Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Is Bone Thugs N Harmony A Top 5 Rap Group?

Is Bone a Top 5 Rap Group?

• Total voters
No one was harmonizing on tracks before bone.

^^ I think you have a point here

No one was doing the double time flow before bone.

^^ There were artists doing it before bone like Jaz-O with his song "The Originators" featuring Jay-Z (1990), Organized Konfusion's "Releasing Hypnotical Gases" (1991), Twista's "Mr. Tung Twista" (1992), Fu-Schnickens' "Ring the Alarm" (1991). Just to name a few.

No one od talking about weed until bone did it. (Chronic has some lines here and there)

^^ This is also not true. LL Cool J made a reference to it with the line "Roll up a fat one and pass it around / Laid back, hypnotized by the funky sound,” on the song "Boomin' System on 1990's "Mama Said Knock You Out" album.

Most importantly you cannot forget Cypress Hill. Their self titled debut album (that came out in 1991) alone made plenty of weed references with songs like "Light Another," "Stoned Is the Way of the Walk," and "Something for the Blunted."

Can't forget about Redman's 1992 debut "Whut the Album," with songs like "Sessed One Night" and "How to Roll a Blunt."

No one was rapping about being thugs and what not until bone.

^^ I get what you're trying to say here but the hardcore element of hip hop was there before bone came out. The "thug" label wasn't attached to it yet. Schoolly D (1985's PSK- which is considered the first hardcore single) comes to mind.

Once again, I don't hate BTNH nor do I dislike them. This is a cool discussion though.

No @5grand
Aa my first challenger
ether glasses.gif

Chip fu and Twista were rapping very fast around that time. However they Twista wasn't mainstream at the time and as coherent as Bone.

And no one started smoking because of those helium sounding faux Mexican hip hop hippies

g1GrTPN.gif

And the hardcore hip hop was out when they started calling them self thugs. Remember that NWA had already split and G-funk was in full effect.

Not one person walking this earth is crusin around bumping schooly D.

They had a distinctive look that no one either was rocking at that time. No group was wearing fros and harmonizing about ouija boards and murder.

Now that I think about it. Bone was the first ones to name AK's and other guns in the rhymes constantly. Some were naming them there and there.

Now everybody is shouting out what guns they have.

Only rap group to make songs with dead legends such as Eazy, Pac, Pun, ODB and Biggie.

And Bone can still sell out stadiums worldwide. Seen them twice in San bernadino and in Spain.

Both were sold out stadiums.

Last edited:
Aa my first challenger
View attachment 151178

Chip fu and Twista were rapping very fast around that time. However they Twista wasn't mainstream at the time and as coherent as Bone.

^^ This doesn't make any sense. You mean to tell the two acts who either did the double time flow before or at the same time as Bone was incoherent and Bone were the ones everyone could understand? It doesn't matter if Twista was mainstream or not. Bone wasn't the innovators of that flow. I just gave you prior example of those who did it before them.

As a matter of fact, the beginning of the article and the interviewer's first question confirms that there were people who couldn't understand BTNH.

And no one started smoking because of those helium sounding faux Mexican hip hop junkies

^^ Just because you feel that way doesn't make it true. No one said they STARTED smoking weed because of Cypress Hill. You said that no one was rhyming about it until they did. You already proved my point when you first mentioned the chronic (you said there were lines here and there...that's ridiculous when the outro is called the roach). Nobody believes that no one was rapping about smoking weed until bone started rapping about it.

And the hardcore hip hop was out when they started calling them self thugs. Remember that NWA had already split and G-funk was in full effect.

^^ Mere semantics. It was the mid 90s and everybody talked about catching bodies, drugs and fucking bitches except for ATCQ and De la soul just to name a few. Hardcore rap was the thing to rap about to be heard and to be taken seriously. That's why we have those who lived it and those who pretended to live it. As a matter of fact, that's why we have movies like CB4 (RIP Charlie Murphy) and songs like shook ones.

ThoseTastyLamprey-size_restricted.gif

^^ Maybe not now. PSK started off as a local hit (Philadelphia) that turned into a nationally recognized one. Somebody was listening to it.

They had a distinctive look that no one either was rocking at that time. No group was wearing fros and harmonizing about ouija boards and murder.

^^ Jerseys, baggy jeans, boots, dickies and sunglasses...yep no one was wearing them before bone. Shit even Hammer did it. I'll give you the harmonizing and the ouija boards but murder...come on man, you can't possibly believe bone did that first.

Now that I think about it. Bone was the first ones to name AK's and other guns in the rhymes constantly. Some were naming them there and there.

^^ You and I both know this doesn't make any sense. You mentioned the chronic in your last post. The last time I checked there were all types of gun bussing and AK-47s on that album. Once again, it was the mid 90s and everybody talked about catching bodies, drugs and fucking bitches except for ATCQ and De la soul.

Only rap group to make songs with dead legends such as Eazy, Pac, Pun, ODB and Biggie.

^^ This helped the label owners and the dead rapper's estate (or whoever owned the rights to the catalog) more than anything because they had to ok the posthumous collaboration (maybe except for Notorious thugs but probably for Spit ya Game).

And Bone can still sell out stadiums worldwide. Seen them twice in San bernadino and in Spain.

The Wu-Tang Clan and a few other groups has done that and continues to do so. What is your point? Still doesn't make bone innovators or the best group of all time. They're beefed with twista over a flow that's not theirs and started something with Migos for almost the same thing (what GOAT group does that?)

Both were sold out stadiums.

Everything you said is CONJECTURE and doesn't support your argument. Where are the facts to bolster your claims?

The only thing that barely supports your argument is the poll at the top of the thread.

Last edited:

^^ This doesn't make any sense. You mean to tell me the two acts who either did the double time flow before or at the same time as Bone were incoherent and Bone were the ones everyone could understand? It doesn't matter if Twista was mainstream or not. Bone wasn't the innovators of that flow. I just gave you prior examples of those who did it before them.

As a matter of fact, the beginning of the article and the interviewer's first question confirms that there were people who couldn't understand BTNH.

And no one started smoking because of those helium sounding faux Mexican hip hop junkies

^^ Just because you feel that way doesn't make it true. No one said they STARTED smoking weed because of Cypress Hill. You said that no one was rhyming about it until Bone did it. You already proved my point when you first mentioned the chronic (you said there were lines here and there...that's ridiculous when the outro is called the roach). Nobody believes that no one was rapping about smoking weed until bone started rapping about it.

^^ Mere semantics. It was the mid 90s and everybody talked about catching bodies, drugs and fucking bitches except for ATCQ and De la soul just to name a few. G-Funk literally means "Gangsta Funk." What's the difference between Gangsta Rap and Thug Rap (serious question)? Hardcore rap was the thing to rap about to be heard and to be taken seriously. That's why we have those who lived it and those who pretended to live it. As a matter of fact, that's why we have movies like CB4 (RIP Charlie Murphy) and songs like shook ones.

ThoseTastyLamprey-size_restricted.gif

^^ Maybe not now. PSK started off as a local hit (Philadelphia) that turned into a nationally recognized one. Somebody was listening to it.

^^ Jerseys, baggy jeans, boots, dickies and sunglasses...yep no one was wearing them before bone. Shit even Hammer did it. I'll give you the harmonizing and the ouija boards but murder...come on man, you can't possibly believe bone did that first.

^^ You and I both know this doesn't make any sense. You mentioned the chronic in your last post. The last time I checked there were all types of gun bussing and AK-47s on that album. Once again, it was the mid 90s and everybody talked about catching bodies, drugs and fucking bitches except for ATCQ and De la soul.

^^ This helped the label owners and the dead rapper's estate (or whoever owned the rights to the catalog) more than anything because they had to ok the posthumous collaboration (maybe except for Notorious thugs but probably for Spit ya Game).

^^ The Wu-Tang Clan and a few other groups has done that and continues to do so. What is your point? Still doesn't make bone innovators or the best group of all time. They've beefed with Twista over a flow that's not theirs and started something with Migos for almost the same thing (what GOAT group does that?)

Last edited:
Spoonie G and the Treacherous Three were doing speed rap as early as 1980. Bone Thugs were definitely faster and sound different, but they weren't the first ones to come up with the idea of rapping faster (or twice as fast) as the other rappers in their era.

As far as influence and creativity goes, Thuggish Ruggish Bone sounds like it could have been on The Chronic, or Doggystyle. It sounds just like what Dr Dre was doing around that time. And considering Eazy E signed them, I'm inclined to believe that Easy saw what Dre was doing and used that style with Bone.

I never really got into Bone Thugs, I bought their Greatest Hits album and it was cool, but I wouldn't consider them one of my favorites. They're cool though. I don't have anything negative to say about them.

I will admit that they absolutely destroyed The Points Remix.

They go in @ 5:54

Last edited:
Aa u back for more? Nh

ether glasses.gif

I see.

I wrote those dead rappers because they were ALIVE when bone made songs with them. None were posthumous.

I've seen Wu live twice and Bone live twice. Both were in the us and Europe.

Guess who had the bigger stage? Who was sold out.

Guess which one them has a Grammy?

Reason why I said the shit with smoking is because we spoke about influence, Bone got alot of people to smoke. I went back and forth to Europe, us and I've visited africa. Never seen such a cult as bone.

And so many potheads that say bone influenced them to smoke as weird as it sounds. Which in part means Cypress hills constant talk of weed did not influence fans worldwide such as bone.

Bone influenced alot of people to rap fast as well because they were the biggest one doing it.

U seem to forget this thread is about influence and not about who did what first.

Ice-T might've been first out with west coast gangsta rap but that nigga garbo. So when NWA came out it took the world by storm. Hence influencing the rest of the world. Even Eazy E gets called the godfather of gangsta rap...but wasn't schooly d and Iceberg before him?

Influence b.

Bone single handedly put Cleveland on the map.

And everybody was calling them self Gs in the 90s but no one was running with this thug shit until pac stole it from bone.

Mfs Just used to say they were bad.

All the shit I said in my last post was about influence and who popularized it. Not who was first.

T-pain made autotune popular, and every artist that came out with autotune we used to call a tpain clone. Even when future first came out.

But that doesn't mean roger troutman wasn't doing it

Spoonie G and the Treacherous Three were doing speed rap as early as 1980. Bone Thugs were definitely faster and sound different, but they weren't the first ones to come up with the idea of rapping faster (or twice as fast) as the other rappers in their era.

As far as influence and creativity goes, Thuggish Ruggish Bone sounds like it could have been on The Chronic, or Doggystyle. It sounds just like what Dr Dre was doing around that time. And considering Eazy E signed them, I'm inclined to believe that Easy saw what Dre was doing and used that style with Bone.

I never really got into Bone Thugs, I bought their Greatest Hits album and it was cool, but I wouldn't consider them one of my favorites. They're cool though. I don't have anything negative to say about them.

I will admit that they absolutely destroyed The Points Remix.

They go in @ 5:54

You need to listen to E. 1999 Eternal to get Bone at their best. Not their greatest hits album.

Aa u back for more? Nh

View attachment 151282

I see.

I wrote those dead rappers because they were ALIVE when bone made songs with them. None were posthumous.

I've seen Wu live twice and Bone live twice. Both were in the us and Europe.

Guess who had the bigger stage? Who was sold out.

Guess which one them has a Grammy?

Reason why I said the shit with smoking is because we spoke about influence, Bone got alot of people to smoke. I went back and forth to Europe, us and I've visited africa. Never seen such a cult as bone.

And so many potheads that say bone influenced them to smoke as weird as it sounds. Which in part means Cypress hills constant talk of weed did not influence fans worldwide such as bone.

Bone influenced alot of people to rap fast as well because they were the biggest one doing it.

U seem to forget this thread is about influence and not about who did what first.

Ice-T might've been first out with west coast gangsta rap but that nigga garbo. So when NWA came out it took the world by storm. Hence influencing the rest of the world. Even Eazy E gets called the godfather of gangsta rap...but wasn't schooly d and Iceberg before him?

Influence b.

Bone single handedly put Cleveland on the map.

And everybody was calling them self Gs in the 90s but no one was running with this thug shit until pac stole it from bone.

Mfs Just used to say they were bad.

All the shit I said in my last post was about influence and who popularized it. Not who was first.

T-pain made autotune popular, and every artist that came out with autotune we used to call a tpain clone. Even when future first came out.

But that doesn't mean roger troutman wasn't doing it

CONJECTURE. You are tailoring your argument around your own opinion to make it seem factual. You keep saying influence but you seem to forget that every post that I've made has given you concrete examples of the Clan's influence on not only the rap game but the culture itself. I know you want your team to win and that's cool too but bone's impact pales in comparison to the Clan (once again I gave you plenty examples as to why in my previous posts).

Then again, I guess you got what you wanted because more people in this thread think they're a top five group compared to those who don't. So we can all smoke weed to that and celebrate like it's the first of the month (wake up, wake up, wake up). In the end, we're just going to see things differently and that's cool too. I've enjoyed this debate but nothing was shut down. So as a final thought, I leave you with this, Peace to you and all the fans of the almighty Wu-Tang Clan and BTNH. Also, I would like to quote The RZA and then Method Man:

"Strong as the base of a mountain, there's no counting
How many MCs have sprung from our fountain?" The RZA

"Too many flavors, y'all ain't fucking with one." Method Man.

Back