Welcome To aBlackWeb

MoeW

Monster tells the story of Steve Harmon (Kelvin Harrison Jr.) a seventeen-year-old honor student whose world comes crashing down around him when he is charged with felony murder. The film follows his dramatic journey from a smart, likeable film student from Harlem attending an elite high school through a complex legal battle that could leave him spending the rest of his life in prison.

What defines a person as a monster?

PRAISE: Adapted from Walter Dean Myers MONSTER is about Steve Harmon is a 17-year-old honor student whose world comes crashing down when he's charged with felony murder. He soon faces a complex legal battle that could leave him spending the rest of his life in prison.
The cast including : Kelvin Harrison Jr.,Jennifer Ehle,Tim Blake Nelson,Rakim "A$AP Rocky" Mayers,John David Washington,Jennifer Hudson andJeffrey Wright turn in strong and soulful performances. I thought the narration by the main character was a nice touch because i could feel more for the character his frustrations,fears and questioning his associations and motivations that led to him being in such a terrible situation.The court room drama portions of the film also rang true especially when even the positives in your life can be turned into negatives when you are on trial.All the way to it's final shots the film made me wonder if Steve was just a victim of bad association or was he truly involved in the crime committed.

PROBLEMS: I had slight issues with the pacing in the film.I thought the film missed an oppurtunity to flesh out the characters that were Steve's friends.Instead of focusing on their feelings on his plight we just get a couple of dwelling scenes of reflection.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Back