Welcome To aBlackWeb

It's New Years Eve 11:59:59 - What Song Would You Play?

giphy.gif

Damn

But I never heard any Encore besides the one by Jay

Forreal. I never heard that shit.

Cheryl Lyn is the same chick that sang Got To Be Real, which I'm sure you've heard a billion times. Encore was produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. It was an R&B hit in the early 80s, it reached #1 on the R&B charts but it only reached #69 on the top 40 chart.

It's a great song in general but chicks in particular love it. Its the type of song that will have every girl on the dance floor by the second verse.

Anyway, here's her other classic song, Got To Be Real;

Here's a good early 80s playlist of songs with female vocals

Encore - Cheryl Lynn
All Night Long - Mary Jane Girls
Somebody Else's Guy - Jocelyn Brown
Heartbeat - Taana Gardner
Genius Of Love - Tom Tom Club
Ain't Nobody - Chaka Khan
Jump To It - Aretha Franklin
Are You Single - Aurra
Love Come Down - Evelyn Champagne King
Juicy Fruit - Mtume
Muscles - Diana Ross
Forget Me Nots - Patrice Rushen
Feels So Real - Patrice Rushen
If Only You Knew - Patti Labelle
Save The Overtime - Gladys Knight & The Pips
The Jones Girls - Who Can I Run To (1979)
I Want To Thank You - Alicia Myers

^^^^ You can keep a Grown & Sexy crowd on the dance floor all night if you play those songs.

The secret to Djing is to play for the ladies. If the ladies are having a good time the guys will stay, but if you're playing Canibus, Gang Starr and Big L for the fellas the girls will leave because that's not what girls want to hear at a party. And as soon as the girls leave, the guys will leave because there's no girls there.

It took me a while to figure that out.

You can play 1 or two songs for fellas but 90% of what you play has to be for the ladies or they will literally walk out.

Guys won't walk out of a club if you play for the ladies....because the ladies are having a good time on the dance floor.

Last edited:
Back