Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is It Possible To Discontinue Streaming?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Yeah I know streaming is great because you can put the mp3 on your phone and in your car, yada, yada, yada.

But if you ask me, it doesn't work.

You have absolutely no idea if a record is successful or unsuccessful. A computer hacker can figure out a way to make it appear that a song, or album, is getting millions (even billions) of streams. Katy Perry has a song called Roar that has over a billion streams. But I don't believe it because the song is boring.

A few weeks ago I posted all of the songs that went diamond and 9/10ths of them came out in the streaming era.

I liked the original iTunes model. You could pay $0.99 for an mp3 of a song.

But I don't like the Spotify/Tidal/Google Play/Apple Music model where you can stream an album and it counts as a sale, or half a sale, or whatever their formula is. New music is getting inflated numbers and I just don't believe that new music is selling more than older music. Because an old song, like, say, Dear Mama sold whatever it sold when it came out, plus whatever it sold every year thereafter.

It would stand to reason that Dear Mama would have outsold Old Town Road because it's been around longer, but Old Town Road is diamond and Dear Mama is Platinum (according to wiki)

Does anybody here really believe that Old Town Road has more sales/streams than Dear Mama?

Gangam style is 5x platinum so yes streaming works and yes I believe Old Town Road has more sales and streams than Dear Mama

your opinion is one of millions and billions
so even though you think Katy Perry new song is boring, there is a bunch of people out there who think otherwise.
streaming is not going anywhwere, however the false numbers are getting fluffed the fuck outta here. Singles also work differently from 1995.
You absolutely do have a way of figuring out if a record is successful or not, look at the case of Dave East.
And no computer hackers are not currently making it appear that certain songs have billions of streams because like i said earlier
They fixing the system.

You sound butthurt that Baby Shark is selling more records than Tupac did

Wouldn't it make sense that older music has sold more because it's been around longer?

You really believe Katy Perry sold more than I Will Always Love You or The Greatest Love Of All by Whitney Houston?

It's entirely too easy to pad the numbers when it comes to streaming. Waaaaay too easy.

If you wanted to inflate the numbers for physical units, you had to get the record company to lie, which wasn't easily done. The other way was to actually buy the units yourself if you had the money to pull it off. These days you pay a Chinese click-farm and you got millions of streams instantly.

You have absolutely no idea if a record is successful or unsuccessful. A computer hacker can figure out a way to make it appear that a song, or album, is getting millions (even billions) of streams. Katy Perry has a song called Roar that has over a billion streams. But I don't believe it because the song is boring.

who the fuck cares? if you like the music then cool if not, play something else. Why does it matter if you know ahead of time whether the song is successful?

who the fuck cares? if you like the music then cool if not, play something else. Why does it matter if you know ahead of time whether the song is successful?

In theory, this is the truth, however that's not how the masses assess whether or not they're even going to give a song a shot. If it's reported that the latest single by the latest "big" artist has done serious numbers, the average person is more willing to give it a listen as opposed to it being reported to have only had mediocre streams and purchases.

Back