Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
The Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad

Seriously Silly and Satisfying Squad

For 87 years DC comics has created some iconic and minor league characters.
I enjoyed reading about the aforementioned characters in Who's Who in the DC Universe over the years.
The story for The Suicide Squad this time around The Squad goes to the enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese. Armed with high-tech weapons, they trek through the dangerous jungle on a search-and-destroy mission
The ads and Director James Gunn weren't lying when they stated dont get too attached to the characters.
These characters are wonderfully brought to life with some good acting and voice work by :
Margot Robbie,Idris Elba,John Cena,Joel Kinnaman,Sylvester Stallone,Viola Davis,Peter Capaldi,David Dastmalchian,Daniela Melchior and Dee Bradley Baker.

It's amazing that out of every insane,off the wall ,ultra violent thing that happens in the film the script actually translates into something comprehensive.
I loved being caught off guard by this movie.Character interactions and their conversations go completely in a direction that is absolutely funny.
Great blend of stylishly fun moments and ultra violent ones.
Oh and the violence is very dwelling so it's not for the faint of heart.
I wonder if Gunn is a fan of Garth Ennis and John McCrea and their late great Hitman comic because so much of this movie reminded me of it.

PROBLEMS: I hoped for a bit more character development. I feel like the film started to become predictable in its last 25 minutes. It goes down basic paths I've seen in dozens of action films.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

loud-ninja

Dec 27, 2017
ABW Bucks
$139,191
These 2 samurai movies were pretty good on Netflix

Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning
View attachment 604462
Love story with a ton of violence

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final
View attachment 604463
Was an ok sequel. It was more sappy than the first one though
You have the order wrong. There were 3 movies before those two. "The final" is the forth installment. "The beginning" is the last installment but really a prequel since it talks about his early life. The anime is good as well.

Dec 20, 2017
ABW Bucks
$35,645,131
You have the order wrong. There were 3 movies before those two. "The final" is the forth installment. "The beginning" is the last installment but really a prequel since it talks about his early life. The anime is good as well.
Those 2 were the only ones I saw on Netflix. Guess I'll have to google the others and the anime

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
Retro Review

Sling Blade

What a great immersive and dedicated performance from Billy Bob Thornton as the mentally disabled Karl Childers.
Having spent most of his life in a mental hospital after murdering his mother and her lover. He soon forms a bond with Frank (Lucas Black), a boy whose father committed suicide. When Frank's mother, Linda (Natalie Canerday)
Aside from the aforementioned great supporting cast additional greatness comes from Dwight Yoakam (as the ultimate asshole,
J. T. Walsh,John Ritter ann an unbilled Robert Duvall.
So much of this film reminded me of my time in the south from the laid back personalities and long winding country roads.
One of the best films of 1996.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 10+

• Goat
Reactions: Scandalust313

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
BECKET

From one nightmare to the next

This movie about an American tourist vacationing in Greece who becomes the target of a manhunt after an accident, and must reach the embassy to clear his name
brought back memories of other person on the run films with endless hurdles thrown in their paths.
BECKET has a slow pace at the beginning eventually hits some exciting moments and develops questions I wanted answers to thus making the film more involving.
John David Washington has moments of displaying great intensity and raw emotion.
I loved what Director Ferdinando Cito Filomarino did visually with a particularly harrowing scene.

PROBLEMS: The film eventually goes back to its slow pace with predictable turns added,especially when a certain actor shows up I knew exactly what was going to happen.
One scene was so badly acted by everyone involved it actually sounded like they were rehearsing the scene instead of filming it for the films final cut.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Scandalust313

Unshakeable Unbreakable Victorious
2020 ABW Rookie of the Year
Sep 27, 2020
ABW Bucks
$137,585,508
Retro Review

Sling Blade

What a great immersive and dedicated performance from Billy Bob Thornton as the mentally disabled Karl Childers.
Having spent most of his life in a mental hospital after murdering his mother and her lover. He soon forms a bond with Frank (Lucas Black), a boy whose father committed suicide. When Frank's mother, Linda (Natalie Canerday)
Aside from the aforementioned great supporting cast additional greatness comes from Dwight Yoakam (as the ultimate asshole,
J. T. Walsh,John Ritter ann an unbilled Robert Duvall.
So much of this film reminded me of my time in the south from the laid back personalities and long winding country roads.
One of the best films of 1996.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 10+
One of my most favorite movies!

"I like dem french fried pataters mmmhmm"

Reactions: neo2090 and AP2.0

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
SNAKE EYES

Snake eyes definition: the worst possible result; a complete lack of success.

PRAISE: The movie Snake Eyes is not as bad as the above definition. I thought it had some pretty good moments in its story about An ancient Japanese clan called the Arashikage welcoming tenacious loner Snake Eyes after he saves the life of their heir apparent. Upon arrival in Japan, the Arashikage teach him the ways of the ninja warrior while also providing him something he's been longing for: a home.

Part of the cast really give it their all including Henry Golding,Andrew Koji,Haruka Abe and Peter Mensah I thought the chemistry between Henry E Golding and Haruka Abe was off the charts !!
Most of the action sequences were very well choreographed. I know people were complaining about the shaky camera fighting but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was in the Tyler Perry Alex Cross movie.I liked the use of mysticism in the movie.

PROBLEMS : The actress Samara Weaving who portrays Scarlett in the movie is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL in this.She delivered her lines as if she just finished 3 back to back shifts at McDonald's. The actress Úrsula Corberó who portrays the Baroness fairs a bit better and I do mean a bit.She looked great in those stilettos though.
There are several inconsistencies in the script. The villain was lackluster. They try to connect the G.I Joe and Cobra dots but it didn't really work for me.
After reading and watching everything G.I Joe for many years this felt like a watered down version of the character Snake Eyes.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
The Green Knight

Beautiful but bewilderingly ponderous

PRAISE : Based on the timeless Arthurian legend The Green Knight is definitely and art house fantasy film IMO.King Arthur's headstrong nephew embarks on a daring quest to confront the Green Knight, a mysterious giant who appears at Camelot.

This film was chosen by the Director David Lowery and Actors because they wanted to test their abilities, stretch their abilities to see if they could conquer the material and in this case it's fine because for the most part it works. I admired all of the actors dedication to the script and physicality needed including : Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander
(I thought she looked absolutely stunning especially with her Princess Leia/ Padme like hair do's) Joel Edgerton ,Sarita Choudhury ,Sean Harris and Ralph Ineson
Even when I found myself drifting from the film there's either a cute,seductive,surreal, or beautiful moment that reeled me back in.
The sets and visuals are mesmerizing and I admire the hard work of the people behind it and the cinemaphotographer.

PROBLEMS: I couldn't get on board with how some scenes played out. Some scenes are to drawn out.One in particular was a huge look at ME moment for the actors and the director. It went on so long I laughed out loud because i felt all of the aforementioned were just showing off.10 to 20 minutes definitely could have been cut from the film.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
THE PROTÉGÉ

BEAUTY. BLOOD. & REVENGE...the latter....well sort of

PRAISE: In this story about Anna the world's most skilled contract killer. However, when her second father/mentor Moody is brutally killed, she vows revenge for the man who taught her everything she knows. Theres a lot of fast fun to be had with this flick.
The entire cast looks like they are having a good time including : Michael Keaton,Maggie Q, andSamuel L. Jackson
Q does pretty good. Watching her fit body move around was like watching a ballerina.
Keaton has been conquering cold,calculating and cruel since 1990's Pacific Heights.
The story moves fast and there are some good kills.The movie provides a lot of bloody shocks and most of them really work to great effect.
There's some good one liners and banter.

PROBLEMS: The major problem is that one plot twist washes away most of the motivation of the plot.That was a real head scratcher. Some of the threads in the story were been there done that basic.
The outcome of one scene was funny but not very believable.
I asked myself... the set up for one particular scene isn't going to be this simple...right? But it was to a T !!

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

AP2.0

If this is indeed the end I wanna TY 4 the journey
Site Administrator
2020 ABW Most Abusive Mod
Jan 18, 2017
ABW Bucks
$383,011,622
Yo unhinged was fucking awful

Was Crowe wearing a body suit? Got damn that nigga fat

• Ether
  • Haha
Reactions: Rubato and Inori

neo2090

Nov 24, 2019
ABW Bucks
$71,953
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Another marvelous Marvel Movie

Years ago I found some Master of Kung Fu comics and I thought Shang Chi was a pretty cool character as he took on Doctor Doom and an assortment of other sinister Marvel characters.
Now he gets the big screen treatment in this story about Shang-Chi confronting the past he thought he left behind when he's drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
I thought the entire cast including : Simu Liu ,Awkwafina,Meng'er Zhang,Fala Chen, Florian Munteanu
Benedict Wong,Michelle Yeoh,Ben Kingsley and Tony Leung did a great job.
Shang and Xu Wenwu have the most estranged father and son relationship since Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. This gives the film some great dramatic weight.
One scene with Awkwafina was supposed to be suspenseful but I actually found it funny because of the sounds and visuals attached to it,which wasn't a minus but a plus for me.
I was much more receptive of an MCU created character I found extremely lame before.
I actually thought The Abomination looked more like Ch'od from the Star Jammers.

I loved what the film had to say about loss and how it can alter multiple destinies.How obsession can lead to one's downfall and You don't have to run away from who you are, and just because you embrace it that doesn't mean people can guilt or manipulate you into doing something wrong.
There are some terrific action sequences that even when they are not laced with a ton of SFX are thrilling.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is as much a celebration of Asian culture as Black Panther was of Black culture.

PROBLEMS: The film stalls a bit once it reaches it's last 40 minutes.Some story threads were a bit clichéd. Some of the SFX was a bit choppy at times.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

AP2.0

Site Administrator
Jan 18, 2017
ABW Bucks
$383,011,622
Guess I'll finally say this

If a movie/show has a dedicated thread, post your reviews in that thread. The movie/TV threads are for more obscure shows/movies that don't have their own threads. A few people are posting specific threads reviews in these threads spoiling things for people who haven't seen those shows/movies because they are avoiding those threads until they can see the movie/show.

After this post, your posts will be deleted as a 1st warning, you will be banned for a day from this forum as a 2nd warning, and if you still feeling bold, the locks will be changed on the door if you do it a 3rd time

Reactions: TheNightKing

Infamous114

Dade County
Mod Squad
2020 ABW Mod of the Year
Aug 27, 2017
Miami, FL
ABW Bucks
$26,999,432
Guess I'll finally say this

If a movie/show has a dedicated thread, post your reviews in that thread. The movie/TV threads are for more obscure shows/movies that don't have their own threads. A few people are posting specific threads reviews in these threads spoiling things for people who haven't seen those shows/movies because they are avoiding those threads until they can see the movie/show.

After this post, your posts will be deleted as a 1st warning, you will be banned for a day from this forum as a 2nd warning, and if you still feeling bold, the locks will be changed on the door if you do it a 3rd time
I've been copying them to their original thread (including yours about Unhinged lol). Neo does a good job of doing it here and the thread of the particular film

AP2.0

Site Administrator
Jan 18, 2017
ABW Bucks
$383,011,622
I've been copying them to their original thread (including yours about Unhinged lol). Neo does a good job of doing it here and the thread of the particular film
oh shit...my fault...i swear i didnt see a tread on unhinged but at the same time, the movie was so shitty, i didnt think it deserved a thread of its own LMAO

we might need to come up with something to curb this. Not every single show/movie needs a thread but at the same time, it feels like this is just starting to be a thing where it looks like we have threads for every single thing either out or coming out

Infamous114

Dade County
Mod Squad
2020 ABW Mod of the Year
Aug 27, 2017
Miami, FL
ABW Bucks
$26,999,432
oh shit...my fault...i swear i didnt see a tread on unhinged but at the same time, the movie was so shitty, i didnt think it deserved a thread of its own LMAO

we might need to come up with something to curb this. Not every single show/movie needs a thread but at the same time, it feels like this is just starting to be a thing where it looks like we have threads for every single thing either out or coming out
I agree. We have film or show threads where even the threadstarter doesn't give a shit about the show and its somewhere on the 95th page lol

Reactions: AP2.0

AP2.0

Site Administrator
Jan 18, 2017
ABW Bucks
$383,011,622
I agree. We have film or show threads where even the threadstarter doesn't give a shit about the show and its somewhere on the 95th page lol
any ideas?

Don Dada

Jul 10, 2019
ABW Bucks
$1,622,531
I just seen a movie no country for old men. It was rly good. Its part 2 ?

\ any movie simliiar to this?

Last edited: