Welcome To aBlackWeb

Look What They Feeding My Boy

ImaInfluenza

Who do you think you are? I am
hqdefault (1).jpg

I think most of us are of an older age and have children. For most when we were children, alot of the things we consumed that were not in direct relation to family were outside sources of media. Print, Entertainment, etc.

I'm now old enough to look back at an era. I take you to the TRL era, the 106 and park era. I wont go back to the yo mtv raps era because i dont feel like semantic debates to be honest.

But in the TRL era pop, rock, and all other forms of non urban music. The content was largely structured in dealing with emotions and speaking on emotions. Where as a large portion of urban music, where if you actually listen to in depth. Dealt heavily with the escape of emotions rather than the dealing with emotions.

This was always seen among black, that the walking through of emotions isnt something black people do. Which was structurally untrue. Mainly black families dealt with family court, family night, family events where we dealt with each other emotions directly.

So while our outward facing culture shunned the direct expression of vulnerability. Pop, rock, etc. Embraced it.

Here is the problem...pop music gets Billy Ellish and the dealing with teen angst. Urban music gets city girls and wap..

The only emotions dealt with in urban music now a days are anger, spite and gluttony.

Ima kill you, ima fuck your girl, ima wear more designer than you.

Stop for a moment and listen to the music being fed to the children that listen to pop music

Take one day to be mindful of the programming of a generation..but dont react to it. Just notice it, absorb it, accept it as a reality, sleep on it. The next day wake up and take notice of what else you notice.

Give better examples please....."I'ma kill you....I'ma fuck your girl...I wear more designer than you" was a common theme in the 2000's. You mention city girls and wap. Touch on that some more

I must be confused. Why do you shed light on a specific era, then....bring up current artist and speak about the only emotions in urban music "nowadays".

What I'm saying is for the past 20 years...its been more or less the same....with the exception of them letting up in censorship a bit

You been listening to the GOAT Scarface this morning?

“Let me say this sh-t right because I want this to be as offensive as I can f–kin’ make it for these old-ass punks that’s running these record labels who are in the powerful positions to dictate what the black community hears and listens to. I f–king hate that sh*t. That sh*t pisses me off,” “There’s no f–king way that you can tell me it’s not a conspiracy against the blacks in hip-hop. You put out f–king records that make us look stupid. You make us look dumb,” ‘Face said. “You brainwash a generation of Hip-Hoppers with this f–king crud. When these other rappers come out, splitting it down the middle, these other rappers’ sh-t sound like ‘Wow!’ Y’all look great!’ Y’all look stupid!'”

I must be confused. Why do you shed light on a specific era, then....bring up current artist and speak about the only emotions in urban music "nowadays".

What I'm saying is for the past 20 years...its been more or less the same....with the exception of them letting up in censorship a bit
Ok...

Ummm, Roxanne Shante...Mc Lyte...Queen Latifah...Lady of Rage..Lil Kim...Foxy Brown...Nicki Minaj...Cardi B...Meg the Stallion...City Girls..

Note the progression

On the other hand..

Madonna...Qwen Stafani...Pink..Brittany Spears..Christina Aguilera..Arina Grande...Billy Ellish..

Note the progression

I think you are about to open up a can of worms with this one. I get exactly what you're saying. IMO, for like the last 20-25 years or so, what would commonly be considered "urban" or "black" music has been used as a vehicle to set trends. If we look back to the civil rights era, there are documentaries out now that prove that there was a politically motivated agenda to demonize the leaders who stood for black empowerment. In turn, i think those individuals in charge of that campaign realized the influence of music as well and eventually moved to control it was well.

When hip hop music noticeably became the most popular genre, i think there was a concerted effort to change the narrative of the message in the music. Gil Scott Heron, Public Enemy, Poor Righteous Teachers, KRS-1, many others became the exception instead of the rule. Personally, i think that was by design.

Before we had the ease of access we do now, the radio played a major part in exposure. Because those types of artists stopped getting the push of the label in an era when they dictated 90% of what became popular, it was easy to put the spotlight to artists that focused on the negative aspects of the culture. And it worked...

It carried over for almost 3 decades. And here we are.

Ok...

Ummm, Roxanne Shante...Mc Lyte...Queen Latifah...Lady of Rage..Lil Kim...Foxy Brown...Nicki Minaj...Cardi B...Meg the Stallion...City Girls..

Note the progression

On the other hand..

Madonna...Qwen Stafani...Pink..Brittany Spears..Christina Aguilera..Arina Grande...Billy Ellish..

Note the progression

I think you're implying something and expecting me to read between the lines because you left out a TON of female rappers. Matter of fact..is this about female rappers? Even though I'm sure no females rappers are saying "I'ma fuck your girl, I'ma kill you, I wear more designer"

Your examples are throwing me off fam

I think you're implying something and expecting me to read between the lines because you left out a TON of female rappers. Matter of fact..is this about female rappers? Even though I'm sure no females rappers are saying "I'ma fuck your girl, I'ma kill you, I wear more designer"

Your examples are throwing me off fam
I'm sorry then, I can't help you fam

Went from Madonna who started her career in 1984 to Gwen Stefani who's first solo album wasnt until 2004. Couldve atleast tossed in Mandy Moore or Avril Lavigne

I think you are about to open up a can of worms with this one. I get exactly what you're saying. IMO, for like the last 20-25 years or so, what would commonly be considered "urban" or "black" music has been used as a vehicle to set trends. If we look back to the civil rights era, there are documentaries out now that prove that there was a politically motivated agenda to demonize the leaders who stood for black empowerment. In turn, i think those individuals in charge of that campaign realized the influence of music as well and eventually moved to control it was well.

When hip hop music noticeably became the most popular genre, i think there was a concerted effort to change the narrative of the message in the music. Gil Scott Heron, Public Enemy, Poor Righteous Teachers, KRS-1, many others became the exception instead of the rule. Personally, i think that was by design.

Before we had the ease of access we do now, the radio played a major part in exposure. Because those types of artists stopped getting the push of the label in an era when they dictated 90% of what became popular, it was easy to put the spotlight to artists that focused on the negative aspects of the culture. And it worked...

It carried over for almost 3 decades. And here we are.
Should it be a can of worms tho?

Should it be a can of worms tho?

Not at all.

I just think the conversation will inevitably shift in a whole different direction in regard to the plight of being black in America (the world really).

We are the most attacked and disrespected group of people. Period. The fact that we are even labeled "black" should tell you all you need to know. The dichotomy of the words black and white and the way the are depicted in different areas of our culture create a subconscious prejudice for the things we attribute them to.

Devils food cake? The black plague? Black magic? Black mail? Black sheep?

All in the plan....

I said what i said because i didn't want to derail the thread, but it's relevant That line of thinking was just adjusted and applied to the music business to reinforce the that line of thinking. White = good Black = bad.

"Urban" music is "black" music. So it's only "right" for it to fall in line with the common thought processes.

Last edited:
Not at all.

I just think the conversation will inevitably shift in a whole different direction in regard to the plight of being black in America (the world really).

We are the most attacked and disrespected group of people. Period. The fact that we are even labeled "black" should tell you all you need to know. The dichotomy of the words black and white and the way the are depicted in different areas of our culture create a subconscious prejudice for the things we attribute them to.

Devils food cake? The black plague? Black magic? Black mail? Black sheep?

All in the plan....

I said what i said because i didn't want to derail the thread, but it's relevant That line of thinking was just adjusted and applied to the music business to reinforce the that line of thinking. White = good Black = bad.

"Urban" music is "black" music. So it's only "right" for it to fall in line with the common thought processes.
Great post, I agree with all of what you said

While you might have been able to make this argument in the age of radio... now not so much.

Now, in this age of playlists and DSPs, instead of being force fed bullshit rap... we actively seek out the music we want to hear. So it's more like "What are you allowing the kids to listen to?"

That being said theres plenty of toxic white music out there.. its not just rap/hip hop music

While you might have been able to make this argument in the age of radio... now not so much.

Now, in this age of playlists and DSPs, instead of being force fed bullshit rap... we actively seek out the music we want to hear. So it's more like "What are you allowing the kids to listen to?"

That being said theres plenty of toxic white music out there.. its not just rap/hip hop music
U do...dont confuse your preferences for the overall general preferences

Yea. But rap is the most toxic due to the popularity of it

Back