Welcome To aBlackWeb

Joint accounts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Should couples use a joint bank account or keep them separate? We're married and we have a joint account. We have a lot of discussions about finances and money. Some of them more intense than others but I can honestly say that if we did not have a joint account and we both had our own accounts that our relationship would be a lot worse. I believe that having the joint account keeps both of us mindful, responsible, and more respectful of each other when it comes to finances.

I feel like only having separate accounts increases the likelihood that one of y'all will eventually try to hide something shady. The joint account keeps everything up front.

• Haha
Reactions: 1/2
I would have a joint account for bills and food. Both parties should have their own bank account as well. You should never have just one account where it is shared.

There is no 'SHOULD'. To each their own. I've never had a joint account with anyone and don't plan to. But it's been extremely easy to handle bills and shit without one, so I don't see the point. Maybe if it was more of an issue, I would feel differently.

My money is her money and her money is my money. And if not, fuck is we even married for?

I know all the horror stories of why not to have joint accounts. But that shit just not for me.

I know married couples who write down all their expenses on vacation so they can split it down the line.

Im always like damn how is yall life that seperate and yall married?

Imagine me having a ton of money and my girl making just enough to pay bills. Or imagine my girl caking and i only make enough to contribute half.

Shit makes no sense to me. Might as well not get married and just live together.

Thats my opinion on the shit.

I feel like only having separate accounts increases the likelihood that one of y'all will eventually try to hide something shady. The joint account keeps everything up front.

im not taking shots or sayings its wrong.....but I dont personally believe in living certain ways in order to "decrease likelihood of humans being humans"

its just a bad way to think imo....if he/she is gonna do something "shady", joint accounts for transparency have nothing to do with it

our bill accounts are in place so when we're out doing our own thing we dont fuck around and dip into some money thats about to be drafted or something....its not about watching purchases at all

she's got bags of cash on her the majority of the time lol

im not taking shots or sayings its wrong.....but I dont personally believe in living certain ways in order to "decrease likelihood of humans being humans"

its just a bad way to think imo....if he/she is gonna do something "shady", joint accounts for transparency have nothing to do with it

our bill accounts are in place so when we're out doing our own thing we dont fuck around and dip into some money thats about to be drafted or something....its not about watching purchases at all

she's got bags of cash on her the majority of the time lol

Yep

If someone wants to hide money they will hide money. In that case a joint account is just a false sense of security. Everything should stay separate imo.

I don't see how when you're married there's a my money and your money. Especially when you're married with kids. When my direct deposit hits it's not my direct deposit. It's ours. I find it harder to manage finances in a marriage when there's a my money and then your money. IMO that's just asking for trouble.

Now we have had multiple joint accounts like for bills or specific expenses before but not no account dedicated to just one persons money. How can I even justify having just my money in a marriage with kids? What if something comes up and we need to sort out who is paying for what? I feel like when you're married any time wasted on delegating who's money goes to what is wasted time. That's y'all money so why not manage it the same way?

people just need to be honest about their spending habits

its going to be a tough convo upfront, but the payoff is going to be a stress free environment where both couples will contribute to the household and still do things they like to do for fun/leisure

A joint account for the bills & household expenses, and a our own separate accounts for personal purchases.

You're all welcome.

So if I make more money than my wife does and we have separate accounts for expenses and she wants to do something but she doesn't have enough money in her separate account does she have to borrow money from me? Or does she just have to find something else to do that she can afford?

• Haha
Reactions: 1/2
So if I make more money than my wife does and we have separate accounts for expenses and she wants to do something but she doesn't have enough money in her separate account does she have to borrow money from me? Or does she just have to find something else to do that she can afford?

That's yall business, bruh. I mind my own.

Back