While a couple of characters looked cool,I felt they were just there to look cute : Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone,and provide comic relief : Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher.
The placement of popular songs during some action sequences felt jarring.
There's some emotional weight in the movie but not enough backstory lead to me not feeling much for what happened.
Some parts were extremely repetitive.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Back