Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Lupe Fiasco - Drogas Wave Album Thread

Rate "Drogas Wave"

• Total voters
There is no bodybag.

I just said right before he posted that, that Lupe is/was an incredible wordsmith, his music just sucks. This aint no @Sion and Childish gambino shit, I've always acknowledged Lupe was a good lyricist, his music just sucks and yall over-rate the fuck outta simple bars.

This is yall niggas

Brah, even I've agreed he's not the best at crafting songs that reach a wider audience

Why do you keep bringing that up when we've agreed with you?

You keep bringing up sales and shit when the former point is a direct correlation to chart success

And we're gonna keep coming back to these simple bars you keep bringing up because I'm sure your favorite artists have their fair share of them that you conveniently seem to never acknowledge

I'm down for a thread to let the community judge

I'll ask though

Do you think dumb it down was simple?

It was aight. This was the start of Lupe being perceived as deeper and more clever than he is and when the actual music started to decline. Before that, his music was actually good. The same album that song is on (The Cool) , had dope songs. But I feel the reception "Dumb it down" got, made him take that route and he started to focus on trying to go over heads and put making good music by the wayside.

His career is damn near identical to eminem. They're dope lyricist, but they make headphone music. Nobody wants to hear that shit at a party, cookout, club, in the whip with ur niggas, in the whip with your bitch, no fuckin where.

When you're goat status, you're able to make thought provoking music, that u can still ride to and will be enjoyable for everybody. Lupe and Em aint there, but Em is better at doing it.

The irony to the intro of this song/mixtape name, but this mf used to make dope music. I blame "dumb it down" for his decline.

It was aight. This was the start of Lupe being perceived as deeper and more clever than he is and when the actual music started to decline. Before that, his music was actually good. The same album that song is on (The Cool) , had dope songs. But I feel the reception "Dumb it down" got, made him take that route and he started to focus on trying to go over heads and put making good music by the wayside.

His career is damn near identical to eminem. They're dope lyricist, but they make headphone music. Nobody wants to hear that shit at a party, cookout, club, in the whip with ur niggas, in the whip with your bitch, no fuckin where.

When you're goat status, you're able to make thought provoking music, that u can still ride to and will be enjoyable for everybody. Lupe and Em aint there, but Em is better at doing it.
Fam, who bumping any of pac songs at cookouts outside of maybe 5? Does that mean pac wack?

Obviously we view dumb it down differently.

I mean the hook is entirely ironic.

"That shit ain't popping over here b"
"You putting niggas to sleep"
"You'll sell more records if you dumb it down"

How can you honestly listen to that song and post what you just posted?

Fam, who bumping any of pac songs at cookouts outside of maybe 5? Does that mean pac wack?

Obviously we view dumb it down differently.

I mean the hook is entirely ironic.

"That shit ain't popping over here b"
"You putting niggas to sleep"
"You'll sell more records if you dumb it down"

How can you honestly listen to that song and post what you just posted?

AEOM alone has more than 5 songs that still gets played at cookouts and that mf died over 20 years ago lol When he was alive, all his shit was being played everywhere. Pac albums still get blasted out of whips on the daily. Nobody is blasting lupe. Slap yourself for even trying to make that argument.

What part of my breakdown of "Dumb it down" doesn't make sense? After that song he became a caricature of himself. Before he was naturally spitting and going over heads, after that song he started trying to purposely go over heads and have his fanbase try to guess wtf he's talking about.

The song i just posted was him naturally spitting bars but it wasn't forced, compared to him now talkin about santa clause and fake deep shit that doesn't mean anything. It's just fake treasure hunts within songs that aren't even sonically appeasing.

The nigga needs to go back to just making good music, stop with the fake treasure hunts

How you think he's intentionally trying to go over people's heads?

You are an avid battle rap listener but I don't ever read this as a complaint from you when they out here dropping triple entendres

This a strange hill to die on

I guess he reaching when he talked about Genesis being a console as well as a book from the Bible too huh

How you think he's intentionally trying to go over people's heads?

You are an avid battle rap listener but I don't ever read this as a complaint from you when they out here dropping triple entendres

Those niggas normally off themselves (chilla jones, born, anubis, etc) they put a ceiling on themselves trying to go overheads. I forgot who said it but it was something like "fuck going over heads, when i spit a shoot a nigga right in his face" . If lupe wants to do treasure hunts in his songs cool, but atleast let the song be good. He used to make good MUSIC, now he just has extremely good wordplay and clever bars in which half aren't as clever as mfs make em seem and the song itself be trash.

On the low, Revenge of the Nerds might be Lupe's best project.

The only thing really stopping be from going all out is that I'm mobile and my cpu is in storage

Lucky bastard

Back