Welcome To aBlackWeb

In His Prime Series, Vol.2. How Good Was...Eminem?

During his prime years, was he...

• Total voters
This is a short series on rappers who were at one point dope and either lost their skill or fell out of the conversation. Were they ever considered to be top 3/5 spitters at the time? Not about GOATs, just top 3/5 during the time period you believe they were in their best form.

In his prime, how good was Eminem?

I wanna say top 3 or some shit but listening to some of his stuff when he came out..

Lyrically......really don't wanna say this cause he's white but, he had his time when he was the best around

I never got into the rappers rhyming words just to be rhyming them. Yes it is a aspect of rhyming but to me personally that shit trash and should never be the a measuring stick to why you should be a top rapper. What a bout the music, those trash singles that no other artist especially black could get away with. You can rhyme words with orange and say miracle, spiritual, lyrical foh.

Even some of the production on his good singles make his music sound like that shit they play on kiss 107.

He had the help and cosign of one of the greatest, most influential producers of all time and a strong backing from a jew.

Top 10. Probably 7-8. Going off lyrics. That era was competitive as fuck, and imo there were better lyricists

I'm a be honest... The first song I heard from Em sounded wack as fuck to me. I remember I was getting ready to go to school and was sitting at the table eating breakfast and "I Just Don't Give A Fuck" video came on. I listened to that shit and thought it was straight trash. I heard his first album while riding in the car with my step-mom and her son & nephew and they (the kids) was just loving that shit. I thought it was wack.

Jump to the summer of 2002 the media constantly got Eminem in they news segments b/c he was saying/doing "controversial" shit. So I said fuck it, I had a lil money to blow and copped "The Eminem Show". Was I surprised... slim shady delivered a classic. Dude really showed he wasn't fuckin around.

Top 5-10.

The machine pushed him but the bars were there

SSLP-Eminem Show was him showing out everywhere

This is an accurate Eminem take IMO. Eminem was probably the rapper, who was most pushed by the machine in the history of rap. However, the guy clearly possessed talent and in his prime was easily a top 5 MC. Was all his material relatable to hood niggas or brown people, no. But then again, not all Brown and blacks are selling drugs or in close proximity to that lifestyle and still find a way to relate to Gang banging music. Kanye shrug....

Eminem destroyed a nobody rapper in Benzino as 50 & GUnit destroyed Ja Rule & Murder Inc careers. I do agree that by Em having the backing of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine he remained a household name for years mainly due to mostly White America buying his albums. He did have the talent to back up all of it and solidify legacy.

Last edited:
I’ve never could say he was the best at any point but from 99-03 he was top 5. Can’t take that period away from him.

Probably Top 3 at the time. SS was a funny comedy album by the first white boy I heard that can actually rap. He got serious lyrically in 2000 with MM which to me put him at the top that year.

But then he took a backseat to Nas n Jay beef along with 2 of the most critically acclaimed albums that year Blueprint and Stillmatic.

He followed up strong with Eminem Show/8 Mile, Lose Yourself being a huge record, I think he had it in ‘02. So yeah Top 3 imo.

I voted Top 5, only because there was no choice for a top 10..

He had the machine behind him and he had a few notable moments like Renegade and the BET Cipher with Moe Def & Black Thought. Otherwise, I wasn't feeling his production or his whole style.

Jay, Nas, Busta, Cam'ron, Jadakiss >>> all better than Eminem

My only thing about the ja beef was ja kilt em with the Kim & Hailey bar.....

Em ain't top that

Back