Welcome To aBlackWeb

Look What They Feeding My Boy

I don't have issues with City Girls, Cardi, Meg, because they are comfortable doing what they love. I do have a issue with the gatekeepers and influencers being white girls and boys conceptionlizing urban culture only one specific way which is vulgar, inappropriate, and feel with vice. The fact that gate keepers and trendsetters are not a reflection of our skin color is alarming as well, because this shit goes back to NWA, Public enemy, 2live crew, etc. The only exception was the zulu Nation movement. But the extreme forms of urban culture was ALWAYS deemed more sexy and provocative. While other forms of hip hop like Rapsody, Lupe, Lauryn Hill, etc was considered too boring, preachy, or not cool.

It's a conditioned norm we all fail into. I love ALL forms of hip hop. I love ignorant boss woman shit because I'm all for woman empowerment. I love oakland pimp shit because I love the vulnerable raw uncut nature. And I love gangsta/thought provoking shit. The problem is only one side being defined.
There really are not that many gatekeepers anymore. Youtube and other streaming platforms created a hole in the gates. You no longer need to be on a major. Majors now are not breaking and training artist anymore. They just pick up people that already built up their buzz on social media.

There really are not that many gatekeepers anymore. Youtube and other streaming platforms created a hole in the gates. You no longer need to be on a major. Majors now are not breaking and training artist anymore. They just pick up people that already built up their buzz on social media.
Go on the billboard top 100 and in the top 50 see if you can name find a rapper that's not on some extra shit.

If it wasn't as important, labels wouldn't spend as much as they do to get spins, they would focus that money on social media outlets and whatnot. Labels still spend a significant amount of money out of an artist's budget on indies to get radio spins.

Fact is, radio is still important even if most of us in this thread no longer listen to stations that play current music.

A good number of artists have significant followings with with little to no radio play. Radio is typically late to what people are already listening to. By the time an artist would need a radio budget their songs have already been streamed millions of times so it's not really a necessity

Go on the billboard top 100 and in the top 50 see if you can name find a rapper that's not on some extra shit.
The billboards are based off of streams and purchases. That is dictated by the public. There will always be mainstream artist. But independent or artist that dont have that mainstream pull can still be heard due to our access to the internet. I have Sirius Xm. They have a station dedicated to playing unheard or non-charting music from artist. Artist can build a huge buzz and following without a label. That is the strength of the internet

The billboards are based off of streams and purchases. That is dictated by the public. There will always be mainstream artist. But independent or artist that dont have that mainstream pull can still be heard due to our access to the internet. I have Sirius Xm. They have a station dedicated to playing unheard or non-charting music from artist. Artist can build a huge buzz and following without a label. That is the strength of the internet

Within the context of the late 80's, KRS-ONE was once "mainstream" as was Public Enemy, X Clan, etc.

And while you can say that the opportunity for random artists to be heard exists thanks to the internet, it simply doesn't happen that way. 'Cause if it did, I would have collected publishing checks on shit I produced for "underground" artists that have actually been played on Sirius shows 'cause it would have translated into sales, show performances, etc according to what you're saying.

Fact is, it doesn't work that way. I know cats working the shit outta their music pushing it far and wide and it ain't panning out like that because they ain't talking about doin' drugs, fuckin hoes/hoes ain't shit/homies over hoes, their money and material trappings, and anything else that's pervasive in rap currently making the rounds.

I had a discussion with my girl and younger brothers about this. I agree. The thing is I'm a first person. For every NLE Choppa, Lil Tecca, And NBA Youngboy there is only .5 YBN Cordae. The percentage is pretty off and honestly depressing. I assume for the youngins, artist like Rod Wave falls into the emotional vulnerable space and others like Polo G and even Juice Weld did as well.

It's just not for me. It seems like it's the same cheesy piano melody "sad song" sound and the lines of " I told my momma I was gonna pray days like this, the struggle got me want to stunt and fuck bitches" shit is even crossing over to the youngins conscious thoughtful rappers which shows that the bar is pretty low.

But who are we to judge? Is it low because it doesn't sound or discuss matters similar to how we grew up on it? All in all shit is depressing especially for those who truly love music and their favorite artists no longer create music.
Yes yes..and I'm saying that we need to push to the forefront of the recognition that the pattern is pop kids get groomed to be functional adults that deal with their demons. And "urban" children get groomed to be nonfunctional adults that seek constant instant gratification to numb or escape their demons.

X was the first mainstream rap artist universally like that dealt with his depression, and manic disorder, and struggles with his demons, directly ..and openly.

And then there was x was a manuscript on how you embrace and speak about it from a hood perspective and make it profitable. What they do..take the catchy hook song "Ruff Ryders Anthem" and make that his next 2 albums.

It change the face of the whole RR movement from Xs first shit and the lox we are the streets. Which also dealt with some of that..to we niggaz from up north that fuck bitches, get money, sell drugs and kill niggaz.

It's like you can peep the shift and see where it lead to.

Yes yes..and I'm saying that we need to push to the forefront of the recognition that the pattern is pop kids get groomed to be functional adults that deal with their demons. And "urban" children get groomed to be nonfunctional adults that seek constant instant gratification to numb or escape their demons.

X was the first mainstream rap artist universally like that dealt with his depression, and manic disorder, and struggles with his demons, directly ..and openly.

And then there was x was a manuscript on how you embrace and speak about it from a hood perspective and make it profitable. What they do..take the catchy hook song "Ruff Ryders Anthem" and make that his next 2 albums.

It change the face of the whole RR movement from Xs first shit and the lox we are the streets. Which also dealt with some of that..to we niggaz from up north that fuck bitches, get money, sell drugs and kill niggaz.

It's like you can peep the shift and see where it lead to.

And Then there was X was his 3rd album and by then X's rep had already been well established thanks to songs like Slippin which is arguably his 3rd biggest single ever after RR Anthem and Party Up...and the 1st single off the follow up to And Then there Was X was "Who We Be" which wasnt corny at all. X first singles were more on the tip you're talking about. As he did more music his albums got more and more personal and darker in terms of what he openly talked about dealing with.

Within the context of the late 80's, KRS-ONE was once "mainstream" as was Public Enemy, X Clan, etc.

And while you can say that the opportunity for random artists to be heard exists thanks to the internet, it simply doesn't happen that way. 'Cause if it did, I would have collected publishing checks on shit I produced for "underground" artists that have actually been played on Sirius shows 'cause it would have translated into sales, show performances, etc according to what you're saying.

Fact is, it doesn't work that way. I know cats working the shit outta their music pushing it far and wide and it ain't panning out like that because they ain't talking about doin' drugs, fuckin hoes/hoes ain't shit/homies over hoes, their money and material trappings, and anything else that's pervasive in rap currently making the rounds.
It doesnt work for everyone. And when I said people dont need a label, I meant a label by a major. Plenty of people are independent now. Also, a lot of new artist are being heard on the internet before they sign to a label. It gives them exposure. Rap is over saturated so that is why some people have to do things that make them stand out. That can be gimmicks or lyric content. Not everyone is gonna make it. Kind of like the NBA.

And Then there was X was his 3rd album and by then X's rep had already been well established thanks to songs like Slippin which is arguably his 3rd biggest single ever after RR Anthem and Party Up...and the 1st single off the follow up to And Then there Was X was "Who We Be" which wasnt corny at all. X first singles were more on the tip you're talking about. As he did more music his albums got more and more personal and darker in terms of what he openly talked about dealing with.
Yea I meant its dark... ima on a coffee high right

That's a discussion, let's Discuss why Judah gets the point but its vague to yall
Maybe it’s because Judah doesn’t need to be told A to Z in order to know it’s the alphabet.

People don’t like vague because it makes them think and they can’t immediately challenge what you are saying.

They must make their stance known first or ask for more info.

But even a little info can give you an idea of the direction if you understand context.

Bet these are the same people that think yelling louder will make a foreigner understand English.

• Ether
Reactions: B_A
It doesnt work for everyone. And when I said people dont need a label, I meant a label by a major. Plenty of people are independent now. Also, a lot of new artist are being heard on the internet before they sign to a label. It gives them exposure. Rap is over saturated so that is why some people have to do things that make them stand out. That can be gimmicks or lyric content. Not everyone is gonna make it. Kind of like the NBA.

Not everybody SHOULD make it either. That's why new artists were vetted the way they were back in the day.

Maybe it’s because Judah doesn’t need to be told A to Z in order to know it’s the alphabet.

People don’t like vague because it makes them think and they can’t immediately challenge what you are saying.

They must make their stance known first or ask for more info.

But even a little info can give you an idea of the direction if you understand context.

Bet these are the same people that think yelling louder will make a foreigner understand English.
U betta stop preaching out in these streets

tenor (19).gif

Asch's conformity. Even if they can choose right/better, they wont. No one wants to be the odd one out..... they get laughed at, derided, criticized, etc.

A good number of artists have significant followings with with little to no radio play. Radio is typically late to what people are already listening to. By the time an artist would need a radio budget their songs have already been streamed millions of times so it's not really a necessity

Big Krit and guys like him are a perfect example. A lot of people heard of him consider him a beast but he never on radio.
Dmx said he had blood on his dick from fucking a corpse.

My mom heard that shit Christmas morning and I ain't see that album again until high school graduation ??‍♂️

My dad played hit em up in the car one time my mom immediately spazzed

Back