Welcome To aBlackWeb

Joint accounts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
we discussed joint accounts in another thread. you were in favor, I was against.

you specified that there could be separate accounts for discretionary spending but that household expenses should, in your opinion, go into a joint account.

I strongly disagree with 100% of both incomes going into one account but YMMV

i just feel it cuts down on confusion and wasted energy

who wants to be transferring money to an account for a person they sleep in the same bed with every night? To me, thats just not the best use of my time or energy.

i just feel it cuts down on confusion and wasted energy

who wants to be transferring money to an account for a person they sleep in the same bed with every night? To me, thats just not the best use of my time or energy.
I feel it adds to confusion and wasted energy because it blurs the money that they have a right to spend however tf they want, and the money that they need to allocate toward household expenses. when they're all on the same bank statement, even I'd be tempted to ask why this guy is spending hundreds of dollars on shoes when last week he complained about my 4hr showers running up the water bill. if household expenses are met, the rest of the money being spent is no one's business and differing financial philosophies are no longer an issue.

how?

you have a discussion about what everything costs. BOTH parties benefit from AC, water, roof over head, energy, etc... You put the money there b/c what happens when you need to pay for incidentals type stuff? Normal wear and tear on the house. Maintenance of the yard equipment, etc...ya'll supposed to split that?

You have a right to spend whatever agreed amount that goes into your non discretionary account. This does not require a discussion whatsoever. If she wants to blow her money on purses...cool...he wants to blow his on shoes? cool...

What you are talking about is having all the money AND expenses come out of the same account.

Again, you can have someone make more money, but what if they are bad with money? You just gon pray and hope they have the money for their half of the bills when they're due?

how?

you have a discussion about what everything costs. BOTH parties benefit from AC, water, roof over head, energy, etc... You put the money there b/c what happens when you need to pay for incidentals type stuff? Normal wear and tear on the house. Maintenance of the yard equipment, etc...ya'll supposed to split that?

You have a right to spend whatever agreed amount that goes into your non discretionary account. This does not require a discussion whatsoever. If she wants to blow her money on purses...cool...he wants to blow his on shoes? cool...

What you are talking about is having all the money AND expenses come out of the same account.

Again, you can have someone make more money, but what if they are bad with money? You just gon pray and hope they have the money for their half of the bills when they're due?
you mention the non-discretionary account now, but in another post you said 100% of both incomes goes into the joint account. Which is it? there's a world of difference between having a shared account for the household and 2 separate accounts for personal spending money, and having 1 account for all of the money.

you mention the non-discretionary account now, but in another post you said 100% of both incomes goes into the joint account. Which is it? there's a world of difference between having a shared account for the household and 2 separate accounts for personal spending money, and having 1 account for all of the money.

i worded my position poorly

im sorry
#newAP

basically what i was getting at is i'm not down with the people in the relationship actually splitting the cost of anything as they are shared costs. Its not like only ONE person takes baths, or ONE person can turn the AC on just in the room they are in. The wife may never do ANYTHING outside, BUT, in order to maintain the yard (assuming they dont pay anyone), you are going to have to spend money occasionally on equipment and things to keep the equipment in good shape. That's HER yard too b/c i'm sure she likes coming home to a nicely groomed yard.

mark-henry-finger_zpsq8almtwc.gif

We can have a joint strictly for bills. Another for if that's agreed on but still have our own separate accounts.

Back