Welcome To aBlackWeb

Morehouse College, a Traditionally Black All-Male School, Says It Will Accept Transgender “Men”..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/us/morehouse-college-transgender.html

Morehouse College, an all-male, historically black school in Atlanta, said it would open its enrollment to transgender men, a shift that comes as protections for those in the transgender community are under fire.

The school’s gender identity policy, which was announced on Saturday, will continue to ban from enrollment anyone who identifies as a woman.

David A. Thomas, the president of the college, said the decision was driven by a greater awareness of gender identity and the college’s need to have a clear policy.

“We found that when our admission representatives were going out, oftentimes people would ask them, ‘Does Morehouse admit transgender people?’” he said on Sunday.

The new policy states that “once admitted, students are expected to continue to self-identify as men throughout their matriculation.”

Morehouse is not the first all-male institution in the country to change its policy to allow transgender men. In 2016, St. John’s University, an all-male school in Collegeville, Minn., changed its policy to consider “applicants who consistently live and identify as men, regardless of the gender assigned to them at birth.”

The new policy at Morehouse, which has 2,200 students, comes as the transgender community faces a breakdown of protections under federal civil rights law. The Obama administration helped to broaden these protections through a series of decisions that loosened the legal concept of gender in federal programs.

The Trump administration, however, is trying to define gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth. This definition would affect 1.4 million Americans who identify as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth.

Morehouse announced its new policy a day after the United States military implemented its policy for transgender troops, which allows transgender people to enlist but only if they present as the gender they were assigned at birth. They are also not allowed to transition while in the military.

A Morehouse student, Marquintas Oldham, 21, who identifies as “queer, non-binary” and who prefers to use the pronouns “they” and “their,” instead of singular pronouns, said their existence was being erased. Students such as Mx. Oldham said they identified as men when they were initially enrolled but no longer do.

“Who I am on this campus, they are trying to kind of like remove me from self-identifying myself,” Mx. Oldham said. “They said in their policy that they are going to still use male-gendered language and that affects me. Sometimes I do dress as a feminine, non-binary person, so when I dress the way I want to dress and it’s a problem, that affects me.”

Mx. Oldham, who is set to graduate in 2021, transitioned while they were enrolled. “I knew I was part of the queer community, I knew I was gay, but I got here to Morehouse and this was different for me,” Mx. Oldham said. “I decided to just live.”

Transgender students who began to transition while attending Morehouse and now identify as women said the new policy ostracized them. Tatiana Rafael, 28, a Morehouse student, was accepted when she identified as male and transitioned to female while she was enrolled.

“It is very lonely being the only transsexual woman on campus,” Ms. Rafael said. “I feel erased and marginalized most of the time because the image that Morehouse presents is the all-male image and in that image they don’t make room for a trans woman.”

Under the policy, a student who transitions from male to female would no longer be eligible to matriculate at Morehouse. It was unclear how many students might be in transition.

Mr. Thomas, the president of the college, said he was “not aware as to whether currently we have a trans man on campus.”

“The policy was not driven by trans individuals who are on the campus,” Mr. Thomas said. “Our students were unclear if we were welcoming or open to transgender men applying. It wasn’t stirred by transgender men on campus.”

Founded in 1867, Morehouse has historically been an all-male institution. Rashad Raymond Moore, 29, who graduated from Morehouse in 2012, said keeping the college all male was at the crux of the school’s history.

“It is the only black institution in the United States that is dedicated to the intellectual and moral formation of black men and to allow trans women to enroll or matriculate or graduate from Morehouse would change the moral fiber of the institution completely,” he said on Sunday.

He said the new policy was a move in the right direction.

“I do believe Morehouse needs to move forward in an intentional way,” he said, adding that the culture of the campus also needed to change to support transgender men.

Mx. Oldham said that leaving or transferring to another school was not an option because they felt at home at Morehouse.

“Morehouse has brought me the best education that I’ve ever had,” Mx. Oldham said. “Being here is a dream come true because this is the college that I love.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mal...n-sparking-backlash-new-policy-211218857.html

All-male Morehouse College will now admit transgender men, sparking backlash over new policy

Morehouse College that’s one of the country’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), has announced it will now enroll transgender men. But instead of that being a step forward, say critics, the policy is too restrictive and actually transphobic, according to the social media hashtag, #MorehouseCannotEraseMe.

On Saturday, the Atlanta school from which both Martin Luther King, Jr. and Spike Lee graduated, announced its Gender Identity Admissions and Matriculation Policy: Starting in fall 2020, new students who self-identify as men — regardless of their birth-assigned sex — are eligible to apply for admission.

“In a rapidly changing world that includes a better understanding of gender identity, we’re proud to expand our admissions policy to consider trans men who want to be part of an institution that has produced some of the greatest leaders in social justice, politics, business, and the arts for more than 150 years,” Terrance Dixon, vice president for enrollment management, said in the release. “The ratification of this policy affirms the College’s commitment to develop men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service.”

The announcement also notes: “Morehouse will continue to use masculine pronouns, the language of brotherhood, and other gendered language that reflects its mission as an institution designed to develop men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service.”

And that’s where the new rule gets tricky, say critics — in insisting that students must self-identify as men during their entire enrollment at Morehouse. If a student begins to transition or self-identify as a woman during their time at the school, they will be unenrolled, unless they are able to successfully petition a three-person committee in a written appeal. It also puts those who don’t conform to a gender binary — who consider themselves to be gender non-conforming or gender non-binary, and who prefer using “they” over male or female pronouns — in a tough position.

The policy attempts to address this issue by stating, “Morehouse College recognizes that not all gender non-conforming people use the term transgender to describe their identity. As such, we welcome gender non-conforming men who identify as gender non-binary (not exclusively female) to apply and matriculate.” The rule is not relevant to students enrolled before 2020.

But that’s gender policing, says those using the hashtag #MorehouseCannotEraseMe.

Tatiana Rafael, a senior Morehouse student who identifies as a “transsexual woman,” tells Yahoo Lifestyle that the policy may serve transgender men well, but that it is discriminatory toward transgender women. “I will graduate in 2020. However, it’s a sad situation for younger students who will be forced to jump through hoops to appeal their enrollment,” she says.

Rafael says college is a time for self-exploration. “People don’t wake up one day and decide they’re transgender — but now they’ll be penalized for it,” she tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

The 28-year-old says she is not harassed on campus, but often feels lonely and misunderstood. Still, she notes proudly, “I am the first fully-transitioned woman in the school’s 152-year history. I made history.”

In 2009, CNN reported on the college’s ban of “clothing usually worn by women(dresses, tops, tunics, purses, pumps, etc.) on the Morehouse campus or at college-sponsored events.” Dr. William Bynum, then vice president for student services, reportedly said at the time, “We are talking about five students who are living a gay lifestyle that is leading them to dress a way we do not expect in Morehouse men.”

A Moorehouse spokesperson tells Yahoo Lifestyle the school no longer has a school-wide dress code, adding of the new policy, “As you know, Morehouse has always been dedicated to educating men. Like other single-gender schools, it is mission-driven. This new policy expands that definition to include trans men for consideration for admission and matriculation. I think that the board’s vote to ratify our new policy on Saturday is in line with today’s better understanding of gender identity.”

9A818EE1-4150-4417-B34C-02F45BAF95E0.gif

so they now allow openly gay men to enroll and get accepted..which ya mean

black elders, and elders families got the high ranking seats in fraternities and local communites.. got gay men in their fam, pushed for their gay fam to be in the school, gay men are openly in the school. some dress like women off campus already and niggaz already know.

so basically they are just now saying that u dont have to have connections to be that and be here. the world is janky, nothing matters, this shit is fake, hug ya kids, love yourself, fap when applicable

Transgender men means they were born women right?

What do they put down for legal documents, taxes, shit like FAFSA when they ask what sex a person is?

And how do they avoid what sex they're pretending to be being considered fraud on those documents?

so they accept females...

Morehouse is officially co-ed.

It would be hilarious if a male student files a lawsuit to get admitted into Spelman University.

Not even a gay, but just a regular dude trying to troll......but being serious at the same time.

They really wouldn't have any argument.

Simply because denying him admittance to Spelman would be considered gender inequality/discrimination.

On top of that, a precedent would've already been set by allowing "women" to attend Morehouse.

Dude could even use Title IX to help make his case.

Shit would be pure comedy.

Last edited:
@Sion be here any minute for the obligatory friendly reminder...

source.gif

Sooooo...can a transgender who was born a male...be accepted at Spelman then??

Back