Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Legend or Vet: Black Thought

Legend or Vet

• Total voters
im not tryna take anything away from Common, Monch, Mos or Kweli....

but what makes Common a legend again?

I only ask to compare on how BT is being gauged on whether he's a legend or not. I'm not talking about movies n shit. Strictly hip hop.

Is it cuz he made I used to love H.E.R.(Classic Track)? Cuz he made the bitch in yoo? something else?

Resurrection, Like Water For Chocolate, One Day It Will All Make Sense and Be...are all classics or at worst “damn near classics”...Common a legend bruh...don’t let @Goldie make u feel like a “digimon card trading nerd” for liking “backpack rap” my nigga lol...I don’t like anime/comic books, I use my phone for a computer and can barely use this shit, ex “street runner” wit’ ALL that encompasses, Redman and Big Pun as my favorite artist ass, Styles P in my top 10 ass, Wu Tang my favorite group ass, drive 3 1/2 hrs last weekend to tha A smoking weed tha whole way up I-20 just to go to tha Griselda show ASS muhfucka and I STILL listen to ATCQ, The Roots and Common and respect their legendary status in hip-hop...its really ok to like different shit Lmaooo

DMX and Kid Cudi rap and sing about struggles, pain, life issues but deliver the message and content in a catchy, melodic, engaging, entertaining way that's the beauty of their music that they have deep subject mater but it's catchy at the same time. They not lyrical either so the message they deliver simple easy to decipher as well

That's the beauty @Lab Baby @5thLetter @Ghostface

It's like eating Nandos chicken that's healthy

Where as rappers like Black Thought deliver their message in an utterly boring, bland, mechanical, forced, corny, dark way. Plus he's technically lyrical

Plus DMX and Kid Cudi are hook masters while a Black Thought or a Jay Z or a Masta Ace or an AZ or a Common or a Beanie Sigel or a Big Pun can't do a hook to save their life

Commercial and not rappity

Him doing hooks

See the source image

Resurrection, Like Water For Chocolate, One Day It Will All Make Sense and Be...are all classics or at worst “damn near classics”...Common a legend bruh...don’t let @Goldie make u feel like a “digimon card trading nerd” for liking “backpack rap” my nigga lol...I don’t like anime/comic books, I use my phone for a computer and can barely use this shit, ex “street runner” wit’ ALL that encompasses, Redman and Big Pun as my favorite artist ass, Styles P in my top 10 ass, Wu Tang my favorite group ass, drive 3 1/2 hrs last weekend to tha A smoking weed tha whole way up I-20 just to go to tha Griselda show ASS muhfucka and I STILL listen to ATCQ, The Roots and Common and respect their legendary status in hip-hop...its really ok to like different shit Lmaooo

lmao let's be clear I never made a stance on Common. I was just asking about by which measures yall that think he is a legend hold him/the title of legend to

this prolly the first time most niggas in here have discussed or brought Black Thought since his freestyle a yr or 2 ago

When this thread started I followed it for the first few days. Then I went away for a few days and came back and this thread is 40 pages.

I'm not going to read all 40 pages but I'll say this;

The Roots aren't known for making "hits" in the traditional sense. There's more than one way of being a GOAT. The first way is to get on top 40 radio, sell a million units and win Grammy awards. But the other way of being a GOAT is to drop qualitatively good music for 20+ years.

The Roots are GOATs because of the second way. They didn't "sell out" by making hits for the masses, they just made good music and all of their albums stand the test of time. They don't have anything in their catalog (that I'm aware of) that lost it's replay value. And their music doesn't sound dated.

So yeah, Black Thought's a legend, Questlove is a legend, and The Roots are legends.

Back