Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Legend or Vet: Too Short

Legend or Vet?

• Total voters
Back in the 80s I was growing up in Massachusetts. We liked New York rappers. But when you went to the record store there were always records by people we never heard of. The record covers had Palm trees in the backgound. Thats how we could tell it was from California or Florida.

Those records always sounded different from NYC music. At the time I didn't like rap from other regions but groups like 2 Live Crew and Too Short have grown on me. They are most definitely legends in the literal meaning of the word.

You were not official in the game during the 90's if you did not have Short Dog on a track and in a video...

Nah lets be real about this shit. Outta all the tournaments we've done on this mf, nobody has ever nominated an album or song from this mf, not even one.

This nigga aint a fuckin legend.

He's a Bay area pioneer, that puts him in the legends category. Him and E40 are at the top of the list

Too short held down an entire region. Put that region on the map, kicking down the door for other artists in that region.

He sold a LOT of records independently. Then sold a LOT of records on a major label. And he sold a lot of records for a LONG time.

His 'Beeeiiiiiiitch' is definitely a part of the rap lexicon now.

And I hate that niggas are making me defend Too Short, because I'm not a fan of most of the nigga's music at all. But I don't think it can be denied that Short is a legend.

Maaaaaaan fuck anybody who slanders shorty the pimp.

Legend by every standard. Sold cassettes out the trunk, CDs out the liquor stores, and mp3s off the net. Been doing this shit since 1983!
"And after 2 platinum albums, you call me weak. Cause I dont sell records in the east."

Pay your respects or keep it movin, this dude been making records longer than most of yall been alive. The man has at least 1 platinum record in each of the last 4 decades! Only hip hop would down talk it's own innovators like this. How u go platinum in the 80s, 90s, 2000s and the previous decade and still people wanna hate?!

1st to do it out the trunk, 1st and best to do pimp raps, did it with big, pac, jay, snoop, ugk, puff, facemobb, etc., had the whole world yellin bitch like him.

Life is too short, the ghetto, short but funky, in the trunk, I'm a player, cocktails, blowjob Betty, gettin it, call me, invasion of the flat booty bitches, choosing, shake that monkey, blow the whistle, I want your girl, fuck my car

bitch, fuck faces, players holiday, rappers ball, pimpin ain't no illusion, bia bia, bossy, life of da party, on my level, loyal, or nah, 4 tha hustlas, real niggaz, the world is filled, a week ago, big booty hoes, ad infinitum!

Go play any record above, not a weak track in the bunch. If you don't recognize a legend with the resume that short has, then that's on you, if you know you know.

Using your logic any rapper who was a pioneer in their city or the first one to blow up in their city is a rap legend. Schooly is a rap legend, MC shan, Wale, etc.

He's not a rap legend, he's a bay area legend. Yall mfs be using terms like classic and legends way too freely.

i forgot why i voted Legend but I stand behind my pick for a lot of the reasons youngun stated

Using your logic any rapper who was a pioneer in their city or the first one to blow up in their city is a rap legend. Schooly is a rap legend, MC shan, Wale, etc.

He's not a rap legend, he's a bay area legend. Yall mfs be using terms like classic and legends way too freely.
Does wale have platinum plaques from 4 different decades?! Did wale pioneer an entire sub-genre of rap music??? Does wale have a word that is synonymous with him like short with bitch?

I mean how u want it? Record sales? Influence? Longevity? Respect from his peers? Short got all that in spades. Theres no argument to be made man, you just ain't been knowing, which is all well and good. But you ain't actually articulated an argument to discredit short because you cant. We as fans of hip hop are the only one who down the pioneers of our music. That shit gotta stop.

You made a point in this thread that short ain't had an album that sold in 20 years like he ain't sold records for 20 years prior to that. Short ain't a regional legend, u can go region by region and see that. Records with pac and snoop, ugk and face, Wayne took whole tracks off short (dick pleaser, nh), tracks with jay, puff, kim, and big, crunk tracks with lil jon, he got a platinum record with fuckin wiz Khalifa in 2010! He first went platinum in 1988 selling cassettes like come on fam, he was a legend before dudes was even a glimmer in their father's eyes.

Recency bias, regional bias, prisoner of the moment. Call it what u want but its stone cold hating. All this love for kobe (as it should be) but we ain't learn that u gotta give people their roses, nah we ain't gon do it that way no more.

Does wale have platinum plaques from 4 different decades?! Did wale pioneer an entire sub-genre of rap music??? Does wale have a word that is synonymous with him like short with bitch?

I mean how u want it? Record sales? Influence? Longevity? Respect from his peers? Short got all that in spades. Theres no argument to be made man, you just ain't been knowing, which is all well and good. But you ain't actually articulated an argument to discredit short because you cant. We as fans of hip hop are the only one who down the pioneers of our music. That shit gotta stop.

You made a point in this thread that short ain't had an album that sold in 20 years like he ain't sold records for 20 years prior to that. Short ain't a regional legend, u can go region by region and see that. Records with pac and snoop, ugk and face, Wayne took whole tracks off short (dick pleaser, nh), tracks with jay, puff, kim, and big, crunk tracks with lil jon, he got a platinum record with fuckin wiz Khalifa in 2010! He first went platinum in 1988 selling cassettes like come on fam, he was a legend before dudes was even a glimmer in their father's eyes.

Recency bias, regional bias, prisoner of the moment. Call it what u want but its stone cold hating. All this love for kobe (as it should be) but we ain't learn that u gotta give people their roses, nah we ain't gon do it that way no more.

Bruh, I'm not calling a nigga a legend cuz he says the word bitch "cool".

He has platinum albums in the 80s and 90s, he doesn't have any in the 00s or 10s. I'm not saying that's a determining factor, but you said 4 different decades.

Too Short has more plat albums than wale, but wale has more plat singles than Short.

And more importantly, Wale is respected as a top tier rapper way more than Short.

In the "best songs of the year" series we did, Wale songs were nominated multiples times, not one Too Short song was mentioned.

Niggas trying to call homie a legend cuz he said bitch cool and cuz he was in the game early, that aint enough.

If Too Short is a legend, so is wale. And so is every artist who blew up in their city first.

Bruh, I'm not calling a nigga a legend cuz he says the word bitch "cool".

He has platinum albums in the 80s and 90s, he doesn't have any in the 00s or 10s. I'm not saying that's a determining factor, but you said 4 different decades.

Too Short has more plat albums than wale, but wale has more plat singles than Short.

And more importantly, Wale is respected as a top tier rapper way more than Short.

In the "best songs of the year" series we did, Wale songs were nominated multiples times, not one Too Short song was mentioned.

Niggas trying to call homie a legend cuz he said bitch cool and cuz he was in the game early, that aint enough.
I was counting his plaques for his features for bossy and on my level. If we just doing his albums then yeah 4 gold records (last in 2000) and 6 platinum. I mean most artist wont ever release 10 albums let alone 10 that went gold or plat. You name another cat in music with 10 albums with plaques that isnt a legend then you might actually have an argument. But seeing how that's fucking impossible to do, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The irony that you named yourself Goldie and yet dont recognize the pioneer of pimp rap as the legend he is, is kinda wild lol. Like, you was putting on for cam earlier in the thread, and I love cam, but come on fam! U confusing your own personal preferences in this shit, but the poll clearly shows that u should expand your thinking on this particular subject. Peace and love brotha but you gon have to be wrong on this 1.

Nigga said wale....

Back