Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Holiday season means I'm catching up on shit I downloaded on my satellite box and via my Amazon stick

Ready Player One - All I'm gonna say is no one is better with CGI in Hollywood than Spielberg... That Nigga a don .. His shit too clean especially watching in HD.

*watching War Of The Worlds as I type this*

Adapted from a book it tells a tale of virtual (un)reality gaming and a reward for participating gamers by a billionaire IT mogul played by Mark Rylance... His third movie with Spielberg now

The scene with The Shining in it was just excellence . . 4/5

Cheap Thrills - Black comedy about a family man down on his luck financially and his old friend who enters into a sick twisted physical game scheme with a rich dude and his wife in a single day in LA..

I was LOL'ing all the way through at the absurd shit a man can be driven to do for money ... Movie highlighted poverty in a gruesome way.. Recommended

Wolyn ('Hatred' in English) - WWII drama about the genocidal attacks on the Polish by nationalist Ukrainians between 1943 - 45 based on alleged factual events... This atrocities were not given much publicity because more emphasis was placed on Nazis murdering Jews in that time all over Eastern Europe

Very horrific to watch. Decapitations and savagery even on children... War is fucking futile no matter the provocations

Cloud Atlas - caught this on Netflix...

Multilayered tale on existentialism and time and the connectivity of the universe... Starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and Susan Sarandon alongside an English cast

Directed by the Wachowski Bros.. this film flopped and was critically not successful with reviews but I thought it is a sleeper... GOAT editing especially and cinematography... Also the improvisation of actors here playing multiple roles was quite obvious but bears into the story...

For effort and scale... 4/5

Caught Ready Player One recently on Sky Cinema and I thought it would be too steeped and obsessed in geek and pop culture to be enjoyable, but I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I need to stop doubting Spielberg (I did the same with Bridge of Spies) - the guy is a legend. Good to see Birmingham turn up in a big budget film as well.

Got Cloud Atlas on DVD and still haven't watched it yet. I've been warned with how long and divisive it is - it's the Wachowskis so I'm assuming it's going to be bat shit crazy and the best way to approach it is to drop all expectations and go with the flow.

Saw War of The Worlds was on BBC last night. I couldn't be arsed with staying up to watch it.

Last edited:
Films that I've got through over the past week:

Leave No Trace
Ready Player One
Avengers: Infinity War
A Quiet Place
Bird Box
Blackkklansman
I, Daniel Blake
Yardie

I can't be bothered breaking them all down, but yeah, all worth watching. Some surprising me, some being far too real, some just outright entertaining. 2018 has been a really good year for films

Last edited:
41VuSyjrxzL._SY445_.jpg

No joke fell sleep in first 5mins. Tried again today and was bored as fuck after 20mins. Im cool on it.
?/5

LOL at ?/5. Seriously though, Roma felt more like an experience than anything else. Great film, though I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it.

Films that I've got through over the past week:

Leave No Trace
Ready Player One
Avengers: Infinity War
A Quiet Place
Bird Box
Blackkklansman
I, Daniel Blake
Yardie

I can't be bothered breaking them all down, but yeah, all worth watching. Some surprising me, some being far too real, some just outright entertaining. 2018 has been a really good year for films

I need to catch on KKKlansman and Yardie... The former is available to rent... The latter is on DVD already

And yes I also saw War Of The Worlds on BBC as well...

I just watched American Dream/American Nightmare the suge knight documentary he made before he got locked up recently. Shit was pretty dope getting Suge's side of the story. Its on Hulu/Showtime if you got those or just stream the shit.

Besides that I havent really checked too many movies lately. My computers down so i dont have any access to stream sites and rely on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. Watched "Blockers" recently. Shit was decent, had a few hilarious spots but overall 3.5/5. Worth the watch if your struggling to find something and just want to see something stupid funny.

Also checked out the Jim Carrey show "Kidding" on Showtime and "I'm Dying Up Here". Check those out.

Just finished intermittently over a month today Homecoming on Amazon...

I really didn't know what to make of it... Another yarn on military vets and PTSD and them confined to a cuckoo facility in Florida(?) I liked the feel of it and the actors did theirs... Stephan James is a decent actor... He's featured in If Beale Street Could Talk

Julia Roberts stepped out of her comfort zone of rom coms into a darker theme... She produced as well

Overall 3/5

I also just watched The Equalizer and John Wick for the first time this passed weekend. Ashamed to admit. Both dope fucking movies. Gotta get the sequels ASAP.

Yea complete dog shit. Tried watching it three times fell asleep every time, gave up trying to watch.
I just saw its on Amazon Prime and ive been telling myself i have to give it one more shot just to see if i can try figuring out why everyone was so proud of it as when i saw it i was blazed off my ass and that can sometimes ruin a movie for me. I just remember being in theaters and it was such a slooooow burn that i could barely handle it. Then the way it ended was just like "what in the holiest of fucks was that bullshit?!" Scariest part was the mom cutting her own head off but folks in the theater were laughing when that shit happened.

Back