Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Abigail

Bloody Fun

PRAISE : The Writers of Abigail: Stephen Shields and Guy Busick must be huge fans of the film The Usual Suspects because the vibe of that movie definitely wraps itself around so much of this one. The story about a group of kidnappers who take a young ballerina hostage but get far far more than they bargained for is a fun blood soaked ride. I liked how the characters were set up and fleshed out as the movie moves forward. The late Angus Cloud as Dean was amusing to watch as he makes assumptions with antics some so funny I laughed out loud a few times. Then you have leader Frank (Dan Stevens), medical expert Joey (Melissa Barrera), computer whiz Sammy (Kathryn Newton), ex-military operative Rickles (William Catlett), dense-but-strong Peter (Kevin Durand).As Abigail Alisha Weir's performance comes to life in the second half as more is revealed about her character and she lets loose on the kidnappers. The cast seems to be having a good time as some familiar horror tropes play out but I thought they were really well used in certain frightening and gory scenes. I liked that they took something from legendary horror and made it their own.I enjoyed how the infused child neglect and abandonment around the edges of the movie. The music is also well placed in certain scenes. This is horror with a big sense of humor and I thought the blend really worked in a good portion of the scenes.

PROBLEMS: I thought the who will survive the carnage was to spelled out. I was definitely hoping for more originality when it came to the climax. Aside from one surprise I sat there saying we'll I mainly know how this is going to go because so much was said about a characters familial connection I knew exactly how it was going to end.

RIP ANGUS CLOUD

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

Ministry Mission

PRAISE: There's a lot of fun to be had in this story about a top-secret combat unit, composed of a motley crew of rogues and mavericks,who go on a daring mission against the Nazis. Making Nazis who are far to chatty with their threats a memory is a thread in the film but it's the cast that definitely boost up any slow moments in the movie. Henry Cavill does a great job as team leader Gus March-Phillips there is a great running gag attached to his character and he may have a zany tongue out expression while taking out Nazis but he also has a serious side.Included in this wild bunch are Geoffrey Appleyard (Alex Pettyfer); his current protégé, Henry Hayes (Hero Fiennes Tiffin); arrow shooting strong man Anders Lassen (Alan Ritchson); and explosives expert Freddy Alvarez (Henry Golding) , Marjorie Stewart beautiful ,capable and unflinching(Eiza Gonzalez) and Frederich Heron (Babs Olusanmokun) cool,calm and collected. Sure there are a lot of humorous moments in the movie but the film definitely displays how brutal and ultra racists the Nazis were. Director Guy Ritchie pulls back on some of his usual flare and methods which was fine by me.
I'm glad he included all of the "little" problems that come with carrying out a secret mission which was definitely leaned into in the films finale. I can tell Ritchie and writers S Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson & Arah Amel wanted to tell a more straightforward story but with some added fiction doing so honors the real Ministry called Special Operations Executive (SOE), also known as Churchill's Secret Army.

PROBLEMS: I would have liked to have seen more close calls coupled with suspense it definitely felt like the movie pulled back on the aforementioned and how things could have played out in a more sinister way for a particular character. There are a few predictable moments.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver

Rebels with some cause

PRAISE : Picking up where the last movie left off this second part has a bit more going for it as characters are more fleshed out due to their back stories being told. I liked that the movie attempts to be more dramatic and trying to get the audience more attached to the characters as they evolve and try to be more than just wallowing in misery and regret.I've always said Director Zack Snyder can direct the he'll out of an action sequence and he does so here on a grand scale. I praise everyone who was involved in the CGI and SFX.

PROBLEMS: It's beyond obvious where the movie was edited and I find it obnoxious that the unedited version won't be released until August. I never found myself fully engaged or involved. There's a lackluster feel to parts of the movie.
Some characters are still sidelined until needed for some purpose. I do wonder if Snyders " true vision" releases will add anything to improve this or A Child of Fire.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Back