Welcome To aBlackWeb

IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

What would you like to see in IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At my current job, I have a daily meeting with the project manager. He always seems stressed lol but I know the pay is good

lol word. It seems like a lot dealing with everybody.

Having done development work under PMs with technical backgrounds and non-technical backgrounds. Id much prefer a PM that has an understanding of what devs gotta actually deal with.. hence me leaning in that direction at some point

lol word. It seems like a lot dealing with everybody.

Having done development work under PMs with technical backgrounds and non-technical backgrounds. Id much prefer a PM that has an understanding of what devs gotta actually deal with.. hence me leaning in that direction at some point

You know what’s interesting? I started this job in March 2021. A week after that, a project manager was hired to help with using a new mailing system. He quit 6 months later and our new project manager is leaving after this week. Hmmm

You know what’s interesting? I started this job in March 2021. A week after that, a project manager was hired to help with using a new mailing system. He quit 6 months later and our new project manager is leaving after this week. Hmmm

In my experience non-technical PMs arent too good at

1) explaining to the stakeholders what needs to take place and why things need to happen they way they do
2) explaining to the people actually doing the work what the stakeholders requirements are in order to get the job done correctly

Some organizations like to keep the developers insulated and away from all of that but if they(folks actually doing the work) arent in the room when these conversations are happening shit can go left real quick

In my experience non-technical PMs arent too good at

1) explaining to the stakeholders what needs to take place and why things need to happen they way they do
2) explaining to the people actually doing the work what the stakeholders requirements are in order to get the job done correctly

Some organizations like to keep the developers insulated and away from all of that but if they(folks actually doing the work) arent in the room when these conversations are happening shit can go left real quick

Gotcha. The first guy I thought did a terrible job but the one that’s leaving seemed more friendly. Seems with like a job like that, you gotta be more of a people person

2022 a few days away. What’s y’all 2022 career goals??

I know I know. Said I would go for the azure certification but I’m not motivated to learn it. So I’m going for the google IT certification since I can get it done asap. After that, Security+ and then the CCNA. Hoping to do all this by the end of the year. Not fully into IT at my job but I’m basically doing it part time along with my mail job. They bought a suite across from us so they’re gonna need another IT person so that hopefully will happen soon
I'm late but I finally stopped fucking around and started on my PMP certification route. Found myself a mentor a cat I used to work with ironically. He reached out on LinkedIn on some let's catch up and we struck up convo about our current tittles in the work space. He's a PMO (Product Manager of Operation basically he's who Pam's report to) and I'm a PM (project manager). He has his PMP certification (Project Manager Professional) and he's making damn near 220k with that cert.

I had to quit bullshitting and get on my grind. I'm going to go for the the test in late May early June. I'm trying to get into IT project management because that's where the money is and eventually slide into PMO title.

Also going after a Cloud cert as well.

My company I started had a rocky start but it's been moving along. Just got notified that I have some decommission jobs that I awarded starting in the middle Jan early Feb. All that is going to a site taking out the old routers and switches and batteries scanning them out and shipping them back to the customer. That's $2500-5000 per job and so far I got 6 jobs awarded and 23 more are out there to grab.

Nah, I'm good on it. Right now I'm just looking to expand my consulting business and ultimately get into fed contracts. That's where the long money is.
I have a connect I can link you with he's in VA. Don't know what he got going on but he does nothing but Fed contracts and making long money doing so

I have a connect I can link you with he's in VA. Don't know what he got going on but he does nothing but Fed contracts and making long money doing so

Good looking. I wanna get at least my Red Hat cert and the CEH before I start bidding on fed contracts tho. Gotta get my name looking more "official", if you get my drift.

Man you and I both. I finally quit playing tho found a mentor to keep me motivated and foot on my neck. I am studying 2hrs a day on this till I get this locked down.

@Old Man Cain what course/courses are you taking if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking at these courses:

and this learning path

Damn... I didn't know just how cheap it is to get an Azure cert. Free self-paced training and only $100 for the test. I took a look 'cause one of my clients asked me to check into it 'cause he's moving all of his clients to Azure and he's going to need someone that can fuck with it.

Same for AWS Cloud Practitioner; free self paced training, $100 for the cert. Another one of my clients has all his shit in AWS.

Now I'm mad 'cause I coulda BEEN done had these shits.

Damn... I didn't know just how cheap it is to get an Azure cert. Free self-paced training and only $100 for the test. I took a look 'cause one of my clients asked me to check into it 'cause he's moving all of his clients to Azure and he's going to need someone that can fuck with it.

Same for AWS Cloud Practitioner; free self paced training, $100 for the cert. Another one of my clients has all his shit in AWS.

Now I'm mad 'cause I coulda BEEN done had these shits.

Lol just do them. Took me an arm and a leg to take azure. Didn’t pass unfortunately

@Old Man Cain what course/courses are you taking if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking at these courses:

and this learning path
I linked up with a old coworker and he turned me on to a PMP exam prep he attended. It's a boot camp course that study nothing but the test answers.

Dude gave me a course that's 1500 bucks for free. He's apart of group brothers that try to get more black people into tech and PMP

I linked up with a old coworker and he turned me on to a PMP exam prep he attended. It's a boot camp course that study nothing but the test answers.

Dude gave me a course that's 1500 bucks for free. He's apart of group brothers that try to get more black people into tech and PMP
This the cat thats in VA? If so man I need an intro…I want to get my PMP

@Old Man Cain you said in a previous thread that you wanted some of our help sometime this year with IT work. Is it related to what you’re doing with the pulling of the routers and switches from businesses?

@Old Man Cain you said in a previous thread that you wanted some of our help sometime this year with IT work. Is it related to what you’re doing with the pulling of the routers and switches from businesses?
Oh yeah. Got a guy I'm dealing with that's trying to score a major contract with a energy company for pulling cable, pulling old equipment and turning up equipment all down southeast from Charlotte to Miami.

If he wins the contract I'll be doing some of the NC SC work but GA and FL will need people. Ready money figured I would holla at you guys to make that money.

When it happen I'll let y'all know

Back