Welcome To aBlackWeb

Judged Battles In Battle Rap

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
I think a lot of people want judged battles in battle rap but coming up with a system that satisfies all sides is the tough part.

Do you think judged battles in battle rap are necessary?

If so, how do you think it can be done?

IDK , I Will say Having access to viewing these joints myself . Has given me the time to catch shit I may not have gotten on 1st watch

But yeah some type of system needs to be in place....

Case In Point DNA VS Verb , Shit was a Gas Fest

IDK Maybe have Niggas on stage but don't say whom the judges are

LOL Oh yeah Finally got the App working on my phone & the casting to the TV is Dope As Fuck

Niggas gotta start Voting Here too !!!

Sounds like the direction they are going in URL. The crucible is judged. Ultimate madness is judged.. and they said that tournament is not only for the lower classes, they’ll do another one with vets.

That recent interview blaq market media did with 15MoF they kept reiterating how smack himself is pushing to bring stakes into the battles. Like winner of the battle gets the back end money type shit.

I think organized judging is a realistic future they just need to come up with a credible system, it can’t be the same judges every time and no politics involved.

I’m for it as long as they come up with a good system. Right now there is no way to fairly and accurately judge battles. Too much bias and favoritism and politics in battle rap.

Too much bias & favoritism will be going on unless they have celebrity judges for the Semi-Finals and Finals for Ultimate Madness. The Crucible could be media/battle rappers but still feel like it would be a bad choice, imo.

My only issue is how do u vote for summin as subjective as music/lyrics in real time?? It might “fuck up” battle rap because tha only thing you’d really be able to judge is shit like “stage presence”, “crowd reaction”, “entertainment value” , shit like that...so in tha end it won’t really matter what’s being said as much as how it’s said, making battle rap even more of a “spectacle”....

Imo tha only way to truly judge a battle is pick a panel of judges and give them a specified time to be able to watch, rewatch and rewatch tha battle and then give an honest breakdown of their voting...so a battle would take place on a Saturday and a “winner” is picked a few days later...

My only issue is how do u vote for summin as subjective as music/lyrics in real time?? It might “fuck up” battle rap because tha only thing you’d really be able to judge is shit like “stage presence”, “crowd reaction”, “entertainment value” , shit like that...so in tha end it won’t really matter what’s being said as much as how it’s said, making battle rap even more of a “spectacle”....

Imo tha only way to truly judge a battle is pick a panel of judges and give them a specified time to be able to watch, rewatch and rewatch tha battle and then give an honest breakdown of their voting...so a battle would take place on a Saturday and a “winner” is picked a few days later...

Only problem with that is they want to incentivize winning in the building. Technically champion is supposed to be the secondary judging system after a thorough breakdown, but the platform is losing credibility.

As far as how do you judge it, judges have to be more nuanced than the average viewer. And i think using a point system is the best way to objectively compare rounds. We’ll see how they go about it.

Only problem with that is they want to incentivize winning in the building. Technically champion is supposed to be the secondary judging system after a thorough breakdown, but the platform is losing credibility.

As far as how do you judge it, judges have to be more nuanced than the average viewer. And i think using a point system is the best way to objectively compare rounds. We’ll see how they go about it.

Shiiiit...just give out tha “performer/performance” of tha night at tha venue lol....not saying you can’t win a battle off that alone but I do think some battlers get away wit’ more “fluff” than “substance” sometimes but again...tha “showmanship” aspect is definitely part of bein’ a battle rapper...so I’m cool with giving out awards on tha night of tha show but if niggaz really want their “just due” for what they said then judging gonna have to happen after a few watches...NOBODY gonna catch ever line 1st listen of a battle

Each battler can each receive points for every bar/punchline that "hits" (which is at the judge's discretion) at the end of each round(like boxing)....so your basically rapping to really kill your opponent and impress the judges, not the fans(therefore outside antics won't 100% work but you also cant center your rhymes around the judges or the judging either like they do Smack)....posturing and staring off into space like you just wrote the hottest shit ain't gonna work....re-rapping the same verse over cuz you thought it was hot shit and niggas didn't hear you is not going to work....pushing and getting aggressive with your opponent....might work for some judge who likes that shit but
for most it aint gonna work.......looking at the crowd to help sway or press the judges is not going to work...YOU HAVE TO RAP.....the judges have to be credible MC's who know what to listen for and have been battle tested but aren't full fledged battle rappers(KRS, Jada, and Em for ex....and switch em up and keep it top secret until the battle to avoid payola) and maybe include a fan vote if the judges declare a draw....Smack also needs to bring all the other leagues in and form this under one uniform umbrella(ala WWE) so everyone can get a fair shot at the crown....there is no bullshit rhetoric after someone clearly loses(no more "it don't count if it aint on URL"....or "i 30'd you in the building but lost on the replay/internet")...no more undefeated niggas either.....idk how they grandfather the older vets and their resumes but they gotta get dirty with the young lions too

Each battler can each receive points for every bar/punchline that "hits" (which is at the judge's discretion) at the end of each round(like boxing)....so your basically rapping to really kill your opponent and impress the judges, not the fans(therefore outside antics won't 100% work but you also cant center your rhymes around the judges or the judging either like they do Smack)....posturing and staring off into space like you just wrote the hottest shit ain't gonna work....re-rapping the same verse over cuz you thought it was hot shit and niggas didn't hear you is not going to work....pushing and getting aggressive with your opponent....might work for some judge who likes that shit but
for most it aint gonna work.......looking at the crowd to help sway or press the judges is not going to work...YOU HAVE TO RAP.....the judges have to be credible MC's who know what to listen for and have been battle tested but aren't full fledged battle rappers(KRS, Jada, and Em for ex....and switch em up and keep it top secret until the battle to avoid payola) and maybe include a fan vote if the judges declare a draw....Smack also needs to bring all the other leagues in and form this under one uniform umbrella(ala WWE) so everyone can get a fair shot at the crown....there is no bullshit rhetoric after someone clearly loses(no more "it don't count if it aint on URL"....or "i 30'd you in the building but lost on the replay/internet")...no more undefeated niggas either.....idk how they grandfather the older vets and their resumes but they gotta get dirty with the young lions too
tenor.gif

I like and use jay blacs point system. Obviously you dont rate the set up individually right so every other bar gets 0-3.. 0 if its nothing worth writing down.. 1 if it was ok, cool.. 2 if yeahh that was hard... 3 if yooo that was crazy. Tally up the points at the end

Give the judges a notepad let them take notes and keep score. You can then even cross compare scores with the other battles that night. It’s not a failsafe method but i also believe thats the best way to do it.

Back