Welcome To aBlackWeb

MoeW

1708673296302.png

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered today as an American hero: a bridge-builder, a shrewd political tactician, and a moral leader. Yet throughout his history-altering political career, he was often treated by U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies like an enemy of the state. In this virtuosic documentary, award-winning editor and director Sam Pollard (Editor, 4 LITTLE GIRLS, MO’ BETTER BLUES; Director/Producer, EYEZ ON THE PRIZE, SAMMY DAVIS, JR.: I’VE GOTTA BE ME) lays out a detailed account of the FBI surveillance that dogged King’s activism throughout the ’50s and ’60s, fueled by the racist and red-baiting paranoia of J. Edgar Hoover. In crafting a rich archival tapestry, featuring some revelatory restored footage of King, Pollard urges us to remember that true American progress is always hard-won.

Last edited:
Jus finished

I went into this thinking there would be some smoking gun on MLK's extramarital affairs or some other salacious shit. But there isnt any.

They jus tried to explain why the FBI was wire tapping him, what they wanted to accomplish and how it affected him knowing he was being monitored.

They did speak on the "mlk watched and laughed as a female church member was being raped" rumor. They basically dismissed it as a unfounded rumor (which it is)

But at the very end they finally say due to DOJ n FBI rules the earliest the actual wire tap audio can be released is 2027. WTF!!??......so i jus sat thru a 1hr and 40 mins jus to be told the real shit will drop in 7 years?! fuck me!

raw

Last edited:
Jus finished

I went into this thinking there would be some smoking gun on MLK's extramarital affairs or some other salacious shit. But there isnt any.

They jus tried to explain why the FBI was wire tapping him, what they wanted to accomplish and how it affected him knowing he was being monitored.

They did speak on the "mlk watched and laughed as a female church member was being raped" rumor. They basically dismissed it as a unfounded rumor (which it is)

But at the very end they finally say due to DOJ n FBI rules the earliest the actual wire tap audio can be released is 2027. WTF!!??......so i jus sat thru a 1hr and 40 mins jus to told the real shit will drop in 7 years?! fuck me!

raw
Surely a spoiler isn't needed for a historical figure. We all know how the story ends!

I thought it was a great watch. Very well made with some great archive. Funny how the retired FBI guy says that the tapes shouldn't be uncovered in 2027. That's the clearest indication that they DO need to be.

Back