Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

1645863158212.png

I didn't catch on the Minions mania until very much later

Been watching this almost on a daily basis recently cos of my kids... My eldest started on it then the youngest caught on ... We repeat the lines in the movie together

Them yellow niggas hilarious ... And very efficient

The King's Man

King's Beginning

PRAISE: This prequel to The Kingsman films is a pretty good grab bag bag of action and altered history.
It's well acted by the entire cast including: Djimon Hounsou · Ralph Fiennes · Shaun McKee · Peter York · Matthew Goode · Charles Dance · Alexandra Maria Lara and Alexander Shaw.
What surprised me most was the dramatic turns in the movie. I was expecting it to go down such an emotional path. I really enjoyed what they did with several of the action sequences. Most of the Word War I sequences were pretty gripping.
I have always been fascinated by Rasputin and his connection to The Tsar Nicholas II. So this was a nice bonus for me. It's best to watch this film in HDR instead of HFR.

PROBLEMS: I watched half of this movie in a high frame rate in which the fight sequences looked animated and stalled .
Some story paths were ultra predictable.
Some scenes are extremely silly and over the top.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Licorice Pizza

Ahh to be young and in love

PRAISE : Set in the early 1970s this love story has all of the ups and downs of a is you is or is you ain't my baby relationship. Alana Haim as Alana and Cooper Hoffman as Gary (son of the late great Phillip Seymour Hoffman) are not only great in the film but have great chemistry.
I loved the dynamic between them and watching every phase of their relationship. Alana's family dynamic explained a lot about her and at times was hilarious. Gary is extremely mature and determined as a 15 year old who knows how to hustle once one door closes in his life,which is part of 25 year old Alana's attraction to him.
I know some people had a problem with the age difference saying if the roles were reversed this movie would have never been made. But there is absolutely NO grooming or predatory behavior in this movie. Rather its a great love story about seeing someone for who they are : sincere,genuine and caring and why you can't let them go.
They are supported by fellow cast members: Bradley Cooper as a manic and intense Jon Peter's . Sean Penn as a William Holden like actor plus Tom Waits and Benny Safdie.
Director/Writer Paul Thomas Anderson truly captures the atmosphere of the 70s from radio to film production and the crisis from that era.

PROBLEMS: Some scenes were to dwelling and some went absolutely nowhere and just felt like filler.There's a very cringey stereotypical scene.

Scale of 1 to 10 8½

The Batman

A new knight rises

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

PRAISE: Director/writer Matt Reeves and writer Peter Craig take this Batman film close to the perfect level of 2008's The Dark Knight.
With a moody, noir and modern atmosphere Reeves weaves threads of loss,revenge, and vengeance.
Robert Pattinson is great as Bruce Wayne/ Batman as he wears sympathy on his sleeve there is also a coldness to him all while pushing full steam ahead in his crusade for justice. Andy Serkis was good as the ever doting Alfred still hopeful for Bruce.
There is a bit of an uneasiness to the "partnership" between Jim Gordon ( Jeffrey Wright) and Batman. Pattinson and Wright are the perfect dynamic duo.
The rest of the Gotham P.D still chafes at Batmans presence for the most part.
Paul Dano is perfect as the deadly,clever psychopath The Riddler.
I could tell Reeves stepped back and said ok man do your thing.
Zoe Kravitz is stunning and turns in a stunning performance as Selina Kyle/Catwoman . She also wears her emotions on her sleeve. She and The Bat don't see eye to eye at times but the actors have great chemistry.
I kept looking for Colin Farrell as The Penguin beyond the great make up job but this guy takes role immersion to another level.The voice, the mannerisms...amazing!!
I also must applaud John Turturro and Peter Sarsgaard for their roles in the movie.
The action sequences are great combined with a thunderous score by Michael Giacchino.
Secrets and revelations are plentiful which I loved....all giving the film dramatic weight and then some.There was definitely a Se7ven and Zodiac vibe throughout the movie.
There are some nice nods to Batman shows and films from the past.

PROBLEMS: It was odd how one obvious answer to a riddle plagued a few of the characters for at least half of the movie.
A couple of story threads were predictable.One predictable thread in the story really stood out because it was so unusually sinister for a certain character.
I started to feel the films almost 3 hour length when final act started being pieced together.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Deep Water

Deep question: WHY ?!?

When the trailer for this movie dropped and the main characters questioned each other about the secret of why they were staying together, I had hoped she would turn put to be a day walker vampire and he was a werewolf but this movie is about A well-to-do husband who allows his wife to have affairs in order to avoid a divorce becoming a prime suspect in the disappearance of her lovers.
In life I've questioned why some couples stay together, why bother starting a family when it's obvious all respect or even liking each other has vanished.
Which brings us to the odd relationship of Vic Van Allen (Ben Affleck) and his wife Melinda (Ana de Armas)
At first with the flirtations in the movie I said ok they're both doing their own thing. I get it....But that was not the case.
The movie is shot well and Armas is a very beautiful woman with a great figure. I thought the couples daughter Trixie (Grace Jenkins),was very charming as she displayed how observant she was.
The actors in the film come to life here and there. The mind games were entertaining. There are some great unintentional laughs from beginning to end.

PROBLEMS : Director Adrian Lyne used to be a master at making erotic thrillers : 9½Weeks, Fatal Attraction, Unfaithful.
This would have worked if there wasn't a huge one sided factor to the relationship. There was no logic or solid foundation to start from. I just kept asking why throughout the entire movie. I questioned what was going on with the daughter in the movie and why she was being told certain things.
Where did this sudden abrupt care about what a character was doing come from?
Even drawing my own conclusions about what was going on with the couple and making peace with it in the end I still said to myself WTF ?!?

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4

Deep Water

When the trailer for this movie dropped and the main characters questioned each other about the secret of why they were staying together, I had hoped she would turn put to be a day walker vampire and he was a werewolf but this movie is about A well-to-do husband who allows his wife to have affairs in order to avoid a divorce becoming a prime suspect in the disappearance of her lovers.
In life I've questioned why some couples stay together, why bother starting a family when it's obvious all respect or even liking each other has vanished.
Which brings us to the odd relationship of Vic Van Allen (Ben Affleck) and his wife Melinda (Ana de Armas)
At first with the flirtations in the movie I said ok they're both doing their own thing. I get it....But that was not the case.
The movie is shot well and Armas is a very beautiful woman with a great figure. I thought the couples daughter Trixie (Grace Jenkins),was very charming as she displayed how observant she was.
The actors in the film come to life here and there. The mind games were entertaining. There are some great unintentional laughs from beginning to end.

PROBLEMS : Director Adrian Lyne used to be a master at making erotic thrillers : 9½Weeks, Fatal Attraction, Unfaithful.
This would have worked if there wasn't a huge one sided factor to the relationship. There was no logic or solid foundation to start from. I just kept asking why throughout the entire movie. I questioned what was going on with the daughter in the movie and why she was being told certain things.
Even drawing my own conclusions about what was going on with the couple and making peace with it in the end I still said to myself WTF ?!?

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4
Just watched this. Ben character was a simp/cuck. Looked like his wife just wanted to feel wanted by Ben but he was emotionally unavailable.

Last edited:
Deep Water

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4

Saw it last night

It was ironically a hilarious movie especially Affleck's performance as a jealous murderer... Especially when he's threatening the 'other' men ...

I liked the look of the film too especially the family house... That vintage architecture

But as a story? The film don't add up ... Realistically that scenario isn't workable but overall the movie was good entertainment

3/5

Retro Review The Adventures of Ford Fairlane

PRAISE: I think Andrew Dice Clay is one of the best comedians of all time. I remember buying his stand up CD
when he performed at Madison Square Garden .I recall playing it over and over again.
I also remember him getting choked up on Arsenio Hall the night before this movie hit theatres.... i still dont know if he was joking.
The one liners,salty talk,sight gags and Sheila E and Lauren Holly were at the height of their SEXY super powers.
The host of other characters and actors in the movie were great including : Wayne Newton · Priscilla Presley · Morris Day · Maddie Corman · Gilbert Gottfried , Pamela Fiona Adlon and David Patrick Kelly.
I still quote lines from this movie to this day !!!!!
Im very happy that Clay has become quite the dramatic actor : Blue Jasmine and A Star is Born are highlights
and yeah i watched this 6 times in the theatre a true guilty pleasure.

PROBLEMS : Some of the jokes crash and burn big time,the script is definitely creaky at times.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

AMBULANCE

When Gofundme isn't considered

PRAISE: Director Michael Bay stacks the decks with his usual craziness in this movie about a vet needing money to cover his wife's medical bills, he teams up with his adoptive brother to steal $32 million from a Los Angeles bank. However, when their getaway goes spectacularly wrong
I actually enjoyed how ridiculous this movie becomes at times.
I did enjoy Jake Gyllenhaals manic performance. I wonder if he watched a couple of Nicolas Cage performances before taking on this role.
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II was basically the straight man to his craziness but at times he joins him on his off kilter and manic path
Eiza González does ok as an EMT worker.
Some of the rapid fire banter was funny.
There are several good action sequences.
I did like how the movie pokes fun at itself several times.

PROBLEMS: A major flaw in the movie is the incompetence of the cops and thieves. Part of the plot is a big time head scratcher. The movie definitely forgets what it's foundation is for awhile but has a couple of brief laughable moments that say : hey here's a little reminder of what started part of this mayhem. The aforementioned laughable moments are coupled with how weak it comes off.Why one character with a beyond sinister record was walking around scott free was beyond me.
The endless car chase could have been stopped several times. This goes back to the incompetence of the cops and eventually the FBI. The ending was so drawn out.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

@Inori
@AP2.5
@Maywood
@Black_Samson
@Duwop
@Blackish
@toheeb27
@shutupGabi
@Sony Montana
@Revolver Ocelot
@Iceberg_Taylor
@rip.dilla
@DMorgan

Nigga what?!?

That must be the most shocking spoiler I've ever witnessed in my years as a movie buff...

@Inori
@AP2.5
@Maywood
@Black_Samson
@Duwop
@Blackish
@toheeb27
@shutupGabi
@Sony Montana
@Revolver Ocelot
@Iceberg_Taylor
@rip.dilla
@DMorgan
Yeah she sued the wachoskis

@Inori
@AP2.5
@Maywood
@Black_Samson
@Duwop
@Blackish
@toheeb27
@shutupGabi
@Sony Montana
@Revolver Ocelot
@Iceberg_Taylor
@rip.dilla