Welcome To aBlackWeb

Facts

I dunno what has me more angry...the fact that the FBI murdered Fred to stop a movement they feared

OR

The fact that they used one of our own to betray him and the BP party

I forgot who said it, but someone pointed out Hammond wasn't killed for the pro-black stuff. He wasn't killed until he tried to form a multi racial coalition. The same happened to MLK.

0917632e450ce31db6bc3cc2415c2b69a4d86bde.gifv

7262f4c34ee69616955fbc27b75d991b787b8dbd.gifv

0875720963cd6c180b0d8cb7c397d8db0f811e65.gifv

8f1a61306f62bcca3aee528fffa818a05bb97ba5.gifv

606e554d5e11fafe08cd93dae906c6c3bbf5c5ed.gifv
47b817de87b0affd64d789880b8d6d708c595d77.gifv
215e5e2eb5126e5f1f9de587163e5e17f7e5e59e.gifv

The casting of Kaluuya as Fred Hampton has caused some controversy. Kaluuya is British and some have displayed disappointment about not having someone born in America to play the role of Hampton. It was a discussion sparked by Samuel L. Jackson in 2017 and it continued when Cynthia Eriv played Harriet.

In a virtual panel that Variety was in attendance for, King talked about the debate. And he defined the decision of choosing Kaluuya:

“I’m well aware of the debate around British actors playing American Black, iconic figures…But I was born in America, my family is Caribbean and I have a South African name so I am, literally, emblematic of a diasporic way of thinking…Kidnapped Africans ended up all around the world…We have a lot more in common than people think, in terms of our experience and trying to overthrow white supremacy.”

Source: https://www.okayplayer.com/culture/judas-and-the-black-messiah-black-panther-trailer.html

I've been seeing this debate on various media sources,and I can see points from both veiwpoints. That being said for ME idgaf about who plays what ,as long as the best actor is chosen. Just from the trailer alone dude look like he killing the role. I dont remember it being an issue when Denzel played Steven biko in Cry Freedom, or Forrest Whitaker playing idi Amin. So is it really an issue with them being British, or the fact they said some insensitive ish about race ?

I have a documentary movie about Mr. Hampton's assassination and it really is sad

He was no joke though. To be so young he really had a gift for rallying the people. I don't think he gets enough credit for how influential he was as a leader.

I definitely understand why some folks wouldn't want to watch this but hopefully the movie isn't going to show false events or be watered down too much because we all know some things are not going to be talked about in the film.
What's the name of the doc fam, I'm tryna watch

ROFL

David Oyelowo (hes British) said he got smoke from some Black Americans for also playing an American (MLK) on screen in Selma ..

Need Jon Boyega and John Washington in this also

I don’t see why all these people care if a black American plays Fred Hampton. He’s still black and the last I checked America don’t give a fuck about us so why should it matter? I’m all for him getting cast this role.

and I wonder if Daniel Kaluuya is gonna face backlash again for not being a black American and getting a role like this

Daniel "I'm bored of talking about racism" Kaluuya starring in another movie about racism in a role that could and should have gone to an American black actor.

I've been saying this for the longest.

It's a horrible dilemma, because he's an excellent actor.

One of the best in the business, but damn.

How tf are U.S. born black actors supposed to get any work???

I don't think enough people realize how Hollywood's freezing them out of the industry.

And it's not just about these foreign born black actors getting work.

It's about them being cast in leading roles that are specific to the black american experience.

I've got a serious problem with that.

I could understand if it was just a few isolated incidents, but this is damn near becoming the norm in Hollywood when it comes to black actors.

Back