Welcome To aBlackWeb

IP360 PRESENTS: MY JOURNEY TO BUILDING MY OWN GAMING PC

IP360

Doctorate & Ph.D in Bootyology
Hi my name is IP360. And I'm seriously considering building my own gaming PC. Like VERY serious. So I wanted to create a thread documenting my journey. Plus...maybe get some advice from my ABW PC experts. With that being said...

Step 1: Da Case

Now...where do I start? I'm still researching on what type, and was thinking a mid tower. Those seem like the perfect size. Didn't want anything TOO big that takes up a lot of space. Saw the smaller size cases, but nothing caught my attention.

I decided to check out the Cosair website as a starting point. Saw this one that I kinda like...

Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA RGB Mid-Tower Tempered Glass Gaming Case — Black (corsair.com)

Then I also checked out a spot called Micro Center. Looked at their website and saw this one that i liked as well...

MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Micro Center

Any thoughts or advice yall could give regarding cases? What are the do's and don'ts when buying one?

Last edited:
Really want to get back into pc gaming. Just dont got the space or money for it at the moment

Microcenter is a great store. There is one like 30min away from me. Got my PC from there. I didnt feel like create one from scratch though.

There's one near me also.

I wanted to create one from scratch b/c i was always curious about doin one. Two coworkers and my brotha-n-law built their own PC from scratch. All 3 mentioned how they had that sense of "accomplishment" after they finished. So I'm definitely lookin forward to that.

Curious but why did you delete your post from the build a PC thread

Curious but why did you delete your post from the build a PC thread

Figured it made sense to put that here. Since I wanted to document my own personal journey. Rather than bombarding all that in the other thread.

What type of games will you be playing and what kind of memory/ storage you plan starting off with?

What type of games will you be playing and what kind of memory/ storage you plan starting off with?

Now does it matter? B/c I assume games like League of Legends...World of War Craft...Apex Legends...etc require a lot of speed and memory. But those types don't interest me. So pretty much anything outside those.

Back to storage & memory...haven't gotten to that phase yet. But I guess the size of the case determines how much memory & storage it can hold correct?

Now does it matter? B/c I assume games like League of Legends...World of War Craft...Apex Legends...etc require a lot of speed and memory. But those types don't interest me. So pretty much anything outside those.

Back to storage & memory...haven't gotten to that phase yet. But I guess the size of the case determines how much memory & storage it can hold correct?
I have no idea. I don't have that much knowledge about it other than you'll need a good graphic card,ram and memory

When it comes to storage, I would say go for at least a 1TB SSD

might want to use another SSD just to hold the OS and use that as a boot drive and use another for storage

ONLY ONE WILL WIN: DA FINAL 2

Welp...after extensive search, I think I've FINALLY narrowed it down to the final 2 choices.

Choice #1:

Choice #2:

I'm kinda leaning towards the 1st one. A lot of the comments have been positive thus far. While searching, one of the factors I saw in finding a case was cooling.

Folks like the designs and look of a lot of these cases, but had issues wit the fans. Guess that's something put at the top of my list. Hopefully in the next few days...I'd made my final choice.

Da saga continues

Last edited:
Bruh, you didn't even mention the most important detail: your BUDGET!

How much you setting aside for this build?

Good question. Let's see...
tenor.gif

Uhhh...haven't laid out an "official" budget just yet. Lol!

I know the more expensive shyt like (processor chip, memory, etc.) I would have to set aside money for those. As far as the other components...I'll probably get them along the way. I mean at least that's the plan.

Subject to change of course.

Some advice from a PC builder ( I have built and/or repaired dozens of computers for friends, family, and customers:

1. Your budget needs to be set; those games you mentioned are not graphics-intensive. Still, I would budget 2k for the build.

2. A mid-size case is a good choice. Corsair makes great cases like the one you picked.

3. Do not buy an SSD for storage. Buy a top-tier PCIe NVMe SSD like the SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB. Use that as your operating system drive. Then get a HDD like the Seagate IronWolf 8TB for storage.

4. You want a good motherboard that can allow at least 32GB of RAM. Make sure it is a PCIe 4.0 board.

5. Get a 850W PSU and make sure it is modular and has a fan. You want to have room to grow with respect to power availability.

6. Get 32GB of quality RAM.

7. Go for an AIO liquid CPU cooler. Corsair has some good options. Do not waste your money on their iCue line. Not worth the headache.

8. CPU. Intel or AMD? I recommend Intel for the power, but AMD provides the better value. At least get a CPU that has at minimum 6 physical cores (12 multi-thread).

9. Monitor. Gaming at high resolutions? 120Hz monitors are really smooth and affordable.

10. GPU. The centerpiece of a gaming PC. Again, a choice. Nvidia or AMD. Right now, AMD has the crown with power and value. Get the highest level card you can afford within your budget. I recommend getting the GPU first so you know what's left of your budget.

11. Keyboard and mouse. True gamers don't game on wireless due to potential lag. Your choice.

12. Quality gaming headset. PC speakers.

13. You will need to have all your software ready to install, unless you are migrating from a previous build. I do not recommend that though. A clean install is the best option with a new build.

14. Take your time, lay everything out, read the instructions, and have fun.

Post if you run into issues or have questions.

Some advice from a PC builder ( I have built and/or repaired dozens of computers for friends, family, and customers:

1. Your budget needs to be set; those games you mentioned are not graphics-intensive. Still, I would budget 2k for the build.

2. A mid-size case is a good choice. Corsair makes great cases like the one you picked.

3. Do not buy an SSD for storage. Buy a top-tier PCIe NVMe SSD like the SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB. Use that as your operating system drive. Then get a HDD like the Seagate IronWolf 8TB for storage.

4. You want a good motherboard that can allow at least 32GB of RAM. Make sure it is a PCIe 4.0 board.

5. Get a 850W PSU and make sure it is modular and has a fan. You want to have room to grow with respect to power availability.

6. Get 32GB of quality RAM.

7. Go for an AIO liquid CPU cooler. Corsair has some good options. Do not waste your money on their iCue line. Not worth the headache.

8. CPU. Intel or AMD? I recommend Intel for the power, but AMD provides the better value. At least get a CPU that has at minimum 6 physical cores (12 multi-thread).

9. Monitor. Gaming at high resolutions? 120Hz monitors are really smooth and affordable.

10. GPU. The centerpiece of a gaming PC. Again, a choice. Nvidia or AMD. Right now, AMD has the crown with power and value. Get the highest level card you can afford within your budget. I recommend getting the GPU first so you know what's left of your budget.

11. Keyboard and mouse. True gamers don't game on wireless due to potential lag. Your choice.

12. Quality gaming headset. PC speakers.

13. You will need to have all your software ready to install, unless you are migrating from a previous build. I do not recommend that though. A clean install is the best option with a new build.

14. Take your time, lay everything out, read the instructions, and have fun.

Post if you run into issues or have questions.

tenor-2.gif

You a real one for this brotha. Appreciate the knowledge.

Back