Welcome To aBlackWeb

Man fatally shot by sheriff’s deputy in Elizabeth City, North Carolina

keemz

#gaza4eva #freeKartel #FreeSiva
9CcMGTB.jpg

A father of 10 was fatally shot by a Pasquotank County sheriff’s deputy in North Carolina.

The man, identified by relatives as Andrew Brown, 40, was driving away from officers in Elizabeth City when they shot him around 8:30 a.m., according to police and local TV station WAVY.

“During the execution of the search warrant, a citizen who was subject to the search warrant was shot and fatally wounded,” the Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement.

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation will take over the probe, according to the sheriff, and the city council has called an emergency meeting for Wednesday evening. The sheriff’s department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The police shooting death comes amid heightened anxieties a day after former Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murdering George Floyd. Also Tuesday, police in Columbus, Ohio, shot and killed a black 16-year-old, Ma’Khia Bryant, who was allegedly wielding a knife.

Keith Rivers, president of the Pasquotank County NAACP, said police had not spoken to family members until he arrived and put pressure on authorities to release information.

“The sheriff needs to address these people,” he told WAVY, gesturing at a crowd that had gathered on Brown’s street. “In light of everything that’s going in America with the shooting of unarmed black men, I came down to make sure that the facts are clearly disseminated.”

He called for bodycam footage of the incident to be released immediately, though it was not yet clear if video of the incident had been taken.

A Black man in Virginia was allegedly shot 10 times by a police deputy after the officer gave him a ride home when his vehicle had stalled and then returned when the man placed a 911 call shortly afterward.

sweek subscription offers >
U.S.
Virginia Man Shot 10 Times by Police After Officers Gave Him Ride Home, Then Returned for 911 Call
BY JASON LEMON ON 4/23/21 AT 11:24 AM EDT
U.S. VIRGINIA BLACK LIVES MATTER POLICE POLICE SHOOTING
ABlack man in Virginia was allegedly shot 10 times by a police deputy after the officer gave him a ride home when his vehicle had stalled and then returned when the man placed a 911 call shortly afterward.

Isaiah Brown, 32, is hospitalized in intensive care with 10 bullet wounds following the shooting early Wednesday morning in Spotsylvania County, local NBC News affiliate WRC-TV reported. Brown's siblings told the news channel that their brother was unarmed, with only his phone in his hand, when the shooting took place near their home.

"The officer just started shooting at him for no reason. I didn't hear a warning shot. All I heard was 'Hands up!' one time. And all he had was his phone, so I know he put his hands up," Tazmon Brown, the victim's brother, told the TV station.

Police and Brown's siblings told the station that the incident began around 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning when the shooting victim's car broke down at a gas station. A police deputy, who is white, gave Brown a ride to his home and assured his siblings that he wasn't in any trouble. However, the same deputy returned later after Brown placed a 911 call about a domestic disturbance. The officer then ended up shooting him multiple times outside the home.

In an email to Newsweek on Friday morning, Sergeant Brent Coffey, a spokesperson for the Virginia State Police, explained that the shooting took place at around 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Coffey said the officer responded after receiving a 911 call..

"The sheriff's deputy attempted to verbally engage Brown, and it was during this encounter that the deputy discharged his service weapon. Brown was shot, and the deputy immediately rendered medical aid," he wrote. "Brown was transported to Mary Washington Hospital, where he is still being treated for serious, but non-life threatening, injuries."

Men Who Filmed Themselves Torturing Goats With Medieval Weapon, Sentenced
Men Who Filmed Themselves Torturing Goats With Medieval Weapon, Sentenced
Virginia Cop Fired After Donating to Kyle Rittenhouse Fund
Virginia Cop Fired After Donating to Kyle Rittenhouse Fund
Get unlimited access to Newsweek
FREE TRIAL
Newsweek subscription offers >

U.S.
Virginia Man Shot 10 Times by Police After Officers Gave Him Ride Home, Then Returned for 911 Call
BY JASON LEMON ON 4/23/21 AT 11:24 AM EDT
U.S. VIRGINIA BLACK LIVES MATTER POLICE POLICE SHOOTING
ABlack man in Virginia was allegedly shot 10 times by a police deputy after the officer gave him a ride home when his vehicle had stalled and then returned when the man placed a 911 call shortly afterward.

Isaiah Brown, 32, is hospitalized in intensive care with 10 bullet wounds following the shooting early Wednesday morning in Spotsylvania County, local NBC News affiliate WRC-TV reported. Brown's siblings told the news channel that their brother was unarmed, with only his phone in his hand, when the shooting took place near their home.

"The officer just started shooting at him for no reason. I didn't hear a warning shot. All I heard was 'Hands up!' one time. And all he had was his phone, so I know he put his hands up," Tazmon Brown, the victim's brother, told the TV station.

Police and Brown's siblings told the station that the incident began around 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning when the shooting victim's car broke down at a gas station. A police deputy, who is white, gave Brown a ride to his home and assured his siblings that he wasn't in any trouble. However, the same deputy returned later after Brown placed a 911 call about a domestic disturbance. The officer then ended up shooting him multiple times outside the home.

BEST OF NEWSWEEK VIA EMAIL
Email address

Black Lives Matter
Demonstrators march with Black Lives Matter signs protesting police violence and injustice on June 19, 2020, in Charlottesville, Virginia.
EZE AMOS/GETTY IMAGES
In an email to Newsweek on Friday morning, Sergeant Brent Coffey, a spokesperson for the Virginia State Police, explained that the shooting took place at around 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Coffey said the officer responded after receiving a 911 call.

"The sheriff's deputy attempted to verbally engage Brown, and it was during this encounter that the deputy discharged his service weapon. Brown was shot, and the deputy immediately rendered medical aid," he wrote. "Brown was transported to Mary Washington Hospital, where he is still being treated for serious, but non-life threatening, injuries."

READ MORE

In Pictures, George Floyd Celebrated in LA Streets Once Rocked By Riots

Majority of White Evangelicals Think Black Americans Receive Equal Justice

Ma'Khia Bryant Bodycam Video Shows Columbus Police Fatally Shoot Teen
NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
Coffey noted that "the investigation remains ongoing at this time." He said that "once state police completes its investigation, the criminal investigative file will be turned over to a special prosecutor, Fredericksburg Commonwealth's Attorney LaBravia Jenkins, for review and adjudication."

Yolanda Brown, the victim's sister, told WRC-TV, "I'm just still trying to figure out where he felt the threat at, to feel the need to shoot."

It's unclear why her brother called 911, but police have said it was regarding a "domestic situation." Tazmon Brown told the news station that he thinks his brother hoped to get a ride back to his stalled vehicle.

The shooting comes as national attention is focused on police shootings and systemic racism in the nation's justice system. On Tuesday, a grand jury in Minneapolis convicted former police officer Derek Chauvin for the May 2020 murder of George Floyd, who was Black. Floyd's death sparked a massive wave of nationwide demonstrations against police brutality and racism.

He called the police and told them he was about to kill his brother. He also told 911 dispatch he had a gun. Then said twice he didn’t.

IMO the dispatch lady sounded fed up. The cop will most likely get off, but I think it should be pointed out he clearly said he had a gun pointed at his head not him.

Stupidness.

The police & mass shooters have been on a streak over the last month

I honestly don’t know if a day has passed recently where I haven’t seen some bullshit from one or the other

911 call doesn't match what the cop is describing on body cam...but you can't see nothing on the bodycam...disturbing how comforting the cop is after shooting the guy 10 times.

they being funny trying to redact and blur faces of the officers..

Family will be viewing the footage today around 1:30pm apparently..

Back