Welcome To aBlackWeb

IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

What would you like to see in IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dont know if you all know about it but Google has the IT course work on Coursera. It is 5 courses that take about a month each to complete. You can literally finish in a month if you are just at home doing nothing. You can get scholarships from Coursera or other sites.

Also if you are under 25. there company initiatives out right now that can get you into training programs. My wife just said her company is paying $70,000 starting off for Computer Science degrees.

Cheap ways to get a at home Cert in college courses is Edx and Cousera. Also https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/deep-learning-ai/education/
Deep learning is the new data collection courses going around. Check out the link.
Dice.com is a job search site that I frequent.

Happy hunting

Nvidia with a cert course, very nice!!

Anyone dealing with cloud design/ devops? Im thinking of leaving the networking side, and curious how hard the transition would be.

Ive just completed my CCNA and will soon be starting MCSE: Cloud platform and infrastructure cert. MS's Azure has emerged as a major figure in the enterprise cloud business. its grown to the point of having the 2nd highest market share behind AWS

You sound like your on a similar path to me. only im not trying to leave the networking side of things completely perse, just to expand and build on the current achievements and credentials ive already acquired. because in today's IT world, you have to wear many hats and be proficient in many areas just to stay competitive. as far as the degree of difficulty in the transition? well i can't speak on AWS's certification path or VmWare's, but if you going the route of trying to obtain Microsoft's cloud cert, some networking concepts will be incorporated into the curriculum, so the transition shouldn't be that foreign

Last edited:
Islington_College_Multimedia_Lab.jpg

Education

I know it's been awhile since I've posted anything, been busy on my end.

But I wanted to talk to you guys about education in the Computer Science industry. It was one of the most requested topics to talk about and today I wanted to share with you some links and resources that could help you on your journey.

MOOCs

MOOC stands for Massively Open Online Courses, the online courses that you are taking now paid or free all fall under this category. MOOCs have been on the rise since 2008 with providers like Lynda.com started sharing courses for people to learn on their own time. With the introduction of new generation providers such as Udemy, Udacity, edx, Coursera, etc., they have completely changed the education needle and have even decreased college attendance rates. With the growth of these online courses, universities such as MIT, Harvard, Ashford, and many others have provided their classrooms for the internet public.

Here are a few links, also keep in mind that things will most likely change in the wake of the Net Neutrality repeal:

For a list of different platforms, go to:

EDX

Edx provides great courses that cover Math, Data Science, Computer Science,etc. Check their list at:

http://mooc.org/

Coursera

Coursera is another provider that is taking over the education industry, you could find them at

https://www.coursera.org/

As I mentioned in the first post, companies are now providing on demand and classroom training to get hired in the industry. So you definitely have to check those out. Cisco is one of the biggest, but there's also....

Mapr_logo.png

If you would like to learn about Cloud technology using Hadoop, MapReduce, and Apache Spark, this is the center for you:

https://mapr.com/training/

I've been focused on ReactJS training course myself on Udemy, but here is Jose Garcia from CodingPhase.com with a list of top 10 courses on Udemy for Web Developers:

There's plenty of directions to go to, but for now check out these resources and throughout this thread I'll post interesting links and resources.

SQL is such an easy language to learn lol

Eh yea sorta but it really depends on what you're using the language for. What type of database are you using (MSSQL, NoSQL, PostresSQL, etc), does it need to be server rendered for a back-end, is your job to analyze the database, build out and maintain the database, etc.

Those are questions I'd be asking before I classify something as easy. Because the hiring manager is gonna test you on the whiteboard on what you know.

Yo, I am about to hit this federal shit hard. I am tired of BS'ing with this career switch.

One thing about anything government/federal = job security (for the most part barring any furloughs)

I worked for the FAA for almost three years before following my career goals.

So I wanna transition to an IT career but I have no experience nor any certs but I have a little CIS degree. I wanna find the easiest way in so I can get a foot in the door..any suggestions?

So I wanna transition to an IT career but I have no experience nor any certs but I have a little CIS degree. I wanna find the easiest way in so I can get a foot in the door..any suggestions?

Help Desk is typically ground zero as to where IT is concerned. I mean there are other areas, but most careers start with a position where you basically learning everything. From my perspective, it has the highest volume of people leaving and getting in of any IT positions.

Start there and then start doing career path research

Help Desk is typically ground zero as to where IT is concerned. I mean there are other areas, but most careers start with a position where you basically learning everything. From my perspective, it has the highest volume of people leaving and getting in of any IT positions.

Start there and then start doing career path research
Thank you.

Check this video out! As we work on our careers and jobs, we have to understand that it is a lifetime journey and that sometimes it takes years to accomplish our true goals.

I like Dan Lok's perspective of making your first $100K

I‘ve been interested in Cyber Security for years & I’m shooting for a BS in Cyber Security & IA. I plan on enrolling in WGU in the next few weeks. They have certs you can get within their curriculum. Seeing this thread helped out a lot.

I‘ve been interested in Cyber Security for years & I’m shooting for a BS in Cyber Security & IA. I plan on enrolling in WGU in the next few weeks. They have certs you can get within their curriculum. Seeing this thread helped out a lot.

Not a problem, great to hear that. When I was going to community college, Lynda.com wasn't as requested as a MOOC back then. In 2011 when I started my first real IT job, that's when the MOOCs started gaining more traction. Use the option of not only WGU, but other materials outside of the classroom, it will help you retain the information better because you are learning it from a different style and resource.

Not Sure if I touched on this, but on the subject of Cyber Security, Cybrary is a great source for this field.

https://www.cybrary.it/

From about page
https://www.cybrary.it/about/

Cybrary launched on January 13, 2015. Our goal is to provide the opportunity to learn Cyber Security, to anyone, anywhere, who wants that opportunity. We believe everyone deserves an opportunity, and that opportunities should not be limited to people who “win the birth lottery”. Fortunately, the internet enables us to do this. We are working to make the cyber security industry a more level playing field where everyone has the educational tools they need to be competent and confident. Cybrary is a growing community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

In other words, we are creating the ability to bring all the best cyber security learning elements and content together, from the people who are doing it, the people who have done it, the people who have learned from it and the companies that are innovating on it, and deliver that for free to anyone who needs or wants to learn from it.

Back