Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

Ehhh

I think that's a very oversimplistic way of stating that

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

If black ppl just killed ourselves it would be any black ppl because some how white folks got their claws in Africa too.

Word to my South Africans that took their shit back instead of killing themselves

Yeah, I'm just getting caught up on y'all's opinions on these MCU flicks, esp since I recently got to peep some of the recent ones I missed this past Holidays. The real question is EVERYONE ELSE GOOD?

Du-rag was trying to make his prediction come true by making this thread 100 pgs. strong, and he was just 2 pgs. shy of that goal. I felt he made a good point about Black folks overdoing it, what with the "Coming To America" costumes and going to the Theatres with BBQ/Fried Fish plates and shit, but that didn't take away from this being a excellent flick.

The main thing I took away from it is how inspirational it was. As a Visual Artist who finds inspiration in everything, as well as learning Computer Technology on my own, I can totally see Black People turning the 'hood into a modern-day Wakanda, esp with all the tools at our disposal. I know of several ideas/projects I want to experiment with just as soon as I get myself a new Laptop. Something like this is definitely tangible, as Nipsey Hussel proved with his Smart Store. The Youth do need to know that we can be more than Athletes, Entertainers, or Criminals to be successful, and STEM programs can prove that. Whether the curriculum will reflect the infinite possibilities of these tangibilities is up for discussion.

This nigga called me du-rag

I know I was wilding, but if y'all still can't see dropping this during February was a precise marketing strategy.....

Cool flick though.... I still fucks with it

"STEM" is "STEAM" now,the A is for Art

Oh, Word! That's wassup!

I keep forgetting to post this one Artist's work, a South Afrikan named Loyoso Mkize. He specializes in Oil Paintings, but he also has a Comic Book series called "Kwezi", and the artwork is impressive. I need to cop some issues. Here are links to his IG accts:

This nigga called me du-rag

I know I was wilding, but if y'all still can't see dropping this during February was a precise marketing strategy.....

Cool flick though.... I still fucks with it

Nah, Big Homie, all jokes aside, I hear you. I know a Marketing scheme when I see one, and this was so obvious even Stevie Wonder could see that shit.

convo from another thread, but i personally think that what's happening with this film is no small feat.

Goldie thinks all Marvel is doing is exploiting black culture. I dont see how this is exploiting where you have black director, majority black cast, black writers, etc...

thoughts
Black Panther already existed so how can it exploit anything?

This thread is old but really lol.

Don't know or care to know what the thread may have morphed into but to answer the question in the title.

NO not at all.

Special moments are not defined to what any one individual gives a fuck about.

If you are black and didn't vote for Obama in 08, that doesn't mean the majority of blacks, which DID vote for him, didn't feel like it was a special moment.

Same with Black Panther and the numbers and visuals don't lie.

It actually was. Regardless of who took home the majority of the film’s profits, consider this:

Marvel Studios has been owned by Disney since 2010. Disney is a major media conglomerate. They spent at least a hundred million dollars to create a film celebrating the potential of Black men and women, where a nation was depicted as being the best of us, hired an excellent Black cast to bring it to life, and attached the film to the most successful franchise vehicle since Star Wars which will allow sequels to continue on that celebration.

It actually was. Regardless of who took home the majority of the film’s profits, consider this:

Marvel Studios has been owned by Disney since 2010. Disney is a major media conglomerate. They spent at least a hundred million dollars to create a film celebrating the potential of Black men and women, where a nation was depicted as being the best of us, hired an excellent Black cast to bring it to life, and attached the film to the most successful franchise vehicle since Star Wars which will allow sequels to continue on that celebration.

but niggas mad paper boi bout to be a gay superhero lol

Back