Welcome To aBlackWeb

Hater Hearst Helmsley

I AM THE GAME

In the new Netflix adaptation of “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,” it’s a sweat-slicked summer day in Chicago 1927 and everybody wants something. White music-industry bigwigs want a new recording from the indomitable Ma Rainey (Viola Davis), a Southern singer dubbed the “Mother of the Blues,” and they want it fast. Her ambitious trumpeter, Levee (Chadwick Boseman), is desperate to put a contemporary spin on Ma’s old-fashioned songs, hoping it will launch his own career.

And what does Ma want, after she’s arrived late to her recording session, caused a commotion on the street and sized up the pleading music men who now swarm her like gnats?

Well, for starters, she wants a Coke. So where the hell is it?

Adapted from the 1984 August Wilson play by the director George C. Wolfe and the screenwriter Ruben Santiago-Hudson, this new take on “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” will arrive Dec. 18 on Netflix, though much has changed since the film was shot last year. In August, the 43-year-old Boseman died after a private battle with colon cancer; Levee is his final role.

1708421690144.png

Anyone check this out yet?

Some day. Just watching that trailer was hard. I haven't been able to watch anything with him in it.

Was marathoning the mcu films a few weeks back. Got to civil war and couldn't press play.

Some day. Just watching that trailer was hard. I haven't been able to watch anything with him in it.

Was marathoning the mcu films a few weeks back. Got to civil war and couldn't press play.
I feel the same way, I was watching that Kevin Hart thing and got to the episode Chadwick was in and had to turn it off

Great film. Had a similar feel to Fences as in it felt like a play turned into a movie. Whole cast did their thing but Boseman for sure stole the show.

Some great dialogue and even better monologues from the characters.

Viola Davis did great and Ma Rainey aint take no shit lol.
Glynn Turman is a legend.
I didnt even recognize Brother Mouzone(Michael Potts) at first lol
Shout out to Colman Domingo too. dude is underrated but he does his thing in every production he's part of.

RIP Chadwick Boseman...Dude was a hell of an actor

Chadwick a shoe in for the Oscar. You can tell he laid everything it the movie and some of his dialogue was a bit too eerie for me considering what happened. Would love to see this in theaters. Props for Denzel to get every August Wilson play on film.

Back