Welcome To aBlackWeb

IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

What would you like to see in IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Experience used to trump certs and degrees but as of late them certs are what's going to get you paid. This job I got they was looking for PMP certified person but 20+ yrs of telecom construction knowledge and Computer science degree got me the interview and i won them over. Still I should be getting a buck 30 instead of what they paying. I'm doing well but I needs my coins b
Big facts

when you get that cert you gonna have a big bag OG

Let me ask y’all. Would getting a Project + certification be better than N+? I’m asking because something happened to me recently

Experience used to trump certs and degrees but as of late them certs are what's going to get you paid. This job I got they was looking for PMP certified person but 20+ yrs of telecom construction knowledge and Computer science degree got me the interview and i won them over. Still I should be getting a buck 30 instead of what they paying. I'm doing well but I needs my coins b

Man if I remember correctly, that PMP cert is hard as fuck to get.

Its not just passing the test, you gotta prove a certain amount of hours worked as a PM right?

Or was that the advanced cert?

And man, I dont have a degree and only got one fake ass java cert that they paid for me to get last year.

If certs become an even bigger deal, im assed out.

Luckily degrees are pretty much dead in development. Nobody asks for or cares if you have a degree

Man if I remember correctly, that PMP cert is hard as fuck to get.

Its not just passing the test, you gotta prove a certain amount of hours worked as a PM right?

Or was that the advanced cert?
You have to have proven hours of project management, the test is 4hrs long the pass/fail ratio is high as fuck and to top it off the price of the test is high as fuck and non-refundable

Let me ask y’all. Would getting a Project + certification be better than N+? I’m asking because something happened to me recently
For networking I would just get the CCNA. Not saying that Network+ is a bad cert...but in the Networking world CCNA is the standard

not necessarily sure about Project+ tho. OG Cain can proly speak more about that than I can

Depends on the career role you want to take. Are you a PM or trying to be one? If not trying to be one Project+ might not be the route to go down. Network+ will open a lot of doors on the government side and most weighted IT cert under the Cisco ones

The difference is Network+ is not vendor specific it shows you have a basic understanding of general networking

CCNA is Cisco specific, however obtaining this it is already understood that you have a good base knowledge of Networking.

most networking environments are Cisco or a derivative of Cisco....thats why its the standard

Depends on the career role you want to take. Are you a PM or trying to be one? If not trying to be one Project+ might not be the route to go down. Network+ will open a lot of doors on the government side and most weighted IT cert under the Cisco ones

I’m asking because I got an email from one of my old colleges about a program called rapid credentials where if I’m admitted, I get to take a few classes for free. Here’s the curriculum:

26DA009F-58A4-4A58-A908-3D9EDFF9D72F.png

I’m asking because I got an email from one of my old colleges about a program called rapid credentials where if I’m admitted, I get to take a few classes for free. Here’s the curriculum:

View attachment 415908
Shit bruh take all of them I tell everyone get certified in anything you can get certified in. The homie @Duwop turned me on to the Google certs and I'm about to grab those certs as well

There's some cats on Youtube that has some good material. Also udemy.com has a cheap course that will teach on how to pass the cert exam.

Crazy I've been doing PM work off and on 4yrs but without that cert that's costing me easily 40-50k in salary.

I don't like that shit cuz I don't like that one bit!!!

tenor.gif

Yah i've been more on the development side for most of my career but lately due to poor management and lack of resources i've been getting more and more into project management/business analyst type work in addition to development.

I only have beef with project managers that dont understand the tech.. so If you have both.. seems like a winning combination which is where I think i'm headed eventually

Yah i've been more on the development side for most of my career but lately due to poor management and lack of resources i've been getting more and more into project management/business analyst type work in addition to development.

I only have beef with project managers that dont understand the tech.. so If you have both.. seems like a winning combination which is where I think i'm headed eventually

So you would make the jump from developing to PM if you could?

Funny shit is, thats whats happening to me too. They trying to push me into a broader leadership role, where im just delegating shit. I hate that shit. Admin work is not for me.

I like being a technical lead with a group of developers and being hands on coding while giving them assignments.

My company been pushing me on taking a more managorial (fuck spelling) for a minute now, and I aint having that cause managers get no respect. They stay getting yelled at by business and integration level people, and make the same money as non managers.

Fuck all that. Im good with not spending my day on calls.

So you would make the jump from developing to PM if you could?

Funny shit is, thats whats happening to me too. They trying to push me into a broader leadership role, where im just delegating shit. I hate that shit. Admin work is not for me.

I like being a technical lead with a group of developers and being hands on coding while giving them assignments.

My company been pushing me on taking a more managorial (fuck spelling) for a minute now, and I aint having that cause managers get no respect. They stay getting yelled at by business and integration level people, and make the same money as non managers.

Fuck all that. Im good with not spending my day on calls.

lol I fuckin hate meetings/calls all day and would much rather spend the day not being bothered by anyone and just coding.

My personal situation though is that these guys are pretty slow picking up new tech... and web development changes so quickly.. even if I try to stay ahead of the curve in my current job I cant implement it cuz they are so slow to change.. so I figure if i'm gonna stay here rather than learning all this shit I wont get the opportunity to use... might make more sense for me to get certified in something I can take anywhere.

Might be my distaste with poor management making me want to get into management lol.

lol I fuckin hate meetings/calls all day and would much rather spend the day not being bothered by anyone and just coding.

My personal situation though is that these guys are pretty slow picking up new tech... and web development changes so quickly.. even if I try to stay ahead of the curve in my current job I cant implement it cuz they are so slow to change.. so I figure if i'm gonna stay here rather than learning all this shit I wont get the opportunity to use... might make more sense for me to get certified in something I can take anywhere.

Might be my distaste with poor management making me want to get into management lol.

I feel you fam. Get it how you can.

Bruhhhhh I'm in meetings all day and I legit hate talking to people lol but i'm in a management role so I have to do it. I've told my guys we're not having a meeting every morning no more starting Jan. going forward one meeting Wed and one Friday. If niggas don't know how to handle the work then leave ASAP so I can get someone in your roles. I'm not holding no grown ass adults hand.

I'm at the moment drafting up a outline I want my techs and engineers to follow before even asking me a question about anything. Last dude who had my role baby sat these niggas not me b. I'll get you a start and finish date I plan on not speaking to you again before or after those dates. FOH i got ABW businesses to attend to

Back